The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TT Patchbay Setup Diagram, Opinions? JPG and PDF Attached! Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 16th December 2010
TT Patchbay Setup Diagram, Opinions? JPG and PDF Attached!

I've attached a diagram of a 96pt TT patchbay setup that I think is going to work well for me and my gear. I'd like some of the more experienced Slutz to take a look and give me some opinions, poke some holes, point out some fatal flaws, if any. Here's the gear:

Lynx Aurora 16
96pt TT Patchbay with Dsub outs

Vintech 1272 Pre (2ch)
UA 2-610 (2ch mic and line in)
Avalon 737sp (mic and line in - single channel)
ADL1000 comp (mono)
* note that I've left one extra space for another mono pre, and I'm planning on selling the ADL1000 and getting a 2ch comp like the 2-1176, so I've substituted that in the layout for the ADL*

Tape cassette deck
1200 Turntable
Sony DAT
Otari 2tr Reel
(ADAT too, but is lightpipe and doesn't need patching)

Presonus FireStudio

SPL MTC2381 Monitor Controller

I never really use more than 4 mics at a time for most projects, but I have the Presonus set up in case I need more, but without the firewire, so the Lynx can do the conversion.

I also want to be setup to do HQ transfers from whatever to whatever.

Also indicated in the diagram is what the dsub on the PB is terminating to (another dsub, xlr, etc.)

I'm only using 8ch out from the lynx because 1) there are no more channels left in the top row and 2) in the future I'd like to use those for surround monitoring.

With this setup I can even use the SPL as a summing box if necessary.

Please let me know what you think!
Attached Thumbnails
TT Patchbay Setup Diagram, Opinions?  JPG and PDF Attached!-patchbaysetup.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PatchbaySetupPDF.pdf (646.7 KB, 548 views)
Old 18th December 2010
Not even a thumbs up or thumbs down for this many views? dfegad
Old 18th December 2010
Vum
Lives for gear

Careful with phantom power in the jackfield. If you are running phantom power through the patchbay and plug/unplug the cable you bridge the current to the earth and run the risk of seriously damaging the equipment in your signal chain including the microphone.

This is usually not an issue to the studio owner as we're the ones who design and wire the control room but, visiting engineers, producers etc are likely to be the ones that pull a hot wire from the field. The result really isn't their fault. I recommend serious legending above the channels where you'll be patching this power or consider using an XLR patchbay.
Old 20th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vum View Post
Careful with phantom power in the jackfield. If you are running phantom power through the patchbay and plug/unplug the cable you bridge the current to the earth and run the risk of seriously damaging the equipment in your signal chain including the microphone.

This is usually not an issue to the studio owner as we're the ones who design and wire the control room but, visiting engineers, producers etc are likely to be the ones that pull a hot wire from the field. The result really isn't their fault. I recommend serious legending above the channels where you'll be patching this power or consider using an XLR patchbay.
I've considered that, and I've revisited that issue now that you mentioned it. After searching the forums, I'm still unclear about a basic principle...

If I put the pres in an XLR patchbay, does that mean I'll need several XLR-TT patch cables? I assume that's how it's done. Please understand, that I've never actually seen a setup where the pres are in a seperate XLR patchbay.

I may have other engineers using this setup however, in consideration of the phantom issue, I've half-normalled the studio snake to the pre inputs. on the other end of the snake is an XLR stage box. Any engineer worth his salt would know that those inputs go directly to the pres (albeit through the patchbay). So, in a way, the snake is an XLR patchbay. As a further safeguard, I could make those snake channels "thru" rather than half-normalled, but that would be less convenient for me, who will use the PB more than anyone.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have XLR bay for mic pre inputs, and the mic pre outputs are on a TT bay half-normalled with my desk's line in.

I'd never use a TT (or TRS) bay for mics, I tend to forget the phantom power on when sessions are in overdrive mode.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I use a separate 1RU XLR-F panel for mic inputs that is wired to the outboard mic pre inputs. Mic level signals are not typically routed through patch panels since the signal level is not compatible with all of the other gear.

I would half-normal the outputs of the Presonus unit to the Lynx inputs 9-16 just like you've done for inputs 1-8.

Set up outboard comp, EQ, and effects on non-normalled channels with input and output vertically aligned.

Leave some space for mults and other utility items like pads and attenuators.
Old 20th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao B. View Post
I have XLR bay for mic pre inputs, and the mic pre outputs are on a TT bay half-normalled with my desk's line in.

I'd never use a TT (or TRS) bay for mics, I tend to forget the phantom power on when sessions are in overdrive mode.
ok, then how do you get signal to the XLRs? Mic cable direct to mic? Snake from wall box? from Patchbay?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Studio RI View Post
ok, then how do you get signal to the XLRs? Mic cable direct to mic? Snake from wall box? from Patchbay?
I'm just running mic cables into the front of my XLR mic in panel, but you could also use a snake. Using the XLR mic in patch panel lets me choose the pre amp for each mic signal from the front while leaving all connections to the mic pre connected permanently.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

I've got all of my mic pre inputs connected directly to the snake that runs from the studio floor. When setting up mics, I know which channels on the snake go to which pres, so there's not really a problem. If I want a mic to route to a different pre, I plug it into the required channel on the snake box in the studio.

Michael
Old 27th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Loomis View Post
I've got all of my mic pre inputs connected directly to the snake that runs from the studio floor. When setting up mics, I know which channels on the snake go to which pres, so there's not really a problem. If I want a mic to route to a different pre, I plug it into the required channel on the snake box in the studio.

Michael
That's kinda the idea in my design, except that the studio snake runs to the patchbay, half normalled to the pre ins. I just choose the channel on the snake, and I know which pre it will go to. The only reason I'm not running them direct is that the snake has 2 dsub connectors (16ch) and the pres are in a different rack than the rest of the snake components. I think I'll be ok with it.
Old 29th December 2010
As i'm diagraming the cables that I need to make for this rig, I found a "fatal flaw". There are no points for tape machine inputs! How could I record something to the reel or cassette without the inputs? Ha! So, I guess the blank spot on the PB is not going to be so blank.
Old 29th December 2010
This is how I just set mine up. I am using a lot more I/O to what you have but it may help you. I do not patch a thing unless I am tracking. Otherwise everything is inserted in Pro Tools via the tt bays. I have all the 1/4" stuff like the room lines and the pre inputs to those bays while all the line level things are in the tt bays for mixing. it really works well. I I need stuff for tracking I just patch to it.

Hope this helps?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MonumentSoundPatchbay.pdf (266.3 KB, 610 views)
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelDoc View Post
This is how I just set mine up. I am using a lot more I/O to what you have but it may help you. I do not patch a thing unless I am tracking. Otherwise everything is inserted in Pro Tools via the tt bays. I have all the 1/4" stuff like the room lines and the pre inputs to those bays while all the line level things are in the tt bays for mixing. it really works well. I I need stuff for tracking I just patch to it.

Hope this helps?
So, you deviated from the "outs on top" for the first two PB's? It's a nice setup. My PB is setup more for tracking as yours is more for mixing. I'm going to mix mainly ITB, though I'm quite excited to see if the SPL works as a summing box.

I just mapped out the cabling and I'm going to have to solder 46 dsub connectors!!! This is going to be a mobile system, otherwise It would be more like 25 or so. Still a lot, and wayyy more economical than buying the cables custom made.
Old 30th December 2010
actually that is how the Switchcraft bays are laid out as far as ins and outs on the back. I t made more sense for me too so I ran with it.
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelDoc View Post
actually that is how the Switchcraft bays are laid out as far as ins and outs on the back. I t made more sense for me too so I ran with it.
Ha. Aint that somethin' lol. Function trumps the status quo, of course.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search