The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Top 3 Mixing and Mastering Books Books
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Top 3 Mixing and Mastering Books

Christmas time is fast approaching. My wife wants to surprise me with some wintertime reading material! Please suggest you're top three picks for advanced mixing and mastering.

My choices thus far, and what I feel are at my level/interest are leaning towards:

#1 "Mixing with your Mind"
#2 "Mastering Audio" Second Edition by Bob Katz and
#3 "The Mixing Engineer's Handbook" by Bobby Owsinski

Is there something else that would hold some valuable information or in addition to these picks that I should consider?

Thanx and have a happy holiday everyone!

Jeff
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Head

To me "mixing with your mind" is in a league of its own. The others deal with knowledge but MWYM is about understanding mixing and music. A big difference.... Mixermans latest book "zen and the art of mixing" is funny and entertaining, also a good thing.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

"The Music Producers Handbook" and "The Recording Engineer's Handbook" by Bobby Owsinski is also good!

It`s not about mixing but is relevant anyway...
Old 21st February 2011
Gear Addict

Mixing Engineers handbook

mastering engineers handbook
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

I realize this is an old thread!

I liked The Art of Mixing a lot (visualizing the mix is key to the book)

Zen and the Art of Mixing by Mixerman is quite good, though light on technical details. Good from a philosophical perspective, though.

Mixing Audio by Roey Izhaki is good for the technical stuff. Lots of details, not great writing, though!

Mastering is pretty much the Bob Katz book, IMHO.
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

personal instruction with a pro trumps allthumbsupheh
Old 22nd February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Suitcase View Post
Mixing Audio by Roey Izhaki is good for the technical stuff. Lots of details, not great writing, though!
Love that book as well. Not sure why the writing is awful but if you already have a passing interest in mixing, its a great reference.
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, that's really my favorite.. and I've at least skimmed most of them
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

My proposal is mixing with your mind.
Old 22nd February 2011
Quote:
I realize this is an old thread!

I liked The Art of Mixing a lot (visualizing the mix is key to the book)

Zen and the Art of Mixing by Mixerman is quite good, though light on technical details. Good from a philosophical perspective, though.

Mastering is pretty much the Bob Katz book, IMHO.
Yes, but Mixing With Your Mind is a must own, too.
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

LAME
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
LAME
I agree that you can't capture the nuances and thought process of great mixing in a book. But, I do like to read about mixing, just like I like coming to GS and hearing others' ideas about things.

I'd love to spend a couple of years working with a top shelf mixer, but circumstances prevent that at this point in my life.

A few hours working with a pro is very insightful, but I think it'd take a lot longer to really learn the craft in any depth!
Old 19th January 2015
Here for the gear

Hey guys! Can anyone tell me what are the diferences between the first and second edition of MASTERING AUDIO BY BOB KATZ?! Thnkss!!!! :D
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree that you can't capture the nuances and thought process of great mixing in a book.
I'm not sure I agree. If we can teach through the oral process, why can't it be taught in written form of that oral process? When engineers and producers are learning in studios, is there no talking? No explanation? No oral transfer of knowledge?
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearAndGuitars View Post
I'm not sure I agree. If we can teach through the oral process, why can't it be taught in written form of that oral process? When engineers and producers are learning in studios, is there no talking? No explanation? No oral transfer of knowledge?
Mainly you miss the back and forth. Also, when you're watching someone do something like mixing, they are working with different songs, different tracks, etc. While a video might capture some of that, even there you are usually only seeing an approach to one song. To get the bigger picture of how to think about it, you need to see them working with different things, over a longer time frame, I think.

Not that you can't get 85% of the way there from books and videos, you can. It's that last little bit that I think you get from working with someone, talking to them about their philosophy. Filling in those little gaps, etc.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

This is an old thread but here in 2015, all the other suggestions are fighting against Mike Senior's "Mixing Secrets" for the top spots. Another excellent book.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake View Post
This is an old thread but here in 2015, all the other suggestions are fighting against Mike Senior's "Mixing Secrets" for the top spots. Another excellent book.
Absolutely, a great book!

Mike has a new book out, too: Recording Secrets For The Small Studio by Mike Senior (Cambridge Music Technology)

Mike's a stand up guy, he helped me out a lot when I was launching mixoff.org, judging an epic mixoff contest!
Old 20th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mainly you miss the back and forth. Also, when you're watching someone do something like mixing, they are working with different songs, different tracks, etc. While a video might capture some of that, even there you are usually only seeing an approach to one song. To get the bigger picture of how to think about it, you need to see them working with different things, over a longer time frame, I think.

Not that you can't get 85% of the way there from books and videos, you can. It's that last little bit that I think you get from working with someone, talking to them about their philosophy. Filling in those little gaps, etc.
Of course, but that's like anything. You can only learn so much without doing, but that doesn't that books are not a valuable resource for learning as well.
Old 20th January 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Absolutely, a great book!

Mike has a new book out, too: Recording Secrets For The Small Studio by Mike Senior (Cambridge Music Technology)

!
Nice! Will definitely order a copy of this.
Old 21st January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by feborges View Post
Hey guys! Can anyone tell me what are the diferences between the first and second edition of MASTERING AUDIO BY BOB KATZ?! Thnkss!!!! :D
The third edition just came out. I've ordered it along with Mike Senior's books. Going to have a fun February/March.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search