The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best DAW skin EVER!!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidperetz View Post
great skin!!
finaaly someone imported the best ergonimc aspect of a console into the daw (leds!! big solo button) but there is something that i could never understand, how come no DAW skin put's the channel led meter under (as in behind, occuping the same space ) the fader? add a small pre/post switch and you got the best metering solution ever. no need to look at two diffrent places, gainstaging will be much more understood and controlled that way, and it frees screen space.
Man... SO right your are!

And its done!! (well, part of...) Nice big leds of various forms. Some dude even made BIG automation "analog" switches that look quite good (smaller would be nicer, not shown here). I skimmed through the 10 page thread about it, and was amazed. Great community co-operation too. I was seriously impressed. Just think of something and its gets done!

Check this out! Nice with the leds! Reports of working great on touchscreens!

Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I went through the thread too, and here's the recap of the text written by White Tie (the maker of this DRAFT):

This will never be a default skin for Reaper. There are numerous problems judging by the usability standpoint. Needed screen resolution for starters. The other issues included VU meters that can't be implemented in a way they are drawn (by someone else than White Tie, and not up to par with his work, I might add) in the image above because of the limitations in Reapers graphics engine used in the GUI. This design was not meant to be anything but test the implementation of certain new features of the GUI (namely non-stretching background images for fader panes and leds that light their surrounding areas).

That said, there will be a skin (or probably several) based on this design. But this is just a draft and something White Tie came up with one day of testing.

It is a (somewhat) working prototype, tho. And nice eye candy.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncaparker View Post
It's the little things that make life worth living.
That's what she said.
That's not what she said to me.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

We all know how important looks are....
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

Hmmm There seems to be something about Reaper that leads inexorably to geeking out on "customizing" it instead of making music..
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFire View Post
Hmmm There seems to be something about Reaper that leads inexorably to geeking out on "customizing" it instead of making music..
Tell him what he's won Bob!

I remember when I was younger I played a game called Day Of Defeat 1.3 And I found myself using 90% of my time downloading custom skins and crosshairs. Totally ok for a game. But when it comes to recording I like that my PT and Logic is what it is, I can move forward without looking for the latest and greatest skin by 5up3rSk1nH4x0r2500.

Reaper does nothing that cannot be done with any other DAW, it does not produce better quality. It is a waste of time and money on a sub-par DAW.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've noticed that too, that's one of the things that turns me off about it. I'm not knocking it it's just not for me.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
This may be true for some users, but surely not for all....I can totally see where you're coming from though, as I tend to fall into the geeky category. However the other side of the coin is that the ability to customise nearly everything means that geekily-inclined individuals can set up a system they can be extremely efficient with, incorporating workflow/features from multiple other DAWs in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
Reaper does nothing that cannot be done with any other DAW, it does not produce better quality. It is a waste of time and money on a sub-par DAW.
On the contrary, this depends on your perspective sir! It can do almost everything that other DAWs can do, and is much cheaper both to buy, and in terms of cpu hit. That is valuable to some. Please don't accidentally start a flame-war with arsonistic comments that any given DAW is sub-par.........it all depends on what you want from a DAW. End of. Let us not argue about things which truly do not matter.
heh
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

the faders look cheap.

like it matters.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eganmedia View Post
the faders look cheap.

like it matters.
When things are cheap they look it too.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
When things are cheap they look it too.
the mixer in this thread is a design concept. a single channel strip that a user is workin on. treat it as such.
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear

So now that Reaper 4 is out, is this skin available?
Old 5th August 2011
Here for the gear

Also wondering!! It looks clean!!
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear

It wasnt a skin for reaper, i cant remember but something about the graphics in reaper not able to handle this skin, that sounded dirtyheh
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear

^^ that graphics thing is simply the way that peak meters are drawn - it doesn't quite allow for the styling in the above screenshot.

And no it's not available as a skin at the moment. But if you like it, you can finish it yourself
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear

I'd also love to know where this skin can be obtained. Looks great to me. Googling "Reaper White Imperial Skin" turned up nothing.

-Ben B
Old 5th August 2011
Gear Addict

I miss PT 7...
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
Googling "Reaper White Imperial Skin" turned up nothing.
google skillz

hint: follow the first link ...

Last edited by -tc-; 5th August 2011 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: ... z's are more hip than s's ...
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
google skillz

hint: follow the first link ...
Ha ha, thanks... LOL
Old 6th August 2011
Gear Nut

gotta admit this looks amazing

maybe one day pro tools will enable different skins
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

They won't. I'm glad, it's part of PT's "job" to be reliably the same everywhere. It does that well, and Avid aren't stupid

The whole yin-yang of reaper customisation is not appropriate for PT imo.
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

Ch 1 - One
Ch 2 - Two
Ch 3 - Trousers
Ch 4 - Cabbage
Ch 5 - Bagpipes
Ch 6 - Lead Kazoo
Ch 7 - Violence
Ch 8 - Reverb

Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

"Hand Walter'd"

Awesome.
Old 6th August 2011
Coming from the analog world, and having owned a lot of analog gear and having an analog board as part of my overall rig, I have never understood the appeal of these highly detailed "realistic" graphic skins.

I want a UI that is clean, simple, easy to see, easy to read labels on, is flexible (allowing customer colors for different tracks, etc), is easy to navigate (those little instrument icons you can attach to channels/tracks might seem silly at first but they can certainly help one quickly navigate through a big project) and has a solid, quick workflow.

(Not to mention that I've been using computers in music for so long that it is deeply ingrained in me that I want every bit of resources available to the real work -- I don't want to have to spend extra on heat-producing graphics acceleration to support highly detailed animated graphics. Nothing has offended me as much as those insipid animated "VU" needle-meter graphics.)

I could hardly care less about how much it looks like "the real thing." To me, the DAW is the DAW -- and that is a real thing, too. I don't want it to look and act like an analog mixer -- unless that is in ways that somehow improve the workflow.

Analog mixers evolved as they did because they were 3D world hardware -- with all the implied limitations. I want a DAW that is freed of 3D world limitations.
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

I'm with you there ... not so much a fan of skeuomorphism in UI design.

I do quite like software "fader caps" to look pointlessly real though for some reason ... I don't give a tousle about the rest of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Nothing has offended me as much as those insipid animated "VU" needle-meter graphics.
... if you're a Mac user, don't look at Lion ... there are some things in there that will actually offend you
Old 7th August 2011
Lives for gear

that looks phenomenal!
Old 1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

I think one of the main reasons I stopped using a computer for music is that I got started on Cubase SX 2.0, and although I found it to be a great program , looking at that icy blue/grey screen for hours was just dreadful. It was so cold and sterile looking, like a doctors waiting room or something. Even adjusting the tones of the color didn't do too much.

I think skins for music recording software is a really cool and a great idea. They should make a package with many different looks to choose from, and completely customizable. It's not realism or something that looks 3D that i would want , i'd rather have ideas like textures and fabric looking designs to work with. I'd actually like my music recording software to look like felt, soft and warm material, or burlap backdrops, etc. ANything but silvery, cold looking metal displays. Something that's comfortable looking if you are going to be looking at it for such long times.
Old 1st March 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncaparker View Post
Omigosh.

OK, am I the only person immature enough to snicker when you put the words "4" and "skin" one after the other?

If that's not enough, keep the above in mind as you ponder a few quotes from this thread:

I nearly shot milk out of my nose. I guess I will never grow up.

It's the little things that make life worth living.
That's what she said.

Damn I am glad it aint just me!! "Reaper 4skin" wow! I cannot stop sniggering!
Awesome!! this has made my day!

Happy Days. I won't grow up! I don't wanna wear a tie.............

Long x
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

cubase 5 user here. I love the whole LED thing next to the fader. I like it better than the standard Cubase metering. Any GUI options for Cubase that anyone knows of?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search