The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Punk Rock Vox Micing Advice? Dynamic Microphones
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

Punk Rock Vox Micing Advice?

I'm looking for some advice on how to capture a great singing/yelling/screaming vocal sound. Right now my best idea is to align and SM7 with a large-diaphragm condenser.

Also, does anyone have advice on how to run a cue mix to the vocalist for the best results/least strain on the voice?
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinATX View Post
I'm looking for some advice on how to capture a great singing/yelling/screaming vocal sound. Right now my best idea is to align and SM7 with a large-diaphragm condenser.

Also, does anyone have advice on how to run a cue mix to the vocalist for the best results/least strain on the voice?
SM57 with a pop filter into a compressor set to stun would probably be sufficient.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Forgot the condensor, let them hold the sm7 in their hands. If you can compress the vocal they hear in their headphones hard do it.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

I track hardcore punk bands on a semi-regular basis. Depends on the approach and if the band decides to track completely live or track separately.

If it is recorded completely live I usually ask if the vocalist is has objections with using a mic on a stand or if they want to hold a microphone. If they can stay in one place I use an SM7, if they think it will benefit the performance to jump around with a mic or whatever I give them an SM58 and use more Compression. Obviously for studio purposes USUALLY you want the mic on a stand, in one place, but if you're working with a band that has a totally rabid live performance and they want to recreate it, sometimes an SM58 does the trick just right. If it sounds like **** you can always do another take.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupid_life View Post
I track hardcore punk bands on a semi-regular basis. Depends on the approach and if the band decides to track completely live or track separately.

If it is recorded completely live I usually ask if the vocalist is has objections with using a mic on a stand or if they want to hold a microphone. If they can stay in one place I use an SM7, if they think it will benefit the performance to jump around with a mic or whatever I give them an SM58 and use more Compression. Obviously for studio purposes USUALLY you want the mic on a stand, in one place, but if you're working with a band that has a totally rabid live performance and they want to recreate it, sometimes an SM58 does the trick just right. If it sounds like **** you can always do another take.
what he said. thumbsup
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Guru

The last punk rock band I did I handed him a sm58 and told him to jump around as much as he wanted. Ran it through a La-610, hard and compressed.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinATX View Post

The SM7 is a great choice. If the singer is more comfortable holding the mic, then give them an SM57.

In your situation, I would run the cue mix through the monitors and turn them up loud enough to push the singer to compete with them like they would in a live performance situation. Bleed should be minimal and not an issue.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

The last screaming punker I recorded, an RE20 (asked him to please don't throw it against the wall if he got excited) and told him to eat it. I liked the lack of proximity, which can present issues hand held. Compress @ ~1,000,000,000:1. Worked well for me.

I stretched a thin baby sock over it for hygienic purposes. It was a wet performance :~D
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I have recorded all varieties of punk. you name it I have recorded it. with that said, for me its always been an SM7b into either GR (!) or Daking then (smashed) into my 1176ln. I love that heavy compression on vocals. can't go wrong with the SM7-GR-1176 combo!
Old 15th December 2010
Deleted User

A 57 or 58 would be sufficient for sure

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search