The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
total novice seeks 8 channel mixing desk
Old 15th December 2010
Here for the gear

total novice seeks 8 channel mixing desk

hi gear guys,

i read here a lot but this is my first post. it may seem similar to others but i actually can't find anything specific to this situation on these forums, so here's a new thread!

i have a nice microphone and a macbook with Logic Pro. thus far i have had good results recording directly into the computer with just that microphone. this has been mono, one track, guy-with-guitar stuff. i have never taken audio from more than one mic at once, so i need a bit of help.

i want to extend this setup to getting drums, amps and stuff together at the same time. so i need more than one mic. i think 8 channels will be plenty cos i like simple, spartan recordings (neil young, beatles etc). 8 channels, treble/bass, L/R. a send for an old tape echo i'm buying could be good, but i guess they'll all have that.

things i don't know that i need help with are:
- if i run the mixing desk into the computer and i've panned things L and R, will it just turn into one mono track? if so how does one avoid this? mono's fine, but i do want the stereo option!
- and what's a good mixer to get? i don't know exactly what to look for in a desk. what makes them good or bad?

looking to go second hand/ebay etc. not cheap, not expensive, just does the job. (what i don't need is the more professional setup, where the computer records all your tracks to separate, editable lines in the program. one stereo track coming in from the desk will be fine.)

thanks, help appreciated. (and sorry about my lack of any technical terminology)
Pat
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Addict

You'd be running the stereo output of the desk into the computer I believe? So with panning etc on the desk, you should get a stereo output into the computer. Good way to do this is with a desk that has an Alt 3-4 output or similar.

This is a great guide, read it all thoroughly.

Have a look at some Allen and Heath, Soundcraft and Mackie desks that have the features you want.

Good luck with your recording ventures

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search