The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MCU Pro extender whine...normal? Control Surfaces
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

MCU Pro extender whine...normal?

Just took delivery of a Mackie MCU Pro and fader extender. I've only had about 10 minutes to play around with them, and noticed a couple of things with the extender:
1) Mackie includes a USB cable in the box....which seems nice until you realize the extender needs 2 short MIDI cables to connect to the main MCU pro.
2) When the extender is on I can hear a high pitched whine. It sounds like a flyback whine from the inverter driving the backlight panel. It's audible in my quiet studio. The main unit, by comparison, has no whine.

Did I get a bad unit?

Cheers

Kris
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

I have a slight whine in one of my extenders but it's a rogue fader motor. I can touch the fader and the whine stops.

Other than that, my MCU setup works well.

-Rich
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

I haven't experienced the noise but I get a rouge fader every now and then. I have 2 extenders and both screens are fading on me.

If you think it's a bad unit, get on the phone with Mackie. They've been helpful every time I've called. The even tried to help me work through a nasty problem with earlier versions of Cubase.
Old 23rd July 2016
Here for the gear

Hi Kris,
I just picked up a used Mackie MCU Pro XT and am getting the same whine you described when I turn on the unit. Were you able to solve your problem? My main unit does not whine.
Thanks!
Mike
Old 23rd July 2016
Sometimes my makes a noise, usually when it gets a signal from my midi box before the song completely loads. Once loaded though it's quiet.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search