The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How Important To You Is Comfort While Mixing Modular Synthesizers
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Maniac

How Important To You Is Comfort While Mixing

kind of off topic, but i have been considering buying a comfortable chair to have for my studio, but I also have a lot gear I want to purchase. My chair now is so so, but i was trying some out at an office supply store and wow.

The question is how high do you regard comfort while mixing/recording? More important than a new mic, new plugins or upgrades?
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Addict

Obviously if you spend a ton of time in front of your rig, you want to be comfortable. Those black mesh chairs you see in big studios are not cheap, for that reason.

If you're on a tight budget, try going to a thrift store or Goodwill. They have office type furniture from time to time and you might be able to get a good deal on a great chair. Otherwise you should be able to get a decent chair from an office supply store for around $100. A drop in the bucket in terms of gear money.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Poon View Post
The question is how high do you regard comfort while mixing/recording? More important than a new mic, new plugins or upgrades?
Unfortunately so. Anything that stands in the way of your concentration can't be compensated by plugins, mics or preamps. It doesn't mean expensive furniture or complicated lighting scheme ; just things you can forget ad that won't bang on your door at the worst possible moment.

Somehow, people seem to have eventually gathered that acoustics come before gear. So do ergonomics.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Addict

Definitely. Comfort and also a well organised, tidy workspace, help a bucketload.

Apart from horrid acoustics, the one thing that bugs me about my meagre studio setup at the moment is the fact that I have to squeeze my office, guitar teaching and all my personal stuff into the same room. If I could afford to have a house with a completely separate room just for the studio, I would love to. Keeping this space tidy is a nightmare.

Stealing my girlfriend's comfy office chair was a huge step up though.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Addict

Steelcase Leap chair Refurbished Models Version 1 - eBay (item 310278291738 end time Dec-15-10 15:23:29 PST)

Anything like this price is a steal.... no pun intended. They had warranties for like 10 years or something. Had mine repaired for free once.

I use this chair and wouldn't trade it for the world.

-ashley
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

its crazy how much comfort have to with mixing... when im comfortable, well fed and have energy... i can instantly see more instruments together and put them in there respective places... if im tired, ill usually just turn down everything bright and add reverb to everything.... specially when im stoned echo and reverb are a lot of fun when ur stoned. not so much when you wanna hear thing pop
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I just dropped 200 bucks on a VERY comfortable office chair from staples... I put off some gear purchases to pay for the chair... so worth it.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Virtually irrelevant compared to comfort while playing, which is how I spend the vast majority of my musical time. When mixing I have at most 8 tape tracks that pretty much mix themselves, so it takes far less time than I spend playing, practicing and tracking. YMMV. I just use an old piano stool. It does have a padded seat, so it's not so bad for short term mixing use, which is all I ever do.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Guru

Once I get into to mixing, I forget to be comfortable, I forget to eat when I am hungry, postpone sleep and so on.

A good chair, decent snacks and a firm quitting time are important, but not for the mix, they are important to how I will feel the next day.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

My mixer and monitors are at standing level ...no chair.
Old 16th December 2010
actually, i think my ass has an autonomic shutoff to the musical part of my brain, or maybe it's just habit. i prefer to be on my feet. but i need a balance between the mental and physical myself and it makes it more like a performance i suppose (well it is, if it's done live) and you go in there, get the feel of it and don't get bogged down in over-analyzing it.
then again, i am approaching 40 and when i start popping Ibuprofens like my Dad i am sure that will change...
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Comfort is paramount. You can't have patience and creativity when uncomfortable. Try for some nice used executive office seats. You might have $$$ left over for some gear too.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
My mixer and monitors are at standing level ...no chair.
hahahahahahaha
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I noticed a big improvement from junk chair to a $200 office works chair. Plus I can use it to watch movies in the living room. I read about desk chairs costing over a grand....I'd love to sit my ass in one of those bad boys
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Every chair I ever bought has hurt my back at some point. Ergonomic? Supposedly. Best if you mix A lot to change to different chairs or you will hurt eventually. I even use a trackball mouse so my wrist doesn't wear out at 4:00 am.

Damn deadlines can kill ya. But the off time is cool.

John
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedSignals View Post
actually, i think my ass has an autonomic shutoff to the musical part of my brain, or maybe it's just habit. i prefer to be on my feet. but i need a balance between the mental and physical myself and it makes it more like a performance i suppose (well it is, if it's done live) and you go in there, get the feel of it and don't get bogged down in over-analyzing it.
then again, i am approaching 40 and when i start popping Ibuprofens like my Dad i am sure that will change...
Hahahah!
Hysterical!
Wait till you hit 50 like me

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search