The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best DAW skin EVER!!
Old 26th August 2012
Here for the gear

[/QUOTE]

I want to touch them knobs n buttons
Old 26th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
Wow!!

I just got this by email from a friend.
Seems to be made by a GUI layout designer for many-a-folk like Focus, Stilwell, Novation, Slate... maybe a member here too?

A Reaper 4 skin apparently!

Damn! I cant stop looking at it, and imagining it as my daily workflow eye-candy!
I really hope a future revision includes a nice metering solution

Well done! I can so imagine automation giving me a hard-on! heh
Never considered Reaper... this alone... seriously!

Check his work, pretty amazing!

The House of White Tie

screenshot attatched

Should appeal to gamers.

I'm mildly put off by such graphic excesses. Sometimes, more than mildly.

I want GUIs that provide information in an easy-to-see, quick-to-grasp format that offer controls that are easy to use.

For instance, I really don't like them, but I can get by with rotary position knobs -- as long as I don't have to "turn" them with the mouse. (IOW, they should basically respond to straight up/down 'slider' style mouse movements.) But, for gosh sake, a nice, clean slider provides a far easier to manipulate, easier to read interface; it's UI design 100. You can just click on the position you want the slider.

Sadly, plug in makers give in to the wannabe juvenilia that is such a part of the music production scene now.

When they create designs that waste valuable resources (dancing VU meters with wee shadows under the needles -- is there NO END to this insipid, insulting madness?!?) and that are harder to use, I find myself growing ever more weary of the utter lameness of so many in this game.
Old 27th August 2012
Lives for gear

I bet it sounds better too....

Sent from my PC36100
Old 27th August 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
...When they create designs that waste valuable resources (dancing VU meters with wee shadows under the needles -- is there NO END to this insipid, insulting madness?!?) and that are harder to use, I find myself growing ever more weary of the utter lameness of so many in this game.
can't agree more...
Old 27th August 2012
Here for the gear

Hi,

First post here!

Just to say that this theme is now finished! It's here! (there are many screenshots)

I use it and it's really an incredible theme, it has really improved my workflow!

Old 27th August 2012
Gear Nut

Wow, this skin looks amazing! How can I try it out? (TL;DR entire thread)
Old 27th August 2012
Here for the gear

You download it (button at the right of the page), then double-click on the theme file or drag&drop it in Reaper.

But you need to have at least 1080 pixels of vertical resolution...

And two important things:
Quote:
Imperial's mixer needs to be undocked and maximised; if you only have one screen then flip back and forth to the mixer using CTRL+M.
Quote:
In: Options > Preferences > Appearance

'Tint track panel backgrounds' should be unticked
'Track grouping indicators' should be set to 'Lines on edge'

NOTE : Don't go nuts in the preferences, just because you're in there, unless you know what you are doing. You can get yourself into a mess!
But try to read what's written on the page, you will save time later!

Oh, and of course you need Reaper...
Old 27th August 2012
Gear Head

This skin really looks amazing.
Old 27th August 2012
RiF
Lives for gear

BTW, a computer or graphics processor doesn't draw prettier graphics slower than uglier ones!
This skin is not only extremely good looking but also very well to use.

And it's always a good idea to switch off the monitor to just listen and take away all visual distraction from the eyes, no matter what graphics quality you see on the screen/console/meters (software or hardware).
Old 27th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
I bet it sounds better too....

Sent from my PC36100
Well I don't. IMHO, It is stupid to think that looks don't count, that it does not help with the creative process, and/or that looks are a substitute for sonic quality. Just because it looks good it doesn't mean it doesn't have quality! In fact, usually, those with a high sense of design do it to reinforce the underlying quality of the work.

If the statement you agree on was valid, we would still be working like this. This was the first audio/midi tracker (as was called back then) I ever used. (though I never did this style of music)

Try looking at that for 4 hours straight trying to compose music, and then I'll take your opinion better. Liten at the 2:20 mark... LPF filtering that voice sample was a indescribable pain the ass to program, and this already was a GUI driven software with mouse!

Now, choosing stuff based on looks alone is stupid too, I agree. I am not defending this at all... but it just stumps me how people become fanatical about "new looks" and rigid that "the old way is the only best way".

About Reaper

Quote:
NOTE : Don't go nuts in the preferences, just because you're in there, unless you know what you are doing. You can get yourself into a mess!
This is what scares me about switching to Reaper... I fear that eventually I would clog up the software with a preference tweak. If Reaper were LESS customizable and more stable (as in user/walter-tweak-prtotection, Reaper is rock solid from user reports I've read) - I would switch right now. But I fear I would bug the software out while adjusting to my workflow... Its just too much of a pain to either master the software as is, or tweaking to mimic my current workflow... Guess I'm getting too old for the adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Duc View Post
Hi,

First post here!
Welcome aboard and my sincere congratulations! I bet anyone who's handled dozens of different boards throughout the years will absolutely adore working of this theme! This alone makes me want to jump into Reaper... But your disclaimers put me off a bit. Not YOUR specific warnings, but the whole Walter thing. You really have to commit to Reaper and dive deep into its architecture to be on the "safe side". Or am I just fearing the unknown?

Comments welcome.
Old 27th August 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang
This is what scares me about switching to Reaper... I fear that eventually I would clog up the software with a preference tweak. If Reaper were LESS customizable and more stable (as in user/walter-tweak-prtotection, Reaper is rock solid from user reports I've read) - I would switch right now. But I fear I would bug the software out while adjusting to my workflow... Its just too much of a pain to either master the software as is, or tweaking to mimic my current workflow... Guess I'm getting too old for the adventure
Yeah, I hear ya'

The short answer, though, is don't over-tweak.

In other words do just what White Tie says on the web page and no more and you'll be just fine.

Later, if something is not to your liking, just post on the forum (forum.cockos.com) the folks are generally super helpful.

Disclaimer:
Yes I use Reaper as I find it the most stable engine I have ever used, and I have used most of the "usual suspects".
I have also done work as a professional software engineer for most of the "usual suspects" so I have a rare, but non-disclosure type of insight into the internals.
Old 27th August 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
I've deeply customized my version of Reaper and I've never had serious problems. And if you do something really wrong it's easy to go back to the default options...

Quote:
Welcome aboard and my sincere congratulations!
Thanks for the welcome... but I'm not the designer, just a simple Reaper user! (and a big fan of this theme, it's really easy to use!)
Old 27th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by -tc- View Post
I'm with you there ... not so much a fan of skeuomorphism in UI design.

I do quite like software "fader caps" to look pointlessly real though for some reason ... I don't give a tousle about the rest of it.

... if you're a Mac user, don't look at Lion ... there are some things in there that will actually offend you
I'm all for attractive and usable design. And if others do get inspired by elaborate "3D" skeuomorphic design elements, I think it's great that they have the option.

And, let's say, 'sensible' skeuomorphic design can definitely help new users navigate unfamiliar software.

It's only when those elements become a processing burden to the OS and hardware system or when they actually make practical use harder or less intuitive that I get twitchy. (Like the knob interfacres I mentioned above that require a tricky circular mouse motion in order to turn up or down -- stuff like that turns ease of use on its head.)

Now I have to go look for Lion screenshots. heh

(For the record, I've used OS X a fair bit amount over the last 6 or 7 years but often found myself wishing they'd left out some of the visual gewgaws and created a much faster, more responsive GUI. [Although processing capabilties have finally caught up. Recent Macs seem almost sprightly in their GUI. Almost.] When I'm working, I'm focused on apps. As far as I'm concerned, an OS is a powerful platform for apps that, hopefully, gives them the low level tools to do high powered work, and lets me move complex data objects like documents, mixed-vector and bitmap complex graphic objects, and other elements simple and complex from one application space to another, but otherwise stays out of the way. I prefer a neutral appearance in my OS. So much so that I use the 'classic' Windows skin familiar since the 90s, with a few user niceties like drop shadow under mouse -- helps visibility, ditto with menus and other floating objects. But crap like animated scrolling menus and all the other gee whiz crap they've tried adding in over the years? WTF? What's the point? I just want to get into my apps and get some work -- or play -- in.)
Old 27th August 2012
Lives for gear

I like it...looks like a real console in many ways...I wish Cubase would adopt a more pro look like this. It just seems to me to be more "familiar."
Old 27th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Now I have to go look for Lion screenshots. heh
These will raise your eyebrows ...

http://ryanmckern.com/wp-content/upl...dress-book.png

http://www.jordswart.org/wp-content/...auto-20771.png

----------

Don't know about everyone else, but I think 'Imperial' would be greatly improved by swapping the position and size of 'solo' and 'cut' ... a solo button that big and obvious is conducive to bad mixing habits ...
Old 27th August 2012
Quote:
I actually thought the address book was OK. I don't have a problem with cute -- as long as it's functional and doesn't drag down the system. A little textured bitmap at the top? No prob for me. (Although, I've seldom seen a 3DW leather-bound calendar book with radio buttons. ) And I'm actually a fan of drop shadows when used right, since they help differentiate one window from others on a crowded screen.

The contact book, OTOH, I couldn't even figure out what it was supposed to be at first. And then, you know, I found myself trying to swipe to the next page with my mouse. heh

I couldn't help but notice these were shot without any contextual background. I'm so used to seeing screenshots from desktop OS's with the window in question floating above other windows, etc... and that raised the question, are these full screen applications? It seems like the mobile world is stuck in the mid-80s as far as that aspect of UI design goes. It drives me nuts to have all these isolated apps and have minimal-to-zero ability to move data objects between them. I mean, seriously, it's 2012... Joe Sixpack may not care if his computer/mobile UI is even dumber than he is -- but I am spoiled.

(And back to swiping... I've got a touch phone and a tablet. Who the F thought dragging your smeary finger across the view area was a good way to turn pages and such? Yes, it does not require accuracy like putting a thumb or finger on an onscreen page turn button, but dang, over and over I keep thinking, these touch screen UI designers are SO caught up in being clever that they are often kissing off usability for 'groovy' features like the Google Play reader's way too cute animated page turns. Sure, the first couple times you use it, it's like, Wow, gee whiz! And then it's like, let's see, isn't there a hot spot at the edge of the page I can touch to get it to turn without all the fanfare? (There is, but you still get the animation [maybe it can be turned off, dunno]. But it's kind of semi-moot, anyhow, because the Google Play reader ONLY works with media you get through... guess where -- the Play Store [nee Android Market]. So much for open tools and standards, eh, Google? What freaks me out is that they ALL seem to be going for this customer-lock-in crap that Apple brought to the consumer market, after learning the lesson from the old Goliath, 'Big Blue' IBM, who were infamous for milking enterprise customers. Still, I thought it was important to have a tablet when I started seeing that some ~60-65% or more of the traffic to my blogs and other sites was coming from mobiles. Tablets, of course, are almost worthless for getting any work done unless you hook up a keyboard and a pointing device of some kind. I've tried using Google's much vaunted voice input system and, while it's the best I've used, there are invariably a number of mis-hears and going back and editing with your finger totally sucks. Virtual keyboards are probably OK enough for one finger typists but I can type 60-80 wpm and this is like being stuck in molasses. That said, it's a great little device for passive consumption. Although I totally need to get a matte screen cover as the glossy screen makes it almost unsuable because of glare. Watching HD movies on my Nexus 7 is enjoyable -- but only when it's in my easel case or suction cup clamp holder -- and in the dark.)
Old 27th August 2012
Baz
Lives for gear

I wish you didn't need 4 to use it. I've found 3.78 the most stable on my system
Old 8th November 2014
Lives for gear

Just DL's this theme and reaper to have a look at it , I have to say it is very cool looking . I like the emulated console look and it is pretty easy to navigate . Coming from a cubase side of things . I wish Cubase would adapt to something like this .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search