The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Whats the first thing you do when you get a new mic? Dynamic Microphones
Old 16th December 2010
Whats the first thing you do when you get a new mic?

Say you buy a nice mic... Open the box... Put it on a stand... Plug it into a pre, etc. etc...

What's the first thing you do to hear the mic?
Right out of the box... What do you do?

Maybe an obvious question, I just want to hear other thoughts.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroque View Post
Say you buy a nice mic... Open the box... Put it on a stand... Plug it into a pre, etc. etc...

I record my voice singing one of my own tunes. My voice... an instrument I know very well and have heard for years through many mics and pres. Then I`ll usually record myself reading something.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Oh I hit it with a hammer to see how good the case resonates. If it still works after than then its gotta be a good mic and I don't concern myself after that.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

First I usually smell it for some reason heh Then I'll try it on some acoustic or electric guitar. - paul
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

jesus ernest buckley...ur hot!
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Stress test:
- acoustic guitar
- egg shaker or tambourine
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

I usually play my acoustic guitar first. Then lay down a vocal. After that an egg shaker perhaps.

Those three things definitely give me a good idea of the microphones character.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

I scream into it and spit as much as possible to see how thick the gold plating is. If it survives the laundry after that then it's a good one.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

For some reason I always sing Dollar Bill Blues by Townes Van Zandt. At this point I can tell a lot about a mic's qualities this way. Been doing it for years. Never really gave it much thought 'till now. Next I almost always give it a spin on acoustic guitar. After that I'll try it out on other things as I get the chance.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

See how it sounds with no comp or eq.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

No but seriously I rent the mic or use it at another studio before I would even CONSIDER buying one. My motto. So I already know what it sounds good on and if I need it.

So I pretty much know what I am using it on before I shell out ducketts.

John
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Whats the first thing you do when you get a new mic?

I let my sm7b sit around for 3 months until we got to the screaming vocals....then I finally got to hear what all the fuss was about.
Old 16th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagefright13 View Post
No but seriously I rent the mic or use it at another studio before I would even CONSIDER buying one. My motto. So I already know what it sounds good on and if I need it.

So I pretty much know what I am using it on before I shell out ducketts.

John
good philosophy. where do YOU rent gear from?
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

If you work as an engineer you will eventually try most things. Or you can buy an hours time at a studio that has things your interested in! And that will save ya more money than ya know. And probably will spark interest in other things. An hour or 2 of studio time can change your life. If that is what ya want. But will definitely change your direction.

You can rent stuff by looking online for a local rental place. Don't waste your money buying hype. Try before you buy and you will be so MUCH happier!

John
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

First my own voice, next electric guitar (always with an API and a GR pre) and lastly a large, empty room. I found out that background noise & rumble tells me a lot.
Sometimes, ususally with condensers, I'll also mic my wristwatch on a table.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear
I keep them in their hermitically* sealed cases, you devalue them by recording

Hahaha I know what you mean though, like do you record something standard so you can hear for yourself the basic characteristics. I just mic it on the main sources I bought it for to be honest

But...

The last few condensers I've purchased have just been setup through my laptop buss-powered rig in the lounge room so I can see how Homer Simpson or the cast of Neighbours (Australian & UK reference) sound through the mic vs what my ears actually hear whilst I eat some pot noodles lol Thats become my ritual

I might put an M201 on the TV's grill whilst Oprah is on for my next mic purchase, get some proximity effect happening
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

LOL!!!!! they don't devalue by recording goofball!!! Just keep smoke away from them and a pop filter on and they last a lifetime. And store them well. But that is common sense.

John
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Soak it for an hour then bake for six hours.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

tell the kids that daddy needed it more than they need to see the dentist while giving them a new straw for their blender burgers.

g
Old 16th December 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

I talk or "sing" to it from different distances and angles. It it asks me what the hell is wrong with me, I know I made the right choice.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

For tube mics I power them up and leave on for some hrs

Matti
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

open the box, look at it from all sides, check the manual for special things wich need to be done, and test it with a voice (could be mine) on a pre i know well.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmachine View Post
First I usually smell it for some reason heh Then I'll try it on some acoustic or electric guitar. - paul
I thought I'd be the only one who did that.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

There are two reasons I may buy a mic -

1. I need one for a specific purpose on a specific session. I buy it, make sure it works, and place it in front of that source.

2. I stumble onto a great deal. In that case, the mic will sit with the others until I feel like trying it on something. Then I do.

I tend not to plug a mic in and try it on different sources just to learn it. Any A/Bing I've done has been in session, and quickly.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmachine View Post
First I usually smell it for some reason(...)
I originally didn't use to, but since receiving the NakedEye Roswellite this has changed!
Until then I was more used to mics either smelling like metal, or like a dog that's been in the rain, so the smell was more of a necessary evil.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Plug it in?
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Sugar View Post
I thought I'd be the only one who did that.
I'm another sniffer. That's four by my count in this thread.

BTW, if you buy used mics, hold off on the sniff test, esp. if they came from ebay. I only made that mistake once; now I test used mics on a voice and guitar, then take them all apart, clean & sterilize the grille, etc. When I'm done I smell them. Then I record stuff with 'em.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boschen View Post
I'm another sniffer. That's four by my count in this thread.

BTW, if you buy used mics, hold off on the sniff test, esp. if they came from ebay. I only made that mistake once; now I test used mics on a voice and guitar, then take them all apart, clean & sterilize the grille, etc. When I'm done I smell them. Then I record stuff with 'em.
Make that 5... I sniff too. (but didn`t want to be the first to admit it)
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

I hook it up and start singing into it hoping it will actually make me sound good.
I'm always disappointed.

I can't sing to save my life though, but I'm still hoping!
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroque View Post

First thing : hide it so my wife does'nt know I spent another $3000.00 on something she can't wear, eat or brag about.

Second thing: When it is all safe, then write on GearSlutz and brag about my new mic.

And finally, tell my clients that this is the BEST mic ever...

Salute !

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search