The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Protools PC
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Protools PC

So what is the latest setup? I have made a few carts in newegg deciding on what to get. My current setup is ROCK solid using an AMD. Been so solid for so long I don't know what is current.

And the DUC doesn't have anything recently Digi approved. Unless it is Intel. Even then... Very confusing as what will work now.

Last time I bought 2 motherboards etc to make sure it worked. I need an upgrade but am solid right now. So gonna drop my current setup into a spare chassis. Don't want to buy something that pro tools hates. I have 2 LE computers on call right now.

I have licenses for xp pro and Pro Tools 8.xx but expect to license Win 7 for this new one.

Any advice?

Thanks,
John
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

i am in the same boat as you, exactly.

i decided to go with an Intel i7 950 build, gigabyte motherboard, kingston RAM, antec take 4 rackmount case, NVIDIA GTS 250 video card, 2 1 TB westerd digital cavier drives and SSL madi extreme64 card with the alpha link ax

build your own for sure...i had a lot of help and it paid off!!!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks you try it yet? I need a new PT computer. Do the solid state drives work for at least OS. I know I used RAID drives for my OS no problem. And sata for recording.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagefright13 View Post
Thanks you try it yet? I need a new PT computer. Do the solid state drives work for at least OS. I know I used RAID drives for my OS no problem. And sata for recording.
SSDs work fantastically for the OS. I set up an intel X25 80GB SSD for my OS and then put my data drives on D:\ as a 10kRPM or 7200 RPM standard disks. If you put PT9 on the SSD drive (just the software, not your session files), it is much, much faster.

Just don't run out of space on C:\
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Be especially careful right now with Avid recommendations for new systems: they recommended my laptop as approved for Windows (1 of 2 on the whole market). That got me excited. . . until I found out it has an ATI video card and PT9 on Windows wants Nvidia. Also, they say eSATA is fine, but don't tell you it slows it down and rains on your track count.

They've had a lot on their plate lately . . . so just make sure you really research their recommendations. It's probably easier on the desktop side. Relatively.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search