The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
my studio gets incredibly hot... what can i do? Summing Mixers
Old 16th December 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 
thetalkinghead's Avatar
 

my studio gets incredibly hot... what can i do?

it sucks. help appreciated!
Old 16th December 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
idylldon's Avatar
 

Ah, get an HVAC guy out and discuss some air-conditioning options? There are some nice units available these days that might give you some relief.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 16th December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
thetalkinghead's Avatar
 

i will do that. by the way, there are no windows... and just one door.

in the summer, it gets super hot and seems like the AC won't reach that room. in the winter, it seems like all of the heating gets funneled into the room, and then it gets even hotter due to all the gear. wtf?
Old 16th December 2010
  #4
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
AC was the #1 and best money I ever spent on the studio. Hands down, no question asked or even considered.

Even better than the $18k+ I spent on the JH24 Don..... heh heh


BTW, side note, even in the dead of freezing cold winter, the AC cycles on long after all the gear has been shut down.
Old 16th December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
idylldon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
AC was the #1 and best money I ever spent on the studio. Hands down, no question asked or even considered.
Agreed.

Quote:
Even better than the $18k+ I spent on the JH24 Don..... heh heh
It has moved on to bigger and better things.

Quote:
BTW, side note, even in the dead of freezing cold winter, the AC cycles on long after all the gear has been shut down.
"Freezing cold winter" where you live? You're getting soft. Come on up here in the winter and I'll show you some REAL cold. It's nice, though, because all I have to do is turn on the fan in my HVAC system to cool the room down!

OP: Sounds like you have a distribution problem with your current HVAC system, so have someone come out and perhaps some extra ducting/redirecting will solve your problems.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 16th December 2010
  #6
Gear Addict
 

I have a Mitsubishi mini-split system. It's not silent, but it is very quiet. It has a moving eye ball that scans the room for hot spots and directs the cooling there. It has a remote control so you can easily change the temp without getting up.

The room is always comfortable.

It's not cheap, but you do get a significant tax rebate if you install it this year.

~Jay
Old 16th December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Lenzo's Avatar
You might also ask around to friends and family if they know someone as opposed to calling a company. My ac guy was the husband of a client and did my place on the side saving me a ton of money. He also had some great ideas about directing air flow through the building as well as supressing noise through the ducts.
L.
Old 16th December 2010
  #8
Gear Addict
 
JakeKalka's Avatar
 

Something as simple as keeping your door open will make a huge difference. But AC will definatly help as well. My father owns an air conditioning and plumbing business so I kinda lucked out haha
Old 16th December 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
wwjd's Avatar
- I THEEENK modern LCD/LED TVs run cooler than Plasma if you hang that 32 on the wall.
- reduce or remove incandescent lamps
- get a small, quiet powerful fan for about $20 to pull the heat form the back of the mix are, or push through from other side. aim at floor so it mixes the heated air with the cooler air on the ground
- use power strips to completely shutoff spare things that just don't ever get used in mixing. use only when needed. all those wall warts heat up.
- sell that old, crusty, inefficient, analog Neve console to me at scrap cost and get something that modern that runs way cooler

obviously, setting up proper AC cooling is best
Old 16th December 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 
thetalkinghead's Avatar
 

thanks for the ideas guys. i will definitely have someone come out who i can discuss with. and ah yes, the rebate!! god bless you, Obama! heh

how much was that Mitsubishi split system?
Old 16th December 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 
BradLyons's Avatar
 

PLease tell us more about the room---do you have pictures? What are the dimensions? Is this a room converted, such as a bedroom or garage?
Old 16th December 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
I'm in agreement that some of the best money I've spent was on a pair of Daikin mini splits. My unit is quieter than the silent vent panel in the wall of my iso room (confirmned with an SPL meter). With the tax rebate, it almost worked out to be two for one. They are expensive, but well worth it.
Old 16th December 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
thetalkinghead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
PLease tell us more about the room---do you have pictures? What are the dimensions? Is this a room converted, such as a bedroom or garage?
sure! here is a thread that describes the treatment and the dimensions:
treatment done.. few questions. please help!

its a random room in my house... could be a bedroom i suppose. it had a window and french doors but i closed them up.

before:








after:






super awesome diagram/artwork:


Old 16th December 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Mitsubishi Mr. Slim!!! Found out about it here on Gearslutz, got it installed 3 months ago, and it's been absolutely wonderful. I got very tired and even worried about all the heat my gear was putting out. Before you knew it, the room was soooo hot and clammy. Put that guy in and the problem was solved. Definitely one of the most important investments I have made for my studio! - paul
Old 16th December 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 
thetalkinghead's Avatar
 

man so if my AC guy doest work some sort of magic its looking like at LEAST $1000. balls.
Old 16th December 2010
  #16
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalkinghead View Post
thanks for the ideas guys. i will definitely have someone come out who i can discuss with. and ah yes, the rebate!! god bless you, Obama! heh

how much was that Mitsubishi split system?
The mini-split system is about $2000 (depending on capacity) plus installation. I paid $600 to install + $500 for electrical. I bought the unit online with free shipping. A local A/C guy wanted about $4000 to do the the whole job. So shopping around saved me almost $1000.

The rebate is 20% of the total cost.

And it was kind of Obama to take the money out of my back pocket and put back into my front pocket
Old 16th December 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalkinghead View Post
man so if my AC guy doest work some sort of magic its looking like at LEAST $1000. balls.
THey're not cheap, with the unit, the install and the permits you're looking at somewhere between 2000-3000 dollars. - paul
Old 16th December 2010
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Ernest Buckley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalkinghead View Post
i will do that. by the way, there are no windows... and just one door.

in the summer, it gets super hot and seems like the AC won't reach that room. in the winter, it seems like all of the heating gets funneled into the room, and then it gets even hotter due to all the gear. wtf?
Sell your gear, go completely ITB.
Old 16th December 2010
  #19
Harmless Wacko
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalkinghead View Post
man so if my AC guy doest work some sort of magic its looking like at LEAST $1000. balls.
Yer breaking my heart.


I assure you, it's all relative.

I spend more than double that per MONTH in HVAC POWER alone. Usually about $2200 depending on the weather/work density.

The 3 HVAC units which currently service the various rooms cost over $130k to install initially, and average about $6k per year in parts and maintenance as well.

They will have to be replaced entirely in the next 3-4 years tops as far as well can tell.

Proper Studio operations cost REAL money.

Even small ones.

HOHO-but-not-really-laughing-HO.

SM.
Old 16th December 2010
  #20
Lives for gear
 
thetalkinghead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
Yer breaking my heart.


I assure you, it's all relative.

I spend more than double that per MONTH in HVAC POWER alone. Usually about $2200 depending on the weather/work density.

The 3 HVAC units which currently service the various rooms cost over $130k to install initially, and average about $6k per year in parts and maintenance as well.

They will have to be replaced entirely in the next 3-4 years tops as far as well can tell.

Proper Studio operations cost REAL money.

Even small ones.

HOHO-but-not-really-laughing-HO.

SM.
i'm not running a major facility so its a lot of scratch for me. i hope your heart mends.
Old 16th December 2010
  #21
Harmless Wacko
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalkinghead View Post
i'm not running a major facility so its a lot of scratch for me. i hope your heart mends.
My point is it's all relative, and heat concerns in any "proper" studio, large or small, are largely both universal, and primarily unavoidable.

Cue the parade of GS home recording experts arguing the definition, much less the usage of the term "proper".

Crash.

SM.
Old 17th December 2010
  #22
Lives for gear
 
BradLyons's Avatar
 

Okay yeah the MINI SPLIT is the best idea for this. When I converted my garage a few years ago I wanted to go that direction, but it ended up costing WAY more than I realized and couldn't do it. I bought a room air conditioner with a heat vent that went up to the ceiling. It worked wonderful, but it was LOUD! After moving to Atlanta, I'm now at a new house and will be doing a similar conversion. This time I absolutely WILL be doing the mini split system. Make sure you have a GOOD compressor with a heat pump so that you can use it in cold weather. I'm told that the Mitsubishi units indeed ARE very good---and quite silent!
Old 17th December 2010
  #23
Lives for gear
I used to have my studio in my house in Santa Clarita, the DESERT in L.A. 100F days were the norm in the summer. Highs of 115. Studio on the second floor. It would get HOT.

I ran air into the room from the house AC. I also had a little portable unti that was vented through a hole to the outside for additional oomph. The problem is that the little thing was noisy as hell. So what I would do is shut off all the vents to most of the rest of the house, or cover them with those magnetic vent covers to push more air into the studio. If I covered up rooms not being used (bedrooms, kitchen, etc.) I could TRIPLE the output into the studio.

Not the most elegant solution, covering up other vents, but it is a FREE solution worth trying to see if it gets you close enough.
Old 17th December 2010
  #24
Lives for gear
 
thetalkinghead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
I used to have my studio in my house in Santa Clarita, the DESERT in L.A. 100F days were the norm in the summer. Highs of 115. Studio on the second floor. It would get HOT.

I ran air into the room from the house AC. I also had a little portable unti that was vented through a hole to the outside for additional oomph. The problem is that the little thing was noisy as hell. So what I would do is shut off all the vents to most of the rest of the house, or cover them with those magnetic vent covers to push more air into the studio. If I covered up rooms not being used (bedrooms, kitchen, etc.) I could TRIPLE the output into the studio.

Not the most elegant solution, covering up other vents, but it is a FREE solution worth trying to see if it gets you close enough.
that is a great idea! cant believe i didnt think of it. this would probably work better in the summer where i could have the AC on cover up vents in several other rooms to force air into the studio. it will be more difficult now because all i can do is cover the vents in the studio to prevent the heating from coming in. either way, thanks for the input!
Old 17th December 2010
  #25
Gear Addict
 
Bruno B's Avatar
 

If you're looking for super-efficiency and even the smallest of improvements, I suggest getting the mac out of the room (if possible of course).

For about $100 you can get some USB, DVI, etc extender cables and eliminate the biggest heat/noise source from the room. That goes for any ext hard drives as well.

I'm sure it'd make your ac system work better also in the future.

Just drill a small hole in the wall, get some PVC tubing in there with some caulk and you're good.

It's a small, but very noticeable improvement when you have poor air circulation or no ac.

-Bruno
Old 18th December 2010
  #26
Lives for gear
 
BradLyons's Avatar
 

Bruno,

Thanks for the suggestion---however the accumulation of EVERYTHING is what creates the heat...... studio monitors, outboard gear, video monitors, interfaces, etc. The Mac is the least of issues.
Old 18th December 2010
  #27
Lives for gear
 
cinealta's Avatar
 

Just get one of those $400 Sharp portable units, and vent it into the drywall. You should be fine as long as the attic is vented.
Old 20th December 2010
  #28
Lives for gear
 
thetalkinghead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
Just get one of those $400 Sharp portable units, and vent it into the drywall. You should be fine as long as the attic is vented.
Looks like I will be doing a combo of this and vent magnets. I will let you guys know how it turns out!
Old 20th December 2010
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Zep Dude's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
Bruno,

Thanks for the suggestion---however the accumulation of EVERYTHING is what creates the heat...... studio monitors, outboard gear, video monitors, interfaces, etc. The Mac is the least of issues.

Actually the Mac is a space heater and contributes a good deal to room temp. Those fans blow constant hot air, especially when running audio all day and heating up those processors and tdm cards.

My little "facility" has three zones that all have their own temperatures. The control room wants to be a furnace, the live room is neutral, and the upstairs lounge/apartment with it's huge skylight can either be freezing or boiling.

AC everywhere in the summer, but in the winter the green in me was aghast at cooling the control room while heating the upstairs lounge, so I ran vents between the rooms to help them equalize. I ran 6 flexible 4" ducts when we were doing some renovations. It helps but not completely. There's still quite a discrepancy in temp between the rooms. I'm going to up the cfm using some inexpensive silent computer fans (100cfm on each duct) to see if that improves.

The point of all this is to let you know that if you're going to exchange air between rooms, you have to move a lot of air to make a dent in temp. Don't underestimate this if you attempt it.
Old 20th December 2010
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Zep Dude's Avatar
 

One other thing. You mentioned the air getting "clamey".

Keep in mind that the split units do not pump in any fresh air, they just recirculate. When I moved into our current place I installed and air refresher unit. It pulls fresh air from outside and circulates it to each room via 4" flexible ducts. 4" duct (intake and outake) is enough for each room since you just want a small percentage of fresh air. This can be done cheaply, or DIY because you're not installing metal duct or hiring expensive AC guys and Electricians.

It made a huge difference in the comfort of the rooms. I don't know how the previous tenants survived without this.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
sillypants / Studio building / acoustics
9
soupking / So much gear, so little time
10
C Heat / The Good News Channel
0
ethan_c / High end
9

Forum Jump
Forum Jump