The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone mix-engineer of Boyz II Men? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

Anyone mix-engineer of Boyz II Men?

Is there someone out there who've been a mix-engineer on a Boyz II Men song/album?

And I mean in specific the song: Yesterday acapella (studio version).

I would like to know how many tracks there are for one harmony part on this version? Better said: How many tracks per voice could it be? 2,4 or 8 or more layered on each other.

Someone with expierence who can something about this?

Since it is not aloud to post direct link etc.
I mean the song: Boyz II men - Yesterday (acapella studio version)

Thank U very much!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I didn't work on that speciafic song, but I worked with them on a remix of "I'll Make Love to You". They sang an entirely new vocal from start to finish. They were 100% classy and professional; REALLY nice guys!
I think we did 4 stacks of each note, and they were TIGHT. We were in Larrabee Studio B, while another producer team was in A doing another version, so the Boyz sang the song twice in one day and nailed it.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Not sure about that track, But Tony Shepperd has mixed those guys.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

You know I was actually just thinking about their II album the other week. It was my very first CD that I got as gift with my first CD player when I was about 12 years old!
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

Wow, thanx guys for the details so far!

If it would be 4 stacks then it's less than I thought it would be.
I thought it would be 6 or 8.
If there is more info about this specific song, I would like to know.
Anyone else who've worked with the guys?
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

I was under the (quite possibly mistaken) impression that Mick Guzauski did a lot of those Boys II Men mixes. I don't own an album, so can't check the credits. allmusic.com might help you ...
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Here is what I found.

hope it helps you. Love these guys. Saw them live once. So Tight.

Yesterday 3:07
Mixed By [Mix Engineer] - Claudio Cueni
Producer, Arranged By - Boyz II Men
Recorded By - Jim "Jiff" Hinger
Written-By - Paul McCartney & John Lennon*
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hricco View Post
Here is what I found.

hope it helps you. Love these guys. Saw them live once. So Tight.

Yesterday 3:07
Mixed By [Mix Engineer] - Claudio Cueni
Claudio is a fantastic engineer!
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAXS View Post
Is there someone out there who've been a mix-engineer on a Boyz II Men song/album?

And I mean in specific the song: Yesterday acapella (studio version).

I would like to know how many tracks there are for one harmony part on this version? Better said: How many tracks per voice could it be? 2,4 or 8 or more layered on each other.

Someone with expierence who can something about this?

Since it is not aloud to post direct link etc.
I mean the song: Boyz II men - Yesterday (acapella studio version)

Thank U very much!
yep, I'm guilty of mixing that song, lol. Was a long time ago, but if memory serves me right, it was about 32 tracks spread over two 24 track analog tapes. I believe it was 6 or 8 tracks for each harmony, exept the bass, which was 2 or 3.
Mixed at the amazing Larrabee (west) studio A on a SSL G console, NS10's, Larrabee's Augsburgers and one Auratone (mono). Main EQ on the vocals was SSL EQ, outboard Focusrite (the blue modulars, forgot the model #) and the incredible Motown EQ's.I think I inserted some Pultecs on Mike's bass vocals. Probably had the Manley VariMu across the stereo bus. FX where a Lexicon 480L and/or AMS RMX , Eventide H3000 on a +/- 11c pitch setting (a little bit to much of that, would love to turn the H3k down a little bit now, lol) and a Ursa Major Space Station. Delays where probably AMS DMX. Printed it back to a 1/2" Ampex and to DAT. The reason why that song sounds so great has really nothing to do with the mix, its the unbelievable vocal performance and arrangement from B2M. Remember, no Auto Tune back then.
On a side note, I was really green back then, in my very early 20's, only been mixing for a few years, and probably had no business mixing on that album. I didn't really know who Boys II Men where, lol. The way I got the gig was I did the A&R women, I think it was Vida Sparks, a favor on another project, prob half a day worth of work, no big deal. 6 months later she calls me and asks me if I could mix one song for her. The song was thank you. Ended up mixing 6 songs on the album and a bunch of remixes. The mixing gods Jon Gass and (I believe) Steve Hodges mixed the rest of the album and most of the singles. Thanks to the incredible success of that album I ended up having a pretty decent career in this crazy ass buiz.
hope this helps

Claudio
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone mix-engineer of Boyz II Men?-b2m.jpg  

Last edited by cl-audio; 17th December 2010 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: spelling, oops
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl-audio View Post
yep, I'm guilty of mixing that song, lol. Was a long time ago, but if memory serves me right, it was about 32 tracks spread over two 24 track analog tapes. I believe it was 6 or 8 tracks for each harmony, exept the bass, which was 2 or 3.
Mixed at the amazing Larrabee (west) studio A on a SSL G console, NS10's, Larrabee's Augsburgers and one Auratone (mono). Main EQ on the vocals was SSL EQ, outboard Focusrite (the blue modulars, forgot the model #) and the incredible Motown EQ's.I think I inserted some Pultecs on Mike's bass vocals. Probably had the Manley VariMu across the stereo bus. FX where a Lexicon 480L and/or AMS RMX , Eventide H3000 on a +/- 11c pitch setting (a little bit to much of that, would love to turn the H3k down a little bit now, lol) and a Ursa Major Space Station. Delays where probably AMS DMX. Printed it back to a 1/2" Ampex and to DAT. The reason why that song sounds so great has really nothing to do with the mix, its the unbelievable vocal performance and arrangement from B2M. Remember, no Auto Tune back then.
On a side note, I was really green back then, in my very early 20's, only been mixing for a few years, and probably had no business mixing on that album. I didn't really know who Boys II Men where, lol. The way I got the gig was I did the A&R women, I think it was Vida Sparks, a favor on another project, prob half a day worth of work, no big deal. 6 months later she calls me and asks me if I could mix one song for her. The song was thank you. Ended up mixing 6 songs on the album and a bunch of remixes. The mixing gods Jon Gass and (I believe) Steve Hodges mixed the rest of the album and most of the singles. Thanks to the incredible success of that album I ended up having a pretty decent career in this crazy ass buiz.
hope this helps

Claudio
wow thanks! that was amazing recall of memory on your part
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools View Post
I didn't work on that speciafic song, but I worked with them on a remix of "I'll Make Love to You". They sang an entirely new vocal from start to finish. They were 100% classy and professional; REALLY nice guys!
I think we did 4 stacks of each note, and they were TIGHT. We were in Larrabee Studio B, while another producer team was in A doing another version, so the Boyz sang the song twice in one day and nailed it.
Good to see you here, Claudio!

You were over in Larrabee A on this session with Tim & Bob, and I was in B with Steve "Silk" Hurley, while the Boyz went back and forth singing the new vocals... Good times!
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks for the post Claudio!
Old 18th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl-audio View Post
On a side note, I was really green back then, in my very early 20's, only been mixing for a few years, and probably had no business mixing on that album. I didn't really know who Boys II Men where, lol. The way I got the gig was I did the A&R women....
Great post! The way I read that last line had me laughing, before you completed the sentence!
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

heh
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
You know I was actually just thinking about their II album the other week. It was my very first CD that I got as gift with my first CD player when I was about 12 years old!
WOW! Ok I feel old as crap now...
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Wow, didn't 've seen the latest update!

Claudio; Thank U so much for puttings some things out en let us know a couple of things!!

And a hugh thanx to the others as well!
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

a couple of specific things

Since It seems that there are more interested people and U would be a very useful learning curve, I would like to ask a couple of specific things more to U CLaudio, if possible.

1. With which effects PER GROUP (asuming that U used one group per harmony) did U've used? the standard EQ,reverb,delay, some shifters or ....

2. Which overall compresser did U've used (as for as U know) and do U know a bit about the settings?

3. Did U used any thickers or stereo spreaders/widers on the master fader?
Or other effects?

4. I'm I right that there where 4-5 harmony part as a standard (some members do muliple parts)?

5. I'm a right about the panning as follow:

- Bass Mike; center/middle.
- 2 highest parts: left.
- (All) Middle part(s) at; right.

Thank U very much for you're comments, mean very much to me.
Best whishes to U all!
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAXS View Post
Since It seems that there are more interested people and U would be a very useful learning curve, I would like to ask a couple of specific things more to U CLaudio, if possible.

1. With which effects PER GROUP (assuming that U used one group per harmony) did U've used? the standard EQ,reverb,delay, some shifters or ....

2. Which overall compressor did U've used (as for as U know) and do U know a bit about the settings?

3. Did U used any thickers or stereo spreaders/widers on the master fader?
Or other effects?

4. I'm I right that there where 4-5 harmony part as a standard (some members do muliple parts)?

5. I'm a right about the panning as follow:

- Bass Mike; center/middle.
- 2 highest parts: left.
- (All) Middle part(s) at; right.

Thank U very much for you're comments, mean very much to me.
Best whishes to U all!
Man, I wish I could answer all the questions, but that session was 15 years ago with about 3000 mixes between now and then, lol. But here is what I remember:

1) I was and still am a big fan of the AMS RMX reverb, so I'm pretty sure that was my main reverb. Ambience setting with somewhere between 3 and 4 sec decay, about 80ms pre delay, highs -4 or -5. I'm sure I used the Ursa Major Space Station as well, it was and still is one of my fav reverbs, but sorry, no idea about the settings.
There was also a Lexicon 224XL, 480L, a Yamaha REV 1, bunch of PCM 70's and a second RMX in that room, and its possible a used some/any of those as well.
Delays could have been AMS DMX, Lexicon 42 and/or TC 2290 (Larrabee had at least 2 of each in their rooms).

2) Overall compression I'm 99% sure was a Manley VariMu, but could have been just the Quad comp of the SSL. Whatever it was, there was probably less then 2db of gain reduction going on.

3) Not on the master fader, but I was (unfortunately) pretty heavy handed with a Eventide H3000, micropitchshift algo +10/-11 cents pitch, 17/27ms delay. I have that program stored on pretty much any H3000 in most studios here in LA, just look for the "Claudio's" preset, lol.
I know I also had a B.A.S.E. unit in the room, which is some kind of spreader/stereo enhancement thing or whatever, but can't remember if I ended up using that or not.

4/5) sorry, can't recall

I do remember that Mike whooped my ass in playing pool, lost a bunch of $ to him, lol.

hope this helps

Claudio
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools View Post
Good to see you here, Claudio!

You were over in Larrabee A on this session with Tim & Bob, and I was in B with Steve "Silk" Hurley, while the Boyz went back and forth singing the new vocals... Good times!
Totally remember that. good times!!

peace
Claudio
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Good to have people like Claudio around here!

I love the mix for:

I can't make you love me.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Claudio, You're the best!
Thank U very much so far!
Keep up the good work.
Too all the others thanx for your input too.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

I remember working on a boys2men remix in the Netherlands, and it was by far the best recorded vocal performance on tape I got my hands on.

Everything was as close to pitch perfect as it could be, perfect doubles on all takes .. indeed no autotune/melodyne timing corrections back then.

The only editing was a synced up atari to smpte on tape and an akai sampler to fly some stems around for the remixing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search