The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic/Preamp recommendation? Want to sing along to a piano. Greyson Chance Like! Audio Interfaces
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

Mic/Preamp recommendation? Want to sing along to a piano. Greyson Chance Like!

Hey, school just ended and I want to continue a new hobby I picked up this summer. But I don't know which microphone to get and pre-amp.

I picked up piano this summer after playing it for the first time at someone's house last christmas. Already I've covered a few songs and got quite a number of views on youtube. So I feel I can do more.

I bought my first midi keyboard this summer (piano too expensive) and plan on recording the piano through my PC.

Can you guys recommend me a microphone to get so that I can try singing along with my own piano arrangements? If possible (IF), is there a mic that tends to 'make people sound better'? I know some mics make people sound worse, and singing in the shower always sounds better, so I was wondering if there's a mic that can kind of 'replicate this' :P

School ended and I just found out about a kid named Greyson Chance on youtube. I got extremely motivated. I know I could record something like that if I took the time to do it.

Anyways, thanks a bunch! I plan on ordering it this weekend to get here before christmas.

Oh yeah, my budget: Anything reasonable as long as its a good deal and good product. Dont mind spending around 200/300 for a good mic andr preamp.

For FYI, My Hardware:
Intel i7 Professor
1 Axiom 66 Pro Midi Keyboard
Native Instruments Piano VST Package
EWQL Platinum Plus's Play Edition VST Orchestra Package
Line 6 Toneport UX2 Instrument input control panel.
Dynamic Shure Mic ($20 at bestbuy): PG58
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search