The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Listening Session web page gone? Condenser Microphones
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Listening Session web page gone?

Listeningsessions.com and studioreviews.com are no longer around. What happened Dan? These were great web sites, please bring them back.

Anyone know of other web sites that have such a great array of samples of different mic pre's, mic's, etc?
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

Music Gear Shootout Website | Gear Audition

Not alot of equipment, some are a bit outdated but still some interesting comparaisons
Old 16th December 2010
Jai guru deva om

If you check out my "Clipalator" gear test page, right now there are 50 pieces of hardware in compressors and equalizers (ranging from $3000 mono units, to channel 3 in a Mackie Onyx mixer EQ) and about 24 mics directly compared. I have not quite gotten to preamp testing yet, we plan these things for a long time before committing to it because it should be repeatable and make sense even 5 years from now as new gear is added.

What we do differently for outboard gear is we provide VIDEO in most cases (I didn't make a video on de-essers for example...), to bring context to what was processed. In other words, if we are EQ'ing a female vocal with a RETRO unit..and then a Rupert Neve...neither of them share any similar tone or settings so we are guided by each box in a different way as anybody would be. Once the audio files are made though, I make a 5 to 10 minute long video that is no hype, it's simply drum / vocal clips run through each box (in most cases) and my hand turning each knob for you to gain CONTEXT.

How hard could I have gutted that kick drum? How heavy handed could I have been with that drum buss compressor?

You get to see it in action.

If you cannot pipe it into monitors or a decent listening environment, I strongly suggest a good pair of headphones.

Clip-A-Lator: Audio and Video | Studio Gear Shootouts @ ZenProAudio.com

On the mic tests, we put the session # at the end of each file (right now we've done 2 sessions so you will see a 1 or 2 at the end) and we are always using an original AKG C414 BULS as our control mic. I have some more explaining to do which I will type out and provide in pictures on that Clipalator page, on how we test mics too. The short story is it is the most repeatable scenario we could imagine, from the choice of only ONE person to perform each time on all instruments (less variance, regardless of performance) as well as sighting in mic placement with laser pointers, using Arbiter "single lug" drums and a Tama Tension Watch to get the kit as close as possible each time, using a Marshall MG100 series head for the electric guitar tracks (the MG100 is solid state and has digital control / recall over its analog settings!) and more.

I hope this makes sense...I gotta go work on adding this info to my page!

War
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Listening Sessions http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/index.htm seems to be back as well as Studio Reviews Magazine
heh
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

Gone again. "thelisteningsessions.com is suspended"
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search