The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PreAmp purchase... Single-Channel Preamps
Old 15th December 2010
Here for the gear

PreAmp purchase...

I'd like to get some feedback from you guys. Thanks for sharing all the knowledge on here. I love this place.

I really just have a project studio and am using an Avalon M5 pre & a UA Solo 610, both on loan from friends. I'm going to have to give them back & want to buy something of my own. I DI bass a lot & mic guitars & vocals quite a bit as well. Here's my dilemma...

I recently upgraded to PT 8 & bought an 002R in new condition. Would you do the BLA Signature mods or consider upgrading to PT 9 & purchase something like the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56?....

OR... just keep my 002R stock for now & purchase the BAE DMP?
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

This is a strange post, OP. Here's how I read what you are asking:
Quote:
Should I upgrade my 4-channel interface so that I have four really nice sounding channels, or should I buy a single really good channel, or should I upgrade to PT9 and get a new two-channel firewire interface?
Is that essentially what you are saying? How many channels do you need? If one channel, then why have the 002R at all? If you have to have four channels, then the choice is clear. I guess I'm just confused.
Old 15th December 2010
Here for the gear

Haha, i guess that was a little ridiculous....

I rarely have the need for more than 2 channels at a time & more often than not 1 channel will suffice. That may change in the future. Plus I can occasionally borrow stuff from friends if need be. I purchased the 002 because it was relatively cheap, and if I did the BLA mod I'd be about $1800 into it & I would have far superior converters & 4 decent pres. All said & done that is relatively cheap for 4 nice pres & converters. I figured I'd then add a really nice channel to the mix (haha, pun intended) & I'd be in good shape. Plus, I planned on maybe even getting a few more nice, single channels just for more colors down the road.

I mentioned this to a friend last night& he suggested to scratch that idea & put the money into PT9 & the Focusrite Liquid Saffire, which prompted my question as to what would you guys do. I really love the character of the 1073. I also really like the UA Solo 610 (for down the road) for certain things & feel like the Focusrite wont come close those.

Hope that is a little more clear. I just wanted some opinions really. Thanks.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blast View Post
I'd like to get some feedback from you guys. Thanks for sharing all the knowledge on here. I love this place.

I really just have a project studio and am using an Avalon M5 pre & a UA Solo 610, both on loan from friends. I'm going to have to give them back & want to buy something of my own. I DI bass a lot & mic guitars & vocals quite a bit as well. Here's my dilemma...

I recently upgraded to PT 8 & bought an 002R in new condition. Would you do the BLA Signature mods or consider upgrading to PT 9 & purchase something like the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56?....

OR... just keep my 002R stock for now & purchase the BAE DMP?
I wouldn't recommend the BLA mod. Where possible, I think it makes more sense to work around the parts of your interface that aren't cutting it. If the 002 can accept digital inputs, a nice pre with digital out would be the way to go (which, I'm assuming the DMP does).
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blast View Post
I really love the character of the 1073. I also really like the UA Solo 610 (for down the road) for certain things & feel like the Focusrite wont come close those.
If you move away from the Focusrite, you are going to have to buy both a 2-channel converter and a 1-2 channels of mic pre. You can buy nice stereo converter in the $700ish range and, like most things, the more you spend, the better your recordings sound (Lavry Blue is great - $1800ish used for 2-channels).

Going with a 1073ish pre is easy once you define a budget (provided that it is $700+). Without a budget though it becomes tough to guess.

The Focurite seems like a nice "right now" thing that accomplishes most of what you want within your budget. I think it's a good idea.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search