The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic Pro 9 now? -> Logic Pro 10 DAW Software
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

Logic Pro 9 now? -> Logic Pro 10

Hi.

I have an opportunity to get a discount the the current Logic Studio version which includes Logic Pro 9.

But Logic 9 has been out for quit some time?

Is this any chance for an update anytime soon - Namm 11?

Thank you.

Michael.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

In my experience it is best to never install a new version of a software (or a new software) right as it's released. Give them 3-6 months (or more, sometimes) to work out the kinks, release some updates, etc. I installed Logic 9 right when it came out and it was a huge pain in the arse. I haven't been seeing anything about logic 10 in the rumor mill, I wouldn't expect it to come out *too* soon. (assuming there will be a logic 10....) You could always get upgrade pricing too.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

go for it, Logic 10 wont come out for a while.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

Thank you.

How many upgrades has there been on earlier version x.1, x.2, etc...

Considering that Logic is only at 9.1 - could this also be an indication of there will be a lot more updates before the upgrade to Logic Pro 10?
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Go for it, because you can always upgrade to 10 at the discounted price, so you're probably getting yourself a good deal.

Cheers
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

wouldn't worry about LP10 right now, 9 does the job fine
10 will land at some point so 11/12/13
but these won't make your music any better.
get to grips with the DAW it's self before worrying which version you are on
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

I guess you're right.

But if Logic 10 were to be released very soon maybe it would be the worth the wait. But it seems like it's not?
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.C View Post
Considering that Logic is only at 9.1 - could this also be an indication of there will be a lot more updates before the upgrade to Logic Pro 10?
with Logic this has historically not been the case.

Usually they release a new product before actually making the old one work properly (and never do make the old one work properly).
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah, I'd definitely jump on Logic 9 and not worry about 10 at the moment. If they DO release 10 right after you happen to buy 9, Apple usually will give you a free upgrade if you fall into a certain time window. I had that happen when I purchased Logic Pro 7... 8 hit the streets not more than 2 weeks later, and they sent me the whole thing for free.

Besides, Apple hasn't been at NAMM for the last few years and didn't tend to release anything there anyway.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

GET ProTools 9, save yourself NOW from that DAWG of Logic!!! get a MPC to sequence, use LOGIC for the sounds via MIDI-USB. LOGIC Sounds HORRIBLE!!tutt
dfegad LOGIC
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

Sounds reassuring (:

But as I haven't followed the Namm shows before, I thought they announced things a Namm because last year they introduced 64 bit for Logic at Namm?
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

The 64-bit version was released mid-January 2010, about a week before NAMM, actually. But, Apple hasn't had a booth at NAMM for at least the last 3 years, maybe 4. Really bums me out, too... that was one of my favorite spots to hit at the show.

Oh, yeah... @theproduca:

Logic sounds fine... as has been stated on other threads, it's the pilot, not the plane... I use both PT9 and Logic9 on a regular basis, and notice ZERO difference in sound quality between the two on my system...
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhenge View Post
The 64-bit version was released mid-January 2010, about a week before NAMM, actually. But, Apple hasn't had a booth at NAMM for at least the last 3 years, maybe 4. Really bums me out, too... that was one of my favorite spots to hit at the show.

Oh, yeah... @theproduca:

Logic sounds fine... as has been stated on other threads, it's the pilot, not the plane... I use both PT9 and Logic9 on a regular basis, and notice ZERO difference in sound quality between the two on my system...
Really?!!! It sounds MUDDY. AND whats up with all the plugs on the sounds. take one away, it sounds drabbyby!! The output algorhythm written for Logic is NOT the same as PROTOOLS, Hence the MUDDY sound. No definition in the bass region, AUDIO editing is a PAIN IN THE YaaaMeeen. I use to use Notator with Atari.....yep. It was a better sequencer then. IMO, which doesn't count.....you're better off with GarageBland!!! Erykah Badu used it.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Lunatic fringe aside...

Go for it. Even if it were out today, I'd wait a few months before getting Logic 10... let the hardcore set that always have to learn everything the hard way experience the bugs.

Learning from your mistakes is good. Learning from others' mistakes is better.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproduca View Post
Really?!!! It sounds MUDDY. AND whats up with all the plugs on the sounds. take one away, it sounds drabbyby!! The output algorhythm written for Logic is NOT the same as PROTOOLS, Hence the MUDDY sound. No definition in the bass region, AUDIO editing is a PAIN IN THE YaaaMeeen. I use to use Notator with Atari.....yep. It was a better sequencer then. IMO, which doesn't count.....you're better off with GarageBland!!! Erykah Badu used it.
Logic doesn't sound like anything. Maybe it's what you're putting into it?

And I'll take Apogee's UV22 dithering over Avid's stuff any day.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jMik View Post

Amen, brother!

I noticed he mentioned using "sounds" and removing plug-ins... reads to me like he's using library presets with software instruments, as opposed to audio tracks. I NEVER use presets, personally... I'd rather dial it in from scratch. Doing a ground-up mix in Pro Tools vs. a ground-up mix in Logic using the same source tracks, I find there to be absolutely ZERO difference in sound quality. (Been there, done the null test many times to prove it...) But, I never go over 0dB when I bounce in Logic and never use the bounce normalize, either. Those settings can sometimes yield strange results.

However, this isn't a PT vs. Logic thread... there are plenty of those already!
Old 15th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 View Post
In my experience it is best to never install a new version of a software (or a new software) right as it's released.
Exactly, I'm still using Logic 8 and for the added benefits of 9, I doubt I'll upgrade at all. Logic 10 won't be high on my priority list until they've worked out every problem that will either stress me out or have a negative effect on my workflow.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Amen, brother!

I noticed he mentioned using "sounds" and removing plug-ins... reads to me like he's using library presets with software instruments, as opposed to audio tracks. I NEVER use presets, personally... I'd rather dial it in from scratch. Doing a ground-up mix in Pro Tools vs. a ground-up mix in Logic using the same source tracks, I find there to be absolutely ZERO difference in sound quality. (Been there, done the null test many times to prove it...) But, I never go over 0dB when I bounce in Logic and never use the bounce normalize, either. Those settings can sometimes yield strange results.

I think a lot of people make the mistake of treating Logic like Pro Tools first go around. Especially with the presets like you mentioned, e.g. loading a patch with 4 things already inserted on it. Logic is just a different animal; nothing wrong with that.

And yeah, already too many threads about this garbage. I bet OP didn't think his post would start a flamewar
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlen View Post
Exactly, I'm still using Logic 8 and for the added benefits of 9, I doubt I'll upgrade at all. Logic 10 won't be high on my priority list until they've worked out every problem that will either stress me out or have a negative effect on my workflow.
Unfortunately I hopped on the Logic train with 9, so I'm patiently waiting for them to work out all the bugs
Old 15th December 2010
Quote:
Unfortunately I hopped on the Logic train with 9, so I'm patiently waiting for them to work out all the bugs
The big new features are Flex Time and Amp Simulations. I can't see myself using Flex Time all that often and I have PodFarm. Pointless for me heh
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
GET ProTools 9, save yourself NOW from that DAWG of Logic!!! get a MPC to sequence, use LOGIC for the sounds via MIDI-USB. LOGIC Sounds HORRIBLE!!tutt
dfegad LOGIC
If Logic sounds horrible then why would you use it sounds!!!
That makes no sense! The sound engine is the same wether using instruments or recording or playing back audio. I agree that Logic and Protools sound a little different but that statement is just stupid!!!
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I am on 9 and like the features but totally agree with this sentiment. Each upgrade brings nice new features but generally, what you really use in the program is the same.

Also consider what type of computer you have. I would bet that Logic 10 will be Intel only. Logic 9 does run on PPC.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have a PSX100SE for dithering. It doesn't sound as good as PT anything on the output, after importing, or anything else. I have preemo AD converters. Been doing this for a while. It sounds like crap!!! PT9!!
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Amen, brother!

That's what I'm talking about. No the audio, wouldn't record audio in Logic anyway. Had a friend bring over a song done with SOFTWARE instruments, we converted eveything via AIFF bounce, then imported the files to PT9, sounded horrible. I'm sure If you're using it as your PRIMARY DAW, then it is what it is. Just don't like the editing windows and workarounds. Not easy to use as opposed to PT. IMO.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
If Logic sounds horrible then why would you use it sounds!!!
That makes no sense! The sound engine is the same wether using instruments or recording or playing back audio. I agree that Logic and Protools sound a little different but that statement is just stupid!!!
STUPID. hmmmmm OK. I'm stupid. I DON'T use the sounds.....it was a suggestion. I use SOUND MODULES......Don't like plugin anything except Autotune and GAIN in Audiosuite. I'm from the ole school, natural as possible. I don't ITB mix, everything comes out to my hardware. STUPID...hmmmmm Ignorant maybe. Selling tracks and making MUNI.......ohh yeah. I'm stupid.

See you at the Grammy's? Will you even have a invite? BTW, this is what you said AGAIN:

The sound engine is the same wether using instruments or recording or playing back audio. I agree that Logic and Protools sound a little different.
Old 15th December 2010
Quote:
You need help.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's what I'm talking about. No the audio, wouldn't record audio in Logic anyway. Had a friend bring over a song done with SOFTWARE instruments, we converted eveything via AIFF bounce, then imported the files to PT9, sounded horrible. I'm sure If you're using it as your PRIMARY DAW, then it is what it is. Just don't like the editing windows and workarounds. Not easy to use as opposed to PT. IMO.
Sounds like the bounce settings were not set correctly if this is happening. I've bounced plenty of VI's in Logic and the bounces are always accurate. If you hit over 0dB on the master in a bounce, it WILL sound jacked.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The big new features are Flex Time and Amp Simulations. I can't see myself using Flex Time all that often and I have PodFarm. Pointless for me heh
Flex Time takes some time to get used to but it's a big time saver if you do a lot of audio editing (but you can do it all in 8 with more effort). But I admit the 7>8 update was a bigger one than from 8>9.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds like the bounce settings were not set correctly if this is happening. I've bounced plenty of VI's in Logic and the bounces are always accurate. If you hit over 0dB on the master in a bounce, it WILL sound jacked.
OK, I only have this for clients. As well as digital Performer. I used it at home to put down ideas...never to track for production. The bounce came on a CD, So I decided to do my own bounce. I adjusted all levels for clipping. Sounds BAD. Simple. But hey, I'm stupid why listen to me??
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post
Flex Time takes some time to get used to but it's a big time saver if you do a lot of audio editing (but you can do it all in 8 with more effort). But I admit the 7>8 update was a bigger one than from 8>9.
But what happened to just ole fashion recording, like back in the day? Are the talents just so average now, or are we just attempting to be sooo perfect. I heard Sheryl Crow got a deal with a 4 track. The BEATLES recorded on a..........4 track, with spicing. We need to start wanting the talent to be what they are, and if the take isn't acceptable....DO IT OVER. No FLEX, NO Soundreplacer......the industry just keep taking money outta our pockets. Just SING and PLAY!!!! That's how I do it here. AUTOTUNE for EFFECT ONLY. OLESCHOOL Baby. LOL.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search