The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Was the sweetwater guy lying to me? Condenser Microphones
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

I haven't used the MA200 with a 610, but I own a 6176 (which has the 610) and it's worked quite well with LDC mics in that market price range. I've actually had good experiences with a RODE NTK into the 610 on male vocals. Helped beef it up a little -- did something nice to an otherwise weak timbre.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac
the UA610 is a very tubey pre, more than most, and sounds best on solid state mics. i've run tube mics through avalon 737 and sounded ok, but through 2-610, not so hot.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroque View Post
...I'm just asking GS if they're used the 610 with the ma200

If you had simply asked that question, I guarantee this would have been a very different thread.

That'd be my recommendation for next time. thumbsup

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Please realize that when doing sales you get an in stock inventory list daily and are told what to push daily. Carry on.
I've worked for 5-6 major retailers and I've never once been given an inventory list and told to push something...
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Lying? These days that is considered a strong word. Being motivated to make a sale...hungry,anxious, motivated-much better words.
I owned a 6176 as one of the previous posters mentioned experience with his, and I liked the 610. BTW I was using an AK47 with it and I thought it sounded cool. You need to try it out with the MA 200. It could be a nice match for you. I would not worry about the tube mic into tube pre scenario as I would agree with others that have said " if it sounds good, then it's good". Good luck. thumbsupthumbsup
Old 17th December 2010
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Light View Post
I don't speak from experience but I've heard a couple people (who know more than I do on the matter) say to avoid using tube mic w/tube pre.

Flame away
flame!

a v72 and a u47 are a nice combo, maybe the exception to the rule I guess?
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

I had a 6176 with a 87ai for about 5 years. I liked it. but last week i sold the 6176 and bought a BAE DMP.. right away i knew that i had been missing out all those years!
the DMP is around 1100.. maybe less. but well worth saving the extra 2 or 300..

that being said, i tracked a friend with the 6176/u87ai combo and he sounded great.. he decided to buy that combo for himself!

all in all i didn't really feel what i was getting was optimal, and after hearing the brent averill pre, it just confirmed it for me. 610 pre is not for me.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
You misunderstood. We were talking about Tube condensers. The MA200 is a tube condenser mic.
Right. I know an MA200 is a tube mic. But there were several comments regarding using the 610 with a ribbon as well. I guess YOU misunderstood THAT!
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict
Sweetwater sound guys have always been professional and given great advice on gear purchases and matching gear. But i the end it is always just their opinion.

You should never buy anything on what someone else says. Get the gear and try it out and see if it's the sound that will complement your style. Now that thats out of the way, I've tried a mojave ma-200 through a adl 600 pre on elec guitar for gospel and it was one of the nicest sounds i've ever heard. Dont believe the hype that tube mics and tube pre's are bad combinations.
Old 24th December 2010
500 series nutjob

sweetwater get a lot of love from me!
i would ( or course ), get into a 500 format system.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've plenty of personal experience with the 610. I think it is a great pre but...... tube equipment requires more tender loving care than solid state equipment. When a piece of tube gear sounds so wonderful it can be like the planets being in perfect alignment. On the other hand a tube pre can start sounding crappy and it can be gradual. Things can get really exciting again when the amp is rejuvenated with GOOD tubes. Having many drawers filled with good tubes, and a fair amount of tweak time is what it takes for me to be happy with the tube gear. Sometimes a piece of tube gear will go and go and never require tube replacement. Sometimes not. If a person is not interested in taking the extra time then he/she should stay away from tubes.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I have been dealing with the same salesperson for years at sweetwater, and I can tell you he has never tried to steer me towards any particular peice of equipment. He has even tried to convince me not to buy certain items I was ready to buy, and offered a cheaper solution on more than one occasion.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search