The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Computer
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Computer

Hello

I'm planning to buy a new computer. Do you guys recommend Mac? If you recommend mac. What mac should I choose. How fast should it be?
Do I need the fastest powermac?

Thanks
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

What do you plan on using it for?
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

depends on what you're using it for firstly.

secondly, whats your budget? a well built i7 PC will perform just as well as a similiar spec mac and save you a few quid.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Using it for recording. In pro tools 9. Do you think an "I mac" should be enought?
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

god no! an imac will have you cursing after adding a few tracks and you'll end up throwing it out the window.

be prepared to spend a lot of money for a stable protools rig.

..or build it yourself.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

the i5 iMac (27") would actually be an ideal machine for recording. A lot of screen real estate and a lot of horsepower.

If you're using PT though, you'd get more bang for the buck with a home-built PC, if you're good at that sort of thing.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
depends on what you're using it for firstly.

secondly, whats your budget? a well built i7 PC will perform just as well as a similiar spec mac and save you a few quid.
this

My i7 quad core runs protools perfectly. The same spec'd mac would have costed me almost twice the price! You could get the same computer plus a new preamp or couple of mics.

I also really like working in windows 7. The ability to quickly snap the windows to the sides and view minimized windows simply by rolling over is a feature I truly admire. I have a mac at work and I find it really clumsy to work on in comparison.

Just don't go out and buy a premade pc. Look at different builds that were built specifically for what you want to use it for. It takes some research but will save you a pile of cash.

Plus they are cheaper to upgrade and service.

To me it's a no brainer, tho macs are great machines, (their laptops are awesome!), but as for a tower, go pc. imo.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

There is an entire forum on the digidesign (avid) website that talks about and lists various PC builds that were made specifically for protools, I did a lot of research there, got the list of parts, gave it to the computer store guy, he then got the parts (and upgraded some parts, or swapped some out for the equivalent or newer model), built it and I have never been happier.

Also, PC's will let you save even more money by not having to include certain parts. For example you don't need a top of the line video card to run protools, but will likely be included with the mac.

The mac's run on the same processors as PC's now a day. So if you have good components, they are just as reliable.

But it will all come down to preference, if you like the mac operating system then go mac, if you like the PC operating system (windows 7 is actually a lot like mac) then go PC.

Make sure either way, to always do a lot of research before you buy, I bought the wrong computer the first time around (which was a mac) and it was a nightmare running protools, it crashed every single day.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search