The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can you mix a great sounding record using just an SSL? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 16th December 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
Can you mix a great sounding record using just an SSL?

Hi

Can you mix a great sounding record using just the tools available on an SSL : Bus comp, channel eq and channel dynamics? (Hardware or plugins whichever you prefer)

Interested on getting some pro feedback on this.
Old 16th December 2010
  #2
Gear Guru
A pretty huge pile of great sounding records says yes, you can.
Old 16th December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
Talking about with no distressors or 1176's or la2a's etc patched in
Old 16th December 2010
  #5
Gear Nut
 

You sure could, and a lot of classic records have been except they had outboard reverb/effects. It would sound petty dry without it. Although, I guess you could just have recorded the effects into the signal.
Old 16th December 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
Sounds good, thanks for the replies guys.

Can one point me in the direction of some records that were mixed in this way, with basically only the ssl eq and channel compressors (not counting special fx etc...)
Old 16th December 2010
  #7
Gear Nut
 

Secrets Of The Mix Engineers: Mike Fraser


Check out this article with Mike Fraser tracking ACDC on a Neve, and then mixing on an SSL. Its very very interesting. Mike Fraser rocks!
Old 16th December 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 

David Bowie's "Lets Dance" album was tracked and mixed on an SSL also using the SSL preamps.
Old 16th December 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
JoaT's Avatar
50-100$ console with no outboard?

Sounds like a real world scenario to me...

heh
Old 16th December 2010
  #10
Gear Addict
 
nicpope's Avatar
 

Turn off the bus comp and you'll really have something.
Old 16th December 2010
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
tobias schuch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyD View Post
Secrets Of The Mix Engineers: Mike Fraser


Check out this article with Mike Fraser tracking ACDC on a Neve, and then mixing on an SSL. Its very very interesting. Mike Fraser rocks!
Mike Fraser is awesome.

I was lucky enough to have a peek into his room a few months ago... He really didnt have as much outboard as i would have expected (of course, it might not have been in the room at the time). Very nice setup tho (sooo many flags/skulls stike)
Old 16th December 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 
mowmow's Avatar
Basic sound Yes. But SSL don't come with reverb or delay or chorus etc.
Old 16th December 2010
  #13
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicpope View Post
Turn off the bus comp and you'll really have something.
The bus comp is part of the SSL sound.
Old 16th December 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 
RCM - Ronan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post

Can one point me in the direction of some records that were mixed in this way, with basically only the ssl eq and channel compressors (not counting special fx etc...)
Tobias already did. Check out the Andy Wallace mix discography form the last decade. According to his interviews, its almost all just the SSL.
Old 16th December 2010
  #15
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias schuch View Post
Mike Fraser is awesome.

I was lucky enough to have a peek into his room a few months ago... He really didnt have as much outboard as i would have expected (of course, it might not have been in the room at the time). Very nice setup tho (sooo many flags/skulls stike)
Yea, it appears in that article that he takes the simplistic route. Which makes a lot of sense. One of my favourites!
Old 16th December 2010
  #16
Gear Maniac
 
tobias schuch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyD View Post
Yea, it appears in that article that he takes the simplistic route. Which makes a lot of sense. One of my favourites!
Definitely.

I can't remember exactly what he had in the room at the time but i do remember a rack of api eq's, gml 8200, rack of dbx 902s, dbx 160 and the usual la2a, la3a & 1176. Apparently he had a mini marshall in the room as well and was reamping vocals.... but who really knows.
Old 16th December 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 
travisbrown's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
Can you mix a great sounding record using just the tools available on an SSL : Bus comp, channel eq and channel dynamics? (Hardware or plugins whichever you prefer)
Without trying to sound condescending, why do you ask? Do you have access to an SSL and a project on the horizon, or just asking for general interest? Why do you differentiate SSL from any other large format console like API, MCI, Neve, etc?

I would hazard a guess that more commercial albums have been recorded and mixed on an SSL than any other brand of console. There was a time when you actually mixed on a console using the channel strips rather than outsourcing the signal processing.

It's sort of de facto. It's what SSLs were built for. It's kind of like asking, "can I bang this nail in with this hammer?"
Old 16th December 2010
  #18
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 

The simple answer is yes, as long as you don't need any effects such as reverb, delay, ect...
Old 16th December 2010
  #19
Gear Addict
 
Yeah, right...'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
Hi

Can you mix a great sounding record using just the tools available on an SSL : Bus comp, channel eq and channel dynamics? (Hardware or plugins whichever you prefer)

Interested on getting some pro feedback on this.
This is a joke, right...?
Old 16th December 2010
  #20
RiF
Lives for gear
 
RiF's Avatar
I've heard great mixes that have been done with the stock Digirack plugins alone.
I've heard absolute crap mixes, done with decent outboard gear and a fully loaded UAD-2 or whatnot.
It's not the tools, it's the engineer and the recorded material.
Old 16th December 2010
  #21
Gear Addict
 
nicpope's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
The bus comp is part of the SSL sound.
Oh sorry, I guess I'll go remix all those records I've done on our 4056e with the quad compressor turned off.
Old 16th December 2010
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicpope View Post
Oh sorry, I guess I'll go remix all those records I've done on our 4056e with the quad compressor turned off.
Horses for courses.

I think a lot of what people call the "SSL sound" is partly down to the buss compressor.

And also partly down to the EQs, and channel dynamics of course.

But just as you've mixed lots of records with no Quadbuss comp, don't be so dismissive of those who love it!
Old 16th December 2010
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Chucho's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
Hi

Can you mix a great sounding record using just the tools available on an SSL : Bus comp, channel eq and channel dynamics? (Hardware or plugins whichever you prefer)

Interested on getting some pro feedback on this.
apart from FX of course, hasn't Prince recorded mostly with SSL ?
Old 16th December 2010
  #24
Gear Addict
 
nicpope's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Horses for courses.

I think a lot of what people call the "SSL sound" is partly down to the buss compressor.

And also partly down to the EQs, and channel dynamics of course.

But just as you've mixed lots of records with no Quadbuss comp, don't be so dismissive of those who love it!
I guess I just see that compressor as a quick fix so the idea that you would have to have it to be really mixing doesn't compute.
Old 16th December 2010
  #25
Lives for gear
 
rhythmtech's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicpope View Post
I guess I just see that compressor as a quick fix so the idea that you would have to have it to be really mixing doesn't compute.
depends how you use it doesnt it.

i spent a lot of last year on a g+ and had it turned on from the start of each mix. i wouldnt look at it as a quick fix in that kinda situation.

i understand where you're coming from though, i have turned it on near the end of a mix just to see if it helped. definitly a quick fix in that situ.
Old 16th December 2010
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucho View Post
apart from FX of course, hasn't Prince recorded mostly with SSL ?
Most of classic Prince back in the day was an API / Demedio at Sunset Sound and he also bought the desk for Paisley Park.
Old 16th December 2010
  #27
Lives for gear
 

No...

You also need tracks of music.

Is this a joke thread?
Old 16th December 2010
  #28
Lives for gear
Hey guys

Sorry if the question was foolish. I just want to hear some records where like the only compressors and eq's used were the stuff on the SSL.

Which I know would probably be strange... why would someone have a 50k console with no outboard? I'm more interested in hearing the sound of the SSL compressors on everything.

I'm also curious because I want to know what Waves and UAD etc are going for with the SSL plugins.

Because I have heard that people liked SSL's because they opened up the doors for all kinds of automation and routing. Not necessarily because people liked the sound of the eq's and compressor/gates.
Old 16th December 2010
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
I'm also curious because I want to know what Waves and UAD etc are going for with the SSL plugins.
I don't think plugins are close enough to the hardware that "inspired" them to listen to the hardware and come away with any meaningful evaluation of what the plugin version can do.
Old 16th December 2010
  #30
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
I've heard great mixes that have been done with the stock Digirack plugins alone.
I've heard absolute crap mixes, done with decent outboard gear and a fully loaded UAD-2 or whatnot.
It's not the tools, it's the engineer and the recorded material.
What he said.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
switch1 / So much gear, so little time
13
HOTC / High end
3
Keyflo / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
20
indie / So much gear, so little time
4

Forum Jump
Forum Jump