The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
An interesting solution?
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

An interesting solution?

Okay, here is my dilemma...

I have tested out a lot of live digital desks recently, and while they are all capable of "doing the job" each one seems to have a different downfall, in my opinion. Analogue is out of the question in the love environment I work in.

So, I have happened upon an idea that I'd like to run past you, and also seek some advice on something.

I am thinking about using the following equipment live:

IMac top spec exclusive for the purpose. New
Protools hd3 2nd hand
Digi 192 x 2 2nd hand
Control surface such as the control 24. 2nd hand

I know this is a lot of gear to be taking around, but that doesn't concern me. I should be able to get all of this for around £9k. If only the sc48 was readily available second hand! But it isn't, so this gives me the ability to use tdm plug ins, the ability to record shows and offer that service, ability to use external effects if needed, and gives me AD converters and pre's that are better than, say, an M7CL at the same price.

The latency wouldn't be an issue on the hd system. The processors in the system would be just as stable as the processors in a digital desk. The computer is new, and can be set up for this task, and running a max of 24 channels should breeze it?

The only downsides are that it's a lot of gear, and the work flow of the c24 ain't great, but for the positives I've mentioned above, are worth living with...

Have I missed anything? There's a few threads about LE on this topic but not on hd, hence the new one. Please, I don't want to get into a digital v analogue debate, or how it is morally unacceptable to have studio gear used for live etc! Ha!

Thanks in advance...
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

Forgot to say, I'll be using no more than 24 channels, and be using aux busses for effects, so at most, 20-25 plugins, that will be TDM using the hd processors, rather than rtas, meaning the iMac will be as stable as possible...
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

What would this offer that an Avid Venue console would not?
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

The Imac doesn't have a PCI slot.....
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

It offers nothing that an avid venue doesn't, but does cost a third of the price!

Scrub the IMac then!! Of course I would have checked before purchase ha!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search