The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dumb EQ question about boost/cut amounts Channel Strip Plugins
Old 16th December 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Dumb EQ question about boost/cut amounts

When people talk about cutting [email protected] or whatever, are they talking about the numbers on the knob, or what is actually happening to the sound in relation to other bands? For example if I do a really broad high shelf boost of 10dB then I cut [email protected], it's really only down about 6dB or something at 2k.

This is just a weird, unimportant semantic question I know, but I suddenly got curious about it.
Old 17th December 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
FreshSkweez's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post
When people talk about cutting [email protected] or whatever, are they talking about the numbers on the knob, or what is actually happening to the sound in relation to other bands? For example if I do a really broad high shelf boost of 10dB then I cut [email protected], it's really only down about 6dB or something at 2k.

This is just a weird, unimportant semantic question I know, but I suddenly got curious about it.
Yes. They are talking about the amount of attenuation of a particular eq band and yes, 'numbers on the knob'. While boosting wide and cutting narrow within the range that's been boosted is common practice, normally you don't want to boost something you want to cut ;-)...
unless it's to emphasize a certain frequency before compression...
Old 17th December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshSkweez View Post
Yes. They are talking about the amount of attenuation of a particular eq band and yes, 'numbers on the knob'.
My point is that those are two different numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshSkweez View Post
While boosting wide and cutting narrow within the range that's been boosted is common practice, normally you don't want to boost something you want to cut ;-)...
Uh, so which is it, common practice, or something you don't want to do?
Old 17th December 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
FreshSkweez's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post
My point is that those are two different numbers.



Uh, so which is it, common practice, or something you don't want to do?
I get your point. I was trying to emphasize how confusing talking about these things can be. Hence the smiley face. When an engineer tells you he cut 2db at 2K it means he grabbed an eq band, zeroed in on 2K and cut it 2 db.
Old 17th December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
CompEq's Avatar
 

The numbers on the knob, or rather the number (or approximate number if it's in between) on the channelstrip where the knob pointer/line is indicating. It's easier for recalls. If it's a plug-in, I go by the number in the field.

If there are no numbers as on some gain pots, etc., I use the analog clock as a basis eg: 12:00 is straight up, etc. Decide first how you're going to notate rack mounted console strips. I usually notate them as a regular channel strip and tilt my head 90 degrees during recalls.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
skiroy / So much gear, so little time
7
soupking / So much gear, so little time
17
rodkneekeeng / So much gear, so little time
6
vaesion / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
10
Jetblack / So much gear, so little time
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump