The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should I ditch these sweet in-wall speakers for "studio monitors"?
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Should I ditch these sweet in-wall speakers for "studio monitors"?

Here is my setup - I had a TV here using these built-into-wall speakers that were part of my fathers home-theatre system. I've been using them, they're nice, I guess - I honestly cant really tell a difference, but to be honest, I haven't compared them A/B - just curious if good mix translation tends to come from monitors designed for studio use, or if a speaker is a speaker..

I know one disadvantage to these is that I cant angle or move them, so, given my mixing position, they are a little wider than an equilateral triangle.

Or, option three - get rid of both and get a studio monitor with 8" drivers (or maybe forget about stereo and just get one avantone - mixcube...!!!)
Attached Thumbnails
Should I ditch these sweet in-wall speakers for "studio monitors"?-img_2473.jpg   Should I ditch these sweet in-wall speakers for "studio monitors"?-img_2474.jpg   Should I ditch these sweet in-wall speakers for "studio monitors"?-img_2475.jpg  
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Any suggestions? heh
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

unless you're a dwarf, i'd say they are a little on the low side.
Also unless they were designed to be flush mounted (which some speakers are)
you will not have the correct response from them.
final point is that they are most probably coupling with the wall, which leads to misleading resonances
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear
Adding to what he said....

Home theater type speakers are not built to withstand the abuse that uncompressed signals put on them.

For instance, its very common when mixing to solo the srumd and bass, sometimes quite loud, to get the right bottom end for pop music. The cones seem to jump out of the baskets, if you can see them. A home speaker will not last very long as it is not meant for this use. The drivers themselves usually have stamped metal baskets instead of cast baskets, which are far more rigid to accept studio punishment.

So, if you decide to keep using them or Dad might be in your face after you blow them.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

its go with active monitors, then you'll be able to make them higher and get them at the right angle
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Plus the nice reflection on the left side from the fireplace isn't going to help either.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks everyone, this is just the sort of painful, but helpful reality-check I needed to hear =)

Guess I'll be patching up this wall in a few days.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search