The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should I sell my 003 and buy a Mbox 3 ??? Audio Interfaces
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

Should I sell my 003 and buy a Mbox 3 ???

Some months ago I bought an 003R, the 4 preamps version. I have a person that wants to buy my 003R (good price) and Im thinking about. I dont need the adat connection and with two preamps Im Ok. If I sell the 003 and buy an Mbox 3 I will save money for other gear and I will get something more updated and portable. I need to know your opinion about and the answer of this question:

- With my 003 I can go to 64 buffer, with a Usb interface like Mbox 3 what is the minimum buffer I can get?

- With the 003 I can put Rtas in a track and listen in real time the signal and the effect of the rtas without latency, this is very useful for me, is possible to get the same real-time-listen with the effects with the Mbox 3, like use guitar impulses with reverb impulses with other rtas without latency?

I bought the 003 because it was the best option to go with PT, a Mbox 2 Pro was all that I needed but I heared a lot that the converters, preamps and overall the 003 was better, so I bought the 003. But then, some months later, Avid comes with the Mbox 3 with new converters, new preamps, new technology (they say) and a new updated product. So Im confused because I dont have a studio or something, Im just recording in home for now and I need quality more than quantity.

The point that I need to know is what interface is better in terms of quality: converters, pre amps, technology. Please feel free to contribute here! Thank you

Best regards,

J.P.
Old 5th February 2011
Gear Head

bump
Old 5th February 2011
Lives for gear

I don't own the Pro Tools Mbox, nor the Pro version, but from what I've read and the info directly from Avid, the new Mbox has much better converters and preamps than the 003. I am even contemplating getting one to replace my Apogee Duet, but my instincts are telling me not to trust Avid, from what I've heard abut customer support, driver support, etc. I could certainly use the extra i/o at this point, and would rally like some balanced outputs, but I'm unsure of whether I'll pull the trigger at this point. If you do decide to go with one of the new Mbox units, let us know how it works out for you. I may take a leap of faith in the near future, but will get some work done with the Duet for the time being.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search