The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Huge Dilemma Need Help! Les Paul with 490R's or P-90's?
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

Huge Dilemma Need Help! Les Paul with 490R's or P-90's?

I already own a Schecter C-1 diamond series with humbuckers. I just bought a Gibson les Paul studio with P-90's. I have been wondering if the regular Les Paul Studio with buckers would be a better fit for me than the P-90's considering i play pop punk (Blink 182 sounding).

Do you guys think it would benefit my band more to have the two different guitars with 2 different pickups (giving me more options) as opposed to two guitars with humbuckers? Would the regular Les Paul Studio with buckers be a better fit for the music I play?

Also, I noticed the hum on the P90s, will this be a problem in the studio? My band is booked for Feb and I am worried. This guitar has to be my workhorse.

Need help! Losing sleep over this lol.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

The only sure way to know is to put it through its paces. You may love it to bits, you may completely dislike it.

I would hasten to add that a Les Paul with humbuckers will still sound different to your Schecter. If its a recent Les Paul, it won't be that much better, if its an old one it will be leagues ahead. But it will still sound different, even if you put the exact same pickups into it as are in the Schecter. So its not necessarily a bad thing to have two guitars with humbuckers...sorta like having two condenser mics. Different flavours of a similar thing.

It can be handy having different kinds of pickups and guitars for different things, but only if you'll use those sounds. All my electrics bar my strat have humbuckers, and they all sound different and have different flavours to them. But its nice having the strat for when I need *that* sound.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
I'd vote for the P90s, they're a great punk pickup. Most studios will have pretty clean power so the hum shouldn't be too much of a problem (lots of p90s on records over the years).
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

49xxs. Eh... I'd prefer Classic '57s or Duncan SH series. But P90s have plenty of punk mojo.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

P90s are what cool guys use.
Old 17th December 2010
Ha ha, so two pages of people telling you that P-90's rock (in your other thread about this) wasn't enough?

P-90's are awesome pickups. Yes, for thick punk and/or rock tones. They will sound thick like humbuckers but with a brighter, clearer top. There might be some hum, but you won't hear it when you're playing, and who cares? It's rock music. Just turn down the volume when you aren't playing (or ask the engineer to edit it out).

Just wanted to drive the point home >>>

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search