The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Microphone for Live Vocals Dynamic Microphones
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

Microphone for Live Vocals

I'm looking for your opinions on a good vocal microphone for live performance. The style of vocals is singing/medium range screaming. What might some other microphones other than the usual SM58, Beta 58, etc be?

I was recommended by a co-worker the PL80C from EV. He informed me that Staind recently went on tour with the PL80C and loved it. The reason that is important is that my voice is of very similar characteristic to Aaron Lewis's.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

I think the Beta57 beats any live mic I've ever heard. It also doesn't feedback as much as 58's etc...
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

Well there is also the wireless 58 option, which is quite popular, but im "shure" you already know about that one.

But for like a super star singer there are those wireless handheld condensers. now I know that Sennheiser makes one, the e965, but im not sure if its the same one Mariah Carey uses etc... She obviously puts sparkles all over her ****. But whatever she uses it seems like they use something similar on American Idol and all that ****... But I wouldn't recommend those for screaming.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

there are lots of other options of course, but live, a 58 will get you where you need to go every time. don't sweat it too much!
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro View Post
I think the Beta57 beats any live mic I've ever heard. It also doesn't feedback as much as 58's etc...

thumbsup+1
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyD View Post
Well there is also the wireless 58 option, which is quite popular, but im "shure" you already know about that one.

But for like a super star singer there are those wireless handheld condensers. now I know that Sennheiser makes one, the e965, but im not sure if its the same one Mariah Carey uses etc... She obviously puts sparkles all over her ****. But whatever she uses it seems like they use something similar on American Idol and all that ****... But I wouldn't recommend those for screaming.
Lol yea I've played with some of the e965's. I don't think all of that bling is for me but funny story; I was in Vegas for the BEA convention a couple of years ago when a rep from Neutrik gave me a couple of studded xlr connectors for free hahahahaha. Oh what will they do next.

Hmmmm, well I was hoping for some opinions on mics other than the 58. Has anyone else used the PL80C or have an opinion on it? I have another co-worker who highly recommends some of the Audix dynamic microphones. Any suggestions or opinions there on say an OM7 or OM2?
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

hahahaha thats hilarious.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

+1 for the beta 57.

I've always found the curved dome of the 58 can make my plosives sound kinda spitty and wierd... probably just bad technique, but the 57 is always easier.

putting a windshield on it can help loads too.

-Jamie
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

In shure department I prefer sm58 over beta58 (I'm talking about rock music), when I work on live show; it simple give me less problem with monitors and sound more "flat" (compare to beta, of course), works with most vocals (good, old sm58, ehh and is cheap. But when I play with band (a grunge-rock music) I like to use my sennheiser e935, have more modern, open sound. But it all depends on singer.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I've always been happy with 58's.... then again not many people/places use anything but.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

While I don't have personal experience with EV's PL80 I did use an EV 767 for about 4 years and it never let me down. Eventually it was stolen at a gig

The 767 has a much warmer response IMO than the 58, in fact I simply dislike the 58 all together for what I feel is a hyped midrange that is non-flattering (for my voice).

The 767 has a nice full bottom that remains tight, a focused midrange and natural sounding hi's. My voice (especially then) was pretty freakin' loud and the 767 handled it really well. It also did well in the studio on hand percusion and effects percussion (stuff like tongue drum's and tambourine).

I think Zakk Wylde at one point was using the 967 live.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
While I don't have personal experience with EV's PL80 I did use an EV 767 for about 4 years and it never let me down. Eventually it was stolen at a gig

The 767 has a much warmer response IMO than the 58, in fact I simply dislike the 58 all together for what I feel is a hyped midrange that is non-flattering (for my voice).
Love the 767 and the 967. Those are all we use live. They beat the SM58 (never used the Beta) hands down for us.

I have 4 or 5 PL80's that I used for a while. They're just OK. I got them to replace 58's, but ended up going back to the 58's until we got the 767 and 967's.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

Neumann KMS-105
Sennheiser E965
Sennheiser 441
Audio Technica AE-5400
Beyerdynamic M88
Telefunken M80
Shure Beta 57 or 58

Take a pick based on your budget which you didn't mention. heh
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

i prefer my Senheiser e815 over a SM58. It may not be so solid, but it sounds better in the situations where i use it (mainly mc'ing next to a dj on a soundsystem (dub/reggae/dancehall/dubstep/...) and it never let me down the last 5 years... My SM58 of before lasted 3 years in the same situation.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

EV Raven
RE-15, if you can get them (I think the RE-16 is pretty much the same thing with a pop filter)
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl777 View Post
Neumann KMS-105
Sennheiser E965
Sennheiser 441
Audio Technica AE-5400
Beyerdynamic M88
Telefunken M80
Shure Beta 57 or 58

Take a pick based on your budget which you didn't mention. heh
My budget is around $250-$300. I can get equipment extremely cheap at work so I am hoping to pick some up soon.

I do like the e965 but I haven't tried it out on my voice so I'll have to check it out. M88TG!! Why didn't I think of that! Big fan of Beyerdynamic and with my discount that would fit in my price range.

Oh 58's....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search