The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hey, any of you west coast engineers! Gino Vannelli! Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 11th December 2011
Lives for gear

Let´s hope so !

Hey J, have you seen Thomas Dolbys "The Nutmeg" ???

WT
Old 11th December 2011
Gear Maniac

I have not. I'll check it out!

J.
Old 11th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Doah! I thought you were referring to some new music. Yes, very cool studio!! He and we were featured in a book "The Green Musician" Love this stuff! Jeff
Old 11th December 2011
Lives for gear

Thought you might like it seeing as you´re also recording Eco-friendly.

WT
Old 11th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanx WT! I just watched the Keyboard Mag interview with Thomas Dolby on the Nutmeg that I had not seen before. Love TD! Peace~Jeff
Old 11th December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianFernandez View Post
Wow, Leon! Nice to have aboard...
BTB is such an amazing album... As a drummer myself, would you mind sharing details about how the rhythm section was tracked and how was to work with Mark... Thanks!
I grew up with Mark Craney. When we were in high school, he was in a competing band called Rushmore. Even back then, he was an amazing drummer, and he just got better and better. He started developing that high hat technique of his way back then. One night circa 1979 or 80, I sat close to his kit in a little club in South Dakota to study what he was doing so I could maybe learn something. Tried to figure out how he could do a fast steady roll with one hand! I was so blown away by his playing that night that I realized I wasn't even what I would call a real drummer by comparison and quit being a "drummer." In addition to being (what I firmly believe) the best drummer in rock and roll ever, he was a very cool and humble guy that never got a big head and never forgot his friends back in the sticks. I really miss him.
Old 16th January 2013
Gear Maniac

Just wanted to pop in here and say that I an another engineer musician that can directly trace his inspiration back to Gino and Joe Vannelli. Powerful People and Storm At Sunup changed my life. I have devoted my life to attempting to make records that aspire to that level of sonic excellence. Brian Tankerley once mentioned he was similarly influenced, then he got the chance to work with them. If BT is hanging around I bet he has some stories too.
P. L.
Old 16th January 2013
Great post! Happy to hear all of the great words for Gino. He truly is an incredible all around musician, producer, and engineer. I am Gino's current tour manager and monitor engineer. I have worked in the studio with him as well. He has a great studio spot right now. Feel free to ask any questions if you would like.

-Matt
Old 16th January 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini Hill View Post
There must be some engineers or studio assistants/temps in "Gear Sluts land" that participated in a few of these incredible recordings????

J.
J. -

I don't have too much to add, but like many others, I too was influenced by the Vannelli sound.

I DO know that one of my mentors - Ronnie Capone - worked with Gino and Joe while he was out here on the west coast. Among other things (like playing drums for Elvis at one point), Ronnie was largely responsible for the Stax sound during that seminal period while he lived in memphis and engineered for them : Sam & Dave, Rufus, Staples Singers, Tower of Power, Otis Redding, Isaac Hayes, Booker T & the MG's, Jeff Beck, Albert King, and on and on and on.... Really, and amazing career and completely under the radar engineer that I rarely hear about. He could do it all - from Orchestras to R&B.

Ronnie took me under his wings for awhile during his stint on the West Coast. He was a good ol boy, and humble and helpful beyond belief with someone (me) who was so green at the time.... I remember hanging with him one day during the period he was working with Gino and Joe. (BTW, he NEVER told me any of the above credits other than a very humble "I used to work at Stax" comment one day). Anyway, I believe the studio was Westwind, but I could be wrong, man that was a long time ago.

The story I remember is that when they were recording drums (Mark Craney I believe) Gino & Joe wanted the studio so cold that Mark had to wear a heavy coat while playing drums. I think they had it down around 60 degrees or even lower if I remember right - they had to chill the studio before the sessions. heh They liked the way the cymbals sounded when they were cold. Evidently they did a lot of temperature comparisons?!?!?

Anyway, great stories all. I miss Ron, and found at one point when I was looking for him that he had just passed away a few months earlier. A very sad day for me as I don't think I would be where I am without his encouragement. I still miss his influence in the industry and the helpful, humble words he always had for me.....

Ahhhh, the good old days. Sorry if it's slightly off topic....
Old 16th January 2013
Gear Maniac

Great to hear from you Matt!! Yes, any studio stories/tips/tricks that you can recall would be awesome!! How long have you been working for Gino?. Possible that we have met as I have traveled far to see Gino over the years. The last show that I caught was in LV at the Flamingo a couple of years ago. It was in Barry Manilow's new room at the time. The sound/acoustics were just astounding and the best that I have ever heard Gino. Absolutely perfect for Gino's voice and the bands dynamics!! Brilliant!!

Anyway, do share!!

Dr. Bill...........

"The story I remember is that when they were recording drums (Mark Craney I believe) Gino & Joe wanted the studio so cold that Mark had to wear a heavy coat while playing drums. I think they had it down around 60 degrees or even lower if I remember right - they had to chill the studio before the sessions. They liked the way the cymbals sounded when they were cold. Evidently they did a lot of temperature comparisons?!?!?"

Not OT Dr. Bill!! I love this story!! I'll bet that there are a lot more like this one!

Peace~Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Greco View Post
Great post! Happy to hear all of the great words for Gino. He truly is an incredible all around musician, producer, and engineer. I am Gino's current tour manager and monitor engineer. I have worked in the studio with him as well. He has a great studio spot right now. Feel free to ask any questions if you would like.

-Matt
Old 16th January 2013
Gear Maniac

Also, I would love to hear what kind of gear he and Joe are using in the studio these days. Mics/pres especially. I remember way back at Joe's studio in Agoura that they were heavy into O2r's and such. Wondering what they are into these days!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Greco View Post

-Matt
Old 16th January 2013
Quote:
Great to hear from you Matt!! Yes, any studio stories/tips/tricks that you can recall would be awesome!! How long have you been working for Gino?. Possible that we have met as I have traveled far to see Gino over the years. The last show that I caught was in LV at the Flamingo a couple of years ago. It was in Barry Manilow's new room at the time. The sound/acoustics were just astounding and the best that I have ever heard Gino. Absolutely perfect for Gino's voice and the bands dynamics!! Brilliant!!

Anyway, do share!!
Hey Jeff,

I haven't been working for Gino for that long. Just started with him this last summer, so unfortunately not too many stories. Gino is definitely a perfectionist. He challenges you as an engineer because he is such a solid engineer himself. I remember the band guys telling me to listen to everything Gino says EQ wise because he can name frequencies like his has perfect pitch.
Gino and Ross are the main guys now. Ross does FOH and gets the room really rockin. He is also Gino's manager. I do monitors and the tour management stuff. On tour I bring a Roland M380, a couple of MOTU ultralites, and a couple Macbook Pros running DP. No crazy stories yet except for the usual tour stuff. As far as tips Gino likes lots of verb and high shelving on his vocals. Nothing really ground breaking, but it sounds great. He is also very particular about his piano sounds. I guess that's it for now.

-Matt
Old 16th January 2013
Quote:
Also, I would love to hear what kind of gear he and Joe are using in the studio these days. Mics/pres especially. I remember way back at Joe's studio in Agoura that they were heavy into O2r's and such. Wondering what they are into these days!

Jeff
Not sure about Joe. He is in LA with Ross. Gino has a LaChapell Audio Model 992 that he uses for vocals. He has the new symphony system, which sounds incredible. Also just started using a Hilo for printing mixes. He's also using the new Opals for monitoring, which I really love and will most likely get a pair for my studio. Everything is in Digital Performer with summing via Manley. Man I always loved those O2r's...
Old 13th February 2013
Here for the gear

Been there...

Wow, after all these years finally found something to make me register and offer my first post...

I was Ron Capone's 2nd engineer at Westwind in Thousand Oaks before moving to Pasha, and was there during the Gino sessions. I remember Joe being very cool and really Gino as well.

My fond story was that Gino keep asking to have the headphones turned up and finally it must have clipped resulting in Gino slamming the headphones to the floor with some expletive. Shattered a fine pair of headphones all over the studio floor--some silent stares in the control for awhile. All in all he was good to work with, but indeed a perfectionist.
Dr. Bill...we may have met?

Can never say enough great things about Ron Capone. He had more talent in two faders than most engineers have in an entire console...and the warm, generous personality to boot.

Sig Knapstad
Old 13th February 2013
Gear Maniac

OMG! I'm so sorry that I missed this Matt. I didn't get the notification until Sig's post!

Thank you so much for the detailed replies!! How cool!! Yes, I met Ross a couple of times in Detroit. One evening, he and Gino were both kind and gratuitous enough to show me around the console/setup etc. I ended up helping with some stuff! After that particular show, Joe was also kind enough to sit (for close to an hour) and chat about music and gear. Man he loves to talk tech and gear!!! A true gear slut! :-)

Love that they are doing DP now! Long time DP user here. Getting ready to pounce on DP8! I am also summing via Dangerous. Does he have any hardware on the 2-buss after the Manley?

I have always loved his vocal chain. Especially the FX setup. Seems like he has a magic formula for delay and or pre-delay into verb/room etc. Can you share Gino's FX setup/chain/preference? I know, at the end of the day, it is the pipes, not the gear, but this is Gear Slutz right? :-D

Anyway, you have been so awesome to share this stuff with us!!!

Peace~Jeff
Old 13th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Welcome to GS Sig!!

Thanx for adding to my Gino thread! Wow, great stuff! I'll bet that there is a ton of memories of working at Westwind back in the day!!

Thanx for posting!!! Please feel free to post more when memory jogs~

Oh to be a fly on the wall!

Peace~Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutting Edge View Post
Wow, after all these years finally found something to make me register and offer my first post...

I was Ron Capone's 2nd engineer at Westwind in Thousand Oaks before moving to Pasha, and was there during the Gino sessions. I remember Joe being very cool and really Gino as well.

My fond story was that Gino keep asking to have the headphones turned up and finally it must have clipped resulting in Gino slamming the headphones to the floor with some expletive. Shattered a fine pair of headphones all over the studio floor--some silent stares in the control for awhile. All in all he was good to work with, but indeed a perfectionist.

Can never say enough great things about Ron Capone. He had more talent in two faders than most engineers have in an entire console...and the warm, generous personality to boot.

Sig Knapstad
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

Awesome thread! Big fan as well!

For more info on the incredible Mark Craney (including additional tidbits about Vannelli, etc):

Mark Craney Official Website
Old 13th February 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:

Sig Knapstad
Hi Sig! Welcome to the madhouse,,,,,

Yes, we may have met, but it's been a looooong time, and my memory is a little fuzzy on those days.

I know it's off topic, but yeah, Ron...... Man, he left us way too early. What a gracious guy, and amazing engineer. Knowing what I know now, there is at least once a week where I wish I could pick up the phone and ask him a question. Alas, I guess I'll have to wait until we're both gigging in the sky...

One thing that haunts me, and I'll ask you because no one besides Ron that I've ever met has known - I've heard Steve Cropper say that Ronnie taught him how to mic up a leslie cabinet, and that everyone else he's met has done it "wrong". (At least in his opinion.) As a HUGE BookerT fan - and really a fan of all the cool R&B stuff out of Memphis back in the day, and as a Leslie owner and wannabe organist myself, I'd sure love to know how Ronnie mic'd up a Leslie. Those old records are like my DNA. Embedded in my soul. Any comment on that? Did Ron ever share that with you?

Thanks in advance! And again, welcome.

Bill
Old 13th February 2013
I played with a 10 piece band in Miami in the late 70's. it was a killer band and we played all kinds of music. When I heard b2b I was blown away and we had to play some of those tunes. We did 3 tracks off that album, the hardest IMO was b2b. As the bass player it was a challenge to pull off Leon and Jimmy's parts every nite. Our drummer had to work hard to nail Mark's parts too. Gino came to Miami touring behind that record and I took the night off to see him. The music and musianship was great, but I was personally disappointed because Jimmy wasn't there and the bass player didn't play the solos. Still it was great.

BTW take a minute to check out the tribute site for Mark Chaney. It quite a story, well worth the read.

The official web site of Mark Craney
Old 15th February 2013
Here for the gear

Hey Dr. Bill...
Oddly, I've heard those comments about the Caponesque Leslie technique as well.
Ron shared so much, but we never had that opportunity. I'm also a keys player and had a C3/Leslie at the time that I left at the studio and would play it often, but never any sage advice from the master. The timing of this is odd, because I am starting a new retro/1971 project and damn if I don't ask myself often how he would have done it.
At my work now, we deal a bit with Booker T., what an amazing talent and gentle soul--he and Ron had a mutual admiration society thing going.

Apologies to all if we are hi-jacking this thread to become a Capone tribute. Would love to share some Ron gems.
Best,
Sig
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hey Dr. Bill...
Oddly, I've heard those comments about the Caponesque Leslie technique as well.
Ron shared so much, but we never had that opportunity. I'm also a keys player and had a C3/Leslie at the time that I left at the studio and would play it often, but never any sage advice from the master. The timing of this is odd, because I am starting a new retro/1971 project and damn if I don't ask myself often how he would have done it.
At my work now, we deal a bit with Booker T., what an amazing talent and gentle soul--he and Ron had a mutual admiration society thing going.

Apologies to all if we are hi-jacking this thread to become a Capone tribute. Would love to share some Ron gems.
Best,
Sig
Hey Sig, thanks. Love to hear those Ron gems! Either here or on another thread. (Feel free to start one, and PM me, I'll show up. heh)

Maybe BookerT remembers how Ron did it? Worth asking him next time you see him. Thanks for sharing.

bp
Old 15th February 2013
Here for the gear

Very brief one.

Shortly after moving to Los Angeles I was performing at a showcase for SBK records
at Mate's in North Hollywood, and I am walking down the hall and I said to to a very Italian looking guy "are you Gino Vanelli?" And he smiled and said "yes". I heaped accolades on him and told him of the influence he had on me, and he asked if I would like to come and check things out. Of course I followed along like a puppy into the big room and showed me around and then asked me if I would like to come back later to sit in on rehearsal. He was incredibly nice, very down to earth, infinitely approachable and extremely gracious. I was not able to attend that rehearsal, but had a "Gino" moment all the same. Around the same time I met Maurice White in the kitchen of a major LA studio and after giving me a huge hug (I had never met him before) asked me if I wanted to come in the studio and listen to what he was working on (Studio 55 on Melrose). Both happened 20 years ago when the music business was a kinder gentler place!

GREAT thread btw - Thank you!!
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Addict

Big Gino fan here. I'm particularly interested in his Black Cars period. The majority of that album was tracked by Gino and Joe in their own studio at the time. It's such an open sounding record and is so sonically balanced. Would love to hear stories about that but I doubt there were that many people around their studio when they were making it. Gino plays drums on 2 or 3 of the tracks and guitar on 2 or 3 as well.
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Maniac

Would love to hear about this as well!! What an awesome record. Chocked full of ear candy as well!!

I have the original, first release, vinyl version of this that was acquired as an import from a French indie label, which I think was Gino's only option, for some reason, to release at the time. I remember that it took a couple of months to receive it! :-) It has a much deeper and richer sound to it than the cd.

Fun stuff!

Peace~Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor27 View Post
Big Gino fan here. I'm particularly interested in his Black Cars period. The majority of that album was tracked by Gino and Joe in their own studio at the time. It's such an open sounding record and is so sonically balanced. Would love to hear stories about that but I doubt there were that many people around their studio when they were making it. Gino plays drums on 2 or 3 of the tracks and guitar on 2 or 3 as well.
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Maniac

That was amazing!

Thanx for posting!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
I played with a 10 piece band in Miami in the late 70's. it was a killer band and we played all kinds of music. When I heard b2b I was blown away and we had to play some of those tunes. We did 3 tracks off that album, the hardest IMO was b2b. As the bass player it was a challenge to pull off Leon and Jimmy's parts every nite. Our drummer had to work hard to nail Mark's parts too. Gino came to Miami touring behind that record and I took the night off to see him. The music and musianship was great, but I was personally disappointed because Jimmy wasn't there and the bass player didn't play the solos. Still it was great.

BTW take a minute to check out the tribute site for Mark Chaney. It quite a story, well worth the read.

The official web site of Mark Craney
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Would love to hear about this as well!! What an awesome record. Chocked full of ear candy as well!!

I have the original, first release, vinyl version of this that was acquired as an import from a French indie label, which I think was Gino's only option, for some reason, to release at the time. I remember that it took a couple of months to receive it! :-) It has a much deeper and richer sound to it than the cd.

Fun stuff!

Peace~Jeff
Yup. I've tried to look for some sort of information about gear used online and there's not a lot of information. Joe stated in an article in 1990ish that Memorymoogs and the DX7 were used for the synth sounds and that nothing was sequenced apart from a "drumroll" (not sure what song he refers to here), as it was recorded pre-MIDI.

There is also an ad from around this time with Gino for Amek. I assume the picture was of Gino playing guitar seated at their Amek console used for this album. I believe the ad also advertised "Black Cars" as recorded on Amek consoles. Gino was playing a guitar with two humbuckers from what I remember. Ah here : Gino Vannelli ad for Amek

The Lexicon controller on the top of their console is a 224X controller.
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Addict

You can also clearly see Joe's Memorymoog leaning up on the right and he's seated at a Yamaha DX7. Would love to know what synth is on the upper left. Perhaps another DX7? You can also see a Peterson Strobe Tuner. Not sure what the tape machine is, but it looks to be some sort of digital system.
Gino appears to be playing a Yamaha guitar.
Would love to know what's in those racks as they have some pretty interesting effects going on throughout the album...
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Maniac

OMG! Too funny! I have that same Yamaha guitar! Cool stuff!

Yah, I will dig a little when I get a chance. Def a ton of DX-7 or DX something all over that album. Joe was heavy into DX stuff as well as Akai later on. I do know from a conversation with Joe that they eventually starting using O2R's in his studio in LA. I have three of them that I would gladly replace with that Amek! :-D

They are both geniuses!!!

J.
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
OMG! Too funny! I have that same Yamaha guitar! Cool stuff!

Yah, I will dig a little when I get a chance. Def a ton of DX-7 or DX something all over that album. Joe was heavy into DX stuff as well as Akai later on. I do know from a conversation with Joe that they eventually starting using O2R's in his studio in LA. I have three of them that I would gladly replace with that Amek! :-D

They are both geniuses!!!

J.
Yup, the DX 7 is prominent on there because the sounds just cut through the mix. A lot of the sounds are in fact the Memorymoog though. He stressed this in the interview. I'd assume since the DX came out in '84, they started the record with the Memorymoog (Gino originally was supposed to put out an album in '82 on Arista that got shelved called "Twisted Heart", then started work on Black Cars in 1983, wanting complete control over the finished product, hence the home studio), then added the DX later. It's hard to tell as the Memorymoog can do basically all the sounds on the record minus the bell sounds and some of the lead sounds where they have that unmistakable DX7 quality (aliasing).

Along with the 224X, I'd assume they had an Eventide H949 or something and perhaps a couple PCM 42's, maybe a Roland SDE 3000. There wasn't that much choice in gear in those days, as it was right before/in the beginning of the big reverb and effects extravaganza of the 80's.
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Addict

Here's an interview with Joe from last year about some of the earlier keyboard sounds KeyboardMag: An Afternoon With Joe Vannelli

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search