The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Finally getting Some Api eqs..advice 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Finally getting Some Api eqs..advice

Im going to get 2 more slots filled in my lunchbox with eqs and just wondering thoughts from some heads that have used them
Ones i have been looking at
1 Api 560
2 jdk eq(also the stereo eq they have)
3 Fivefish eqs
4 buzz audio

Theres loads more of course but just wondering what would be a nice pair to get..money is tight so i guess suggestions with that in mind would be cool
Old 2nd January 2011
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
Im going to get 2 more slots filled in my lunchbox with eqs and just wondering thoughts from some heads that have used them
Ones i have been looking at
1 Api 560
2 jdk eq(also the stereo eq they have)
3 Fivefish eqs
4 buzz audio

Theres loads more of course but just wondering what would be a nice pair to get..money is tight so i guess suggestions with that in mind would be cool
let me throw a monkey wrench in the mix.
i love the API 550A API PUNCHY so.
i also love the JDK V14's not much color clean and can handle some good all around work demands.
in addition i would be looking at;
A-Designs EM-PEQ's for some smoking MOJO MAMA color: )~
Electrodynes 511's, sweet tones, great for tracking, i love these beauties!
Great River Harrisons 32EQ's are very very versatile and clean with just the rite amount of moxy!
LaChapell 503, broad but not much for colored, lots of boot and cut, another great tracking Eq.

these are the EQ's i would be looking at: )~

P.S. Speck also make a great clean EQ that is very sweet for surgical work!
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I am not a fan of the 560. I've never been able to dial in a good sound as quickly as with the 550A or B. Most people agree that the 550A is a better sounding unit though I've always been more inclined by the 550B as I'm generally a fan of 4-bands.

In either case, the 560 doesn't do it for me as it's not so easy to find that key frequency like you do with the 550s - IE turning the big knob to +6 then turning the little one til you find a nice one or a nasty one, and then fine tuning.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Another vote for the 550As. I used them on electric and acoustic guitar with a Chandler TG2 and an Avedis MA5 - heavenly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search