The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam fw-1082 to MOTU traveler Control Surfaces
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

Tascam fw-1082 to MOTU traveler

so i'm finally giving up on the fw-1082. I've had about the unit's worth in headaches over the last 5 years maintaining it. rebuilt the power supply to fix a constant whine in the main outs, all sort of problems with the scratchy pots on the input section, and not to mention the incredibly crappy and unstable pres. god the pres on this thing....they have this tendency to have the gain go unstable when you put anything with a modicum of bass energy through them, even at low input gains, resulting in a sort of tinny ring modulation noise thats barely audible but colors your whole mix with piss. but what can you expect of a tascam unit...
where this thing has been worth it's salt is as a control surface. when i bought it 5 years ago when i was just starting out recording i immediately noticed a difference in my music which i think is attributable to the fact that the control surface functions let me step outside of the computer and focus more on the sonic characteristics of the mix. anything that helps me look at the screen less is, in my view, a good thing. considering it's about half the price of the mackie mcu and provides most of the same functions (albiet with inferior build quality) it may be worth buying as a cheap dedicated control surface IF (!!!) you're working in logic or cubase (the only daws that support the EQ and aux controls on this unit). i would avoid using the audio features on it though...
that being said, the pres have started acting up once again and are really unstable this time. i found a cheap MOTU traveler (i'd prefer something like an ensemble or an aurora-8 but i'm a man of limited means) and pulled the trigger on it. my current plan is to daisy chain the traveler through the tascam, using the traveler for AD/DA and the tascam for midi and control. Has anyone had success daisy chaining firewire interfaces in this manner? I know it's typically do-able with firewire harddrives and i figure if audio is running on one and midi on the other it shouldn't be too much bandwidth. once i get a chance to sink my teeth in i'll report back on my findings as well as review the tascam's performance under external clocking from the traveler.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search