The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amek MozartRN vs Amek AngelaII Consoles
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

Amek MozartRN vs Amek AngelaII

I'm planning to buy a big desk (about 40 ch minimum) and I found two desks covered by my budget (8000 to 12000€)...
They are pretty different animals but both are Neve designed.
I just wonder about sound/headroom and most of all about maintenance... I've read somewhere that the MozartRN are quite difficult to repair... What about the AngelaII ?
I want this desk to be used as a tracking desk (even if I already have some good pres) and as a big big summing box with eqs (especially for highs).
Any comment is welcome !
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I am not sure "Neve designed" is accurate - but I owned an original Amek Angela (Blue) and it was a fantastic sounding desk and quite easy to maintain. The relays that are used in the channel mute path may be a bit hard to source at this point, but there is a place in England that I believe bought all the legacy Amek parts stock and still services them too. I if you can't find the relays you can use a different switch.

As for the Angela, my understanding is it was before Neve had a formal relationship with Amek, but there are two rumours:

1 - Neve liked the way the Angela sounded/was designed so he decided to develop a relationship with them which led to the 9098 line
2 - Neve actually helped design the (fantastic sounding) hybrid mic pre in the Angela

I really don't know if there is a kernal of truth to either, I highly doubt the latter, and I never cared to investigate. The desk simply sounded great and ran without major incident for years.

The EQ in the Angela was also quite lovely. The Angela II (brown) had some "improvements" over the Angela (blue) which made it less desirable to some but it is probably about the same from a maintenance standpoint. I think some had problems with the ones with the onboard bays and grounding, but that never occurred with mine. Pretty solid.

Don't know about the Mozart. Good luck.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

There's an Angela in the main room where I work. I'm not crazy about the EQ (not bad, not great) but the preamps are cooler than I expected. Flexible board, doesn't get in your way, nice layout. It's had a couple issues here and there but always seems to be back up running pretty quickly, and it's been there for a good long while. I think of it as a utilitarian board; doesn't have the tonal wow of the super high priced stuff but a totally useful studio centerpiece. The size of the board is what knocked one out of contention for install in the smaller room I work out of.
edit: appears to be previous generation Angela
Old 17th December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks for your quick answers !
I'm talking about the Angela II (not one of the 2 first versions ):
AMEK Angela II Product Profile

Any comments about the MOZART RN maintenance ?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search