The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
stereo matched pair - options Condenser Microphones
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

stereo matched pair - options

I'm buying my first set of stereo matched mics, recently got my first job as an engineer in a studio (been a live ***** and assistant for a while) and want to get a set of something I can use for mainly overheads and vocals, so got to be LDC.

So far I like the look of the akg c214 matched for around £550, BUT I've also found a set of SE4400a's matched for £500, half what they normally go for (ex showroom with 2 year warranty).

I like the sound of the 4400s and wold normally go straight for them (IMO a set of £1000 mics going for £500 is a fair deal). I've been told theyre very neutral, and theyre multi pattern which is useful

in fact have i answered my question right there? i want a workhorse and the 214s are cardioid only....

opinions welcome. but please don't start going on about 'get a good room etc'. I understand this, I want to know about microphones. personal experience, ergonomics, robustness etc.

alternatives in same budget also welcome. I'd prefer something with a good hi mid body but with a really clear high end, nothing that'll take your head of with highs though i like more balls than sheen.

i'm just a whippersnapper and this is my first major microphone expenditure so please, if you have a valid and informed opinion I'd love to hear it.
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

stereo matched pair - options

Anybody?
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandRED View Post
Anybody?
You answered you own question. heh
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

I've always thought the Audio Technica 40 series to be excellent LDC's. A pair of 4033's would be very nice and versatile in my opinion.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search