The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic Pro 9 now? -> Logic Pro 10 DAW Software
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproduca View Post
OK, I only have this for clients. As well as digital Performer. I used it at home to put down ideas...never to track for production. The bounce came on a CD, So I decided to do my own bounce. I adjusted all levels for clipping. Sounds BAD. Simple. But hey, I'm stupid why listen to me??
For the record, I never called you stupid. Never even inferred it. tutt

Does the bounce sound the same as the VI playing back in Logic, or is it drastically different? Obviously, if the playback in Logic sounds "muddy", the bounce is going to as well... If the bounce is not accurate to what is heard playing back inside Logic, then something is definitely whacked out somewhere, wether it be the gain staging (a common issue for people who expect Logic to behave like PT) or bounce settings. What VI plug-in? Plug-ins on the channel? Plug-ins on the master buss? Using dither? 24 bit aiff? Normalize off? Not hitting over 0dB post-master? Realtime or offline bounce? Lots of possibilities there that could be the problem.

I'm glad you prefer PT. I use PT, Logic, and DP on a daily basis... each one has its strengths and its weaknesses. I am equally comfortable doing anything in any of them, and would happily track anything in any of them. But they ARE different animals, each with their own quirks...

But, again, the OP had specific Logic questions...
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
STUPID. hmmmmm OK. I'm stupid. I DON'T use the sounds.....it was a suggestion. I use SOUND MODULES......Don't like plugin anything except Autotune and GAIN in Audiosuite. I'm from the ole school, natural as possible. I don't ITB mix, everything comes out to my hardware. STUPID...hmmmmm Ignorant maybe. Selling tracks and making MUNI.......ohh yeah. I'm stupid.

See you at the Grammy's? Will you even have a invite? BTW, this is what you said AGAIN:

The sound engine is the same wether using instruments or recording or playing back audio. I agree that Logic and Protools sound a little different.
Just

Just to be clear I was not calling you stupid. I would not do that I do not know you. Also based on some of your other post we agree about alot. I too believe in getting the take right not editing it right. It's just that you suggested logic sounds like crap but also suggested using it as a sound module!
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Theproduca
Jeez WTF !
So Ill informed..... logic sounds awful/naff/rubbish
It's this kind of BS that really gets on my tits around here
You have nothing to back this nonsense up with ...... Nothing!
If you can't get a result out of logic that's down to your lack of skill ........ period !!
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
Theproduca
Jeez WTF !
So Ill informed..... logic sounds awful/naff/rubbish
It's this kind of BS that really gets on my tits around here
You have nothing to back this nonsense up with ...... Nothing!
If you can't get a result out of logic that's down to your lack of skill ........ period !!
I'm sorry I assaulted the DAW..... Look, I decided to get Logic when I picked up my MACBOOK PRO to do stuff in the den while away from the studio. People here (philly) that USED it BEFORE I did, came to me because they KNOW, when I dig in...I dig in. Tutorials, UBOOB, Gearslutz and the like. I research to the fullest just like when purchasing gear. Had friends who grew up on GARAGEBAND trying to convince me that moving to Logic would be the answer. Yet, one trip to the studio and they find the flaws, just as I did. Simplistic...NO, Support..maybe, but AVIDs not far behind. Go to the Logic Forum and see for yourself. I didn't NEED AVID/Digidesign support to figure PT out...I was simple, cut and dry, and still learning NEW things from clients, not being bogged down with problem from Logic. Rub dem titaays and calm down. I really like APPLE, since my FIRST Apple IIci...YES. But software is NOT the game for them. Using Notator on Atari was easy...when Emagic had it, as well as Logic. Apple took it and made GBand from it...then made a MESS of it. IMO....titties rubbed and all.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sorry I assaulted the DAW..... Look, I decided to get Logic when I picked up my MACBOOK PRO to do stuff in the den while away from the studio. People here (philly) that USED it BEFORE I did, came to me because they KNOW, when I dig in...I dig in. Tutorials, UBOOB, Gearslutz and the like. I research to the fullest just like when purchasing gear. Had friends who grew up on GARAGEBAND trying to convince me that moving to Logic would be the answer. Yet, one trip to the studio and they find the flaws, just as I did. Simplistic...NO, Support..maybe, but AVIDs not far behind. Go to the Logic Forum and see for yourself. I didn't NEED AVID/Digidesign support to figure PT out...I was simple, cut and dry, and still learning NEW things from clients, not being bogged down with problem from Logic. Rub dem titaays and calm down. I really like APPLE, since my FIRST Apple IIci...YES. But software is NOT the game for them. Using Notator on Atari was easy...when Emagic had it, as well as Logic. Apple took it and made GBand from it...then made a MESS of it. IMO....titties rubbed and all.
well what can i say with that blinding response !!!
backed up with science and fact
A/B comparisons
you have your thing going on ... great! your work flow works for you
but hey guess what... we have our work flow /groove thang going on as well
just accept the fact that ppl can hack it in any DAW /LP9/FL/reaper/PT9/cubase ,they all have flaws give me 2 months on any DAW and i'll get a result
it's the magician not the wand !!
Old 16th December 2010
Harmless Wacko

Logic 9 is a largely functional production tool.

Just like ProTools 9 is. LARGELY functional.

I have good reason to suspect Logic 10 is still a long way off.

I use Logic 9 side by side with ProTools 9 every single day and I don't hear ANY "sonic integrity" difference in the DAW's. Something which is much easier to ascertain these days, as the same hardware can be used by either.

You still have to make sure you're DOING THE SAME WORK in the 2 platforms, which isn't AUTOMATICALLY true just by booting them up.

Pan Laws would be one example of potentially "hidden" result disparities, that have already been mentioned in this thread.

In my estimation, there are still enough differences in practical and logistical capabilities between these 2 DAW's to CELEBRATE and EMBRACE the use of both during record making at my place.

It's about reaching for the right screwdriver for the task at hand.

We have found, you're certainly better off if you have BOTH... At least for what WE do here, which is largely ground-up "tracking thru mix" for rock records.

Best regards,

SM.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
well what can i say with that blinding response !!!
backed up with science and fact
A/B comparisons
you have your thing going on ... great! your work flow works for you
but hey guess what... we have our work flow /groove thang going on as well
just accept the fact that ppl can hack it in any DAW /LP9/FL/reaper/PT9/cubase ,they all have flaws give me 2 months on any DAW and i'll get a result
it's the magician not the wand !!
True, I'm just finding this entertaining..no harm no foul, but you said TiTTAAAAYYYs (In My Dave Chappelle voice), so I couldn't help it. What's REAPER!! I'm sure the info about "ALBUM DAW" used, on the back of BILLBOARD says, produced in Reaper, I mean Logic, I mean Cubase....uhhhhh. NOOOOO!!! I did the comparison myself...since I have PT9 on the laptop, I can do it while I'm typing this. Import some PT files into Logic to finish the album.??

Like recording in 24/96K for a CD, you'll be back to 16/44K. The end result usually is.....PROTOOLS...to a SSL/API/NEVE/ISA in someones studio. Not ITB. I watched some of Jamie Foxx's CD being mixed....ITB using ProTools, to the Console. Next you'll be telling me that a MAJOR album was produced in LOGIK/Reaper/Cubase/Otari? uhhhh NOOOOO!!! Just save your money and plugins and do it BUTT NAKED, like back in the day. That's another reason...did I say "REASON", why music is to **** today. Too much crap/ins. Just sell your song on iTunes, via ubuub and ur good to go...no matter what DAW you use.....FRUTTI LOOPS. Oh but isn't that Apples aim...to RULE the music world?? no fun intended. Raj heh
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
Logic 9 is a largely functional production tool.

Just like ProTools 9 is. LARGELY functional.

I have good reason to suspect Logic 10 is still a long way off.

I use Logic 9 side by side with ProTools 9 every single day and I don't hear ANY "sonic integrity" difference in the DAW's. Something which is much easier to ascertain these days, as the same hardware can be used by either.

You still have to make sure you're DOING THE SAME WORK in the 2 platforms, which isn't AUTOMATICALLY true just by booting them up.

Pan Laws would be one example of potentially "hidden" result disparities, that have already been mentioned in this thread.

In my estimation, there are still enough differences in practical and logistical capabilities between these 2 DAW's to CELEBRATE and EMBRACE the use of both during record making at my place.

It's about reaching for the right screwdriver for the task at hand.

We have found, you're certainly better off if you have BOTH... At least for what WE do here, which is largely ground-up "tracking thru mix" for rock records.

Best regards,

SM.
Agree to agree with functionality and use. But I need to ask you where you end up when it's all said and done? The end result, the end game......? There is a difference in the output..I guarantee you. I used the same laptop or computer at the same time for the comparison. The lowend lacked definition in Logic..it was all over the place. Now remember, I'm referring to the Software Instruments, which if it wasn't for that feature....I wouldn't use it period. Didn't want to bring my MPC home when I needed to produce/sketch tracks. Remembering also I'm talking about R&B, NeoSoul, and HIPHOP.heh

When it comes to recording JUST audio...I recorded a bassline, and guitar through a M-Audio 1/8in" headphone jack for comparison. Protools files sounded full and bass a little tighter. The guitar was overbearing in Logic. Sounded EQed in PT9. Look here...Let's do this....NO, let a PRO's PRO do the comparison. Single file..vocals, guitar what ever. No eq, BUTTNAKED. Post the file/s and DON"T name em. NO A/D converters, as straight as possible. Use a simple input. That will settle that??
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
GET ProTools 9, save yourself NOW from that DAWG of Logic!!! get a MPC to sequence, use LOGIC for the sounds via MIDI-USB. LOGIC Sounds HORRIBLE!!tutt
dfegad LOGIC
You're telling the original poster to get an MPC and Pro Tools 9. Did they identify themselves as being in need of a sequencer? If I missed this then I apologize. I just don't see it anywhere in their posts.

Logic sounds fine to my ears. I've never heard a difference between audio programs, just hardware.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
You're telling the original poster to get an MPC and Pro Tools 9. Did they identify themselves as being in need of a sequencer? If I missed this then I apologize. I just don't see it anywhere in their posts.

Logic sounds fine to my ears. I've never heard a difference between audio programs, just hardware.
No he didn't. As I mentioned before....jesting my friend. My approach to the response was to say, if he's gonna use the software instruments, (which involves sequencing at times) then get a MPC. My info was about using Logic as a DAW, instruments or not, It will NEVER stand up to proTools sound wise, in my opinion. There's the challenge, take it a see what ya get for Logic.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
No he didn't. As I mentioned before....jesting my friend. My approach to the response was to say, if he's gonna use the software instruments, (which involves sequencing at times) then get a MPC. My info was about using Logic as a DAW, instruments or not, It will NEVER stand up to proTools sound wise, in my opinion. There's the challenge, take it a see what ya get for Logic.
I guess my question is. How much of a difference are we talking about here. Are you saying that Protools has a professional sound and Logic does not, or that Protools is simply better than Logic? If you mean the former than I might have to disagree with you. I have been waiting to have someone prove this as I do hear a slight sound to Logic and Protools. However there is more difference in monitors, plug in/hardware outboard and converter choice than Daws for me. I would love to upgrade to protools 9 for mixing if someone can show me it is worth 600.00 dollars and the loss of raw CPU power i will experience from Logic! I always put sound quailty first! The problem with this argument is that many records today are starting life in Logic( Sequencing tracking etc.). They are often then exported into protools for mixing. The thing is if Logic sounds like **** then so should every record that started life in it! There is a possibility that Protools 9 sounds better than Logic 9! I would love to know for sure. But it is not because Logic sounds like SH*T, it would be because protools is just better by some margin. Otherwise no one would make records using Logic that my friend is Logical.

By the way a year ago I was all hardware modules. I have since gone Virtual instruments and it can sound very good. It becomes a case of the approach and not the tools! I too was sure that my MPC and Modules could not be replaced by the new stuff and you know what they cannot. That does not mean the new stuff does not stand on there own merit. In fact virtual stuff and modules sound great together!

JAzztone
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Everyone comes back at me with exactly what I'm saying..Logic is cool for flying to L.A.,polishing up some stuff for me to finish a well known artist album....it's convenient for sure. Yes my ideas START in Logic when I have an idea 3am and got my setup in the den. Then I take that...go to the studio and redo it on my MPC and Modules.......Motif, XV5050, FantomS, EMU MoPhatt, Pro2000, Trinity Rack and LIVE Fender Rhodes. Add some Bass, and guitar...WAALAAA...Hit song/track ready to sell.

People have admitted, that they weren't sure, BTW I didn't say it sounded like **** did I? OOOPs....I meant MUDDY. Needed to do a remake of "Imagine" last night. for a client....went to the den, opened up LOGIC, laid down the chord progression and lead line. SHUT it DOWN, and finished today in the studio with you know what. Not forced to use stereo tracks for piano lines, bass or drums. No need to pan L,R to separate for mixing and removing 5 thousand plugs on a piano sound. Which BTW, when you remove the plugs....it sounds like a TX81Z yamaha module.....LOL People like it because you can run 1 million tracks on it, like DP and MAS to save CPU power.heh

Let Apple do what they DO! Make me iPhones, iPADS and POWERHAUS Desktops/laptops. Leave the recording software to the PRO's AVID and PT>
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Talk about derailing a thread! Geez...

So, let me get this straight... you're bitching only about Logic's built-in software instruments, and you're basing the entire program's sound quality off presets from the sound library? Man, talk about missing the boat bigtime...

That's almost like saying a movie sucks because you hate the font they used for the titles! Or, maybe, to be more traditional, throwing the baby out with the bathwater...

I've done truly old-school traditional blues records completely ITB in Logic (all live instruments... no sequenced bull****, no autotune, no fancy editing...) and I CONSTANTLY have other engineers asking me what tape machine, outboard, and console I used for the mix. heh If those guys (who are major critics and amazingly capable engineers themselves) are convinced it was cut on analog, it must sound pretty damn good... Imagine the shock when I told them it was all ITB in Logic! (Actually, it made several of them go out and put together Logic systems of their own!) Those albums are sitting on shelves across the USA, by the way...

The point is, I can make great-sounding records totally ITB, hybrid, or completely analog and have done so for many years. A great craftsman can still do amazing things with even marginal tools, when necessary...

Slipperman said it best, though. He deserves much respect...
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Everyone comes back at me with exactly what I'm saying..Logic is cool for flying to L.A.,polishing up some stuff for me to finish a well known artist album....it's convenient for sure. Yes my ideas START in Logic when I have an idea 3am and got my setup in the den. Then I take that...go to the studio and redo it on my MPC and Modules.......Motif, XV5050, FantomS, EMU MoPhatt, Pro2000, Trinity Rack and LIVE Fender Rhodes. Add some Bass, and guitar...WAALAAA...Hit song/track ready to sell.

People have admitted, that they weren't sure, BTW I didn't say it sounded like **** did I? OOOPs....I meant MUDDY. Needed to do a remake of "Imagine" last night. for a client....went to the den, opened up LOGIC, laid down the chord progression and lead line. SHUT it DOWN, and finished today in the studio with you know what. Not forced to use stereo tracks for piano lines, bass or drums. No need to pan L,R to separate for mixing and removing 5 thousand plugs on a piano sound. Which BTW, when you remove the plugs....it sounds like a TX81Z yamaha module.....LOL People like it because you can run 1 million tracks on it, like DP and MAS to save CPU power.heh

Let Apple do what they DO! Make me iPhones, iPADS and POWERHAUS Desktops/laptops. Leave the recording software to the PRO's AVID and PT>
SO on some things here we again agree and disagree! For instance most of the things you mentioned in the second paragraph are more workflow related than sound quality related. I will agree there are many workflow things in logic that could be improved. The metering sucks in Logic plain and simple. a good meter gives you alot of information quickly without thinking about it!
However none of those things speak to what the program is capable of producing. Also you are 100% right about the Logic stock sound library. Without processing the sound are a muddy sonic mess. However they can be processed to sound quite good just like modules. If you remove all the processing on the raw samples in your hardware romplers they will sound muddy too! My point is it can be made to sound very good when set up! Also I find with all DAWS protools included most of the 3rd party high end instruments are much better than the stock stuff! I still love modules and keyboards for pianos like you but strings on the new libraries are incredible! As are drums Synths Pads and other things like percussion.

You know man the most amazing thing about music is that some guy seemingly comes out of nowhere every now and then and makes some amazing hit record. That guy uses everything that is considered sub par and makes it work! By the way man alot of stuff is being made in Logic.Fl and Reason these days. ON the radio everyday. I will agree though that 99% of them will be mixed in protools! Is that because it is best or most used for mixing? Is a NEVE better than a SSL? IS TIMBALAND on 2" and NEVE VR better or Protools and SSL better? OR are they just different Pro level experiences? Or are we saying that unless you use MPC, Modules and Protools it won't sound right?

I forgot, I know enough people at NARAS too go to the GRAMMY's any year. That doesn't mean anything though! Let's keep it chill and keep the putting your balls on the table to compare to a minimum!

Jazztone
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
I forgot, I know enough people at NARAS too go to the GRAMMY's any year. That doesn't mean anything though! Let's keep it chill and keep the putting your balls on the table to compare to a minimum!
Ditto that... was thinking it, but I'm glad you said it.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhenge View Post
Ditto that... was thinking it, but I'm glad you said it.
Balls are off...LOL. NARAS is cool, SAG is cool too, some ole Oscar balls...
I wonder if anyone would do a comparison, an ole fashion gunslingga? Can't seem to get that done huh. I would do it BUT because I would bias the test and..... Has there ever been a shootout for DAW quality? People are so afraid to find the DAW/Preamp/Mic/etc they're ussing is inferior, hence the waste of money, now time to buy/trade again. All the mind bending nonsense about plugins.... IF Jordan tell you Nikes helped him dunk, and you really want to dunk...you'll dunk. Shoes aside. Your mind determines what you like, even when you KNOW it's not a good thing. I'm convinced, because" MR BIG SHOT SAYS SO" this plugin sounds like a 1066. ..duuuuh...OK. and how much does he get to endorse that product. Once you by it, you can't return it..you're stuck and the money is in the bank. Now you HAVE to convince yourself it sounds good...DAMM I spent 3G on these plugs!!

LOGIC does NOT sound like TAPE. Your converters or aparatiiii helped I'm sure. Logic sounds like garage band. Thats that. I guess you can use Garage Band to record the next HIT!! Stop It!!! Mannnnnnnnnn!!!

Stop saying workflow. It's the sound. I insist on a shootout/blind shootout. Minimum processing. A lot of FL/Reason Stuff is on the radio.....I KNOW. A good, or BAD song is easy to play nowadays. Exposure on uBuuB and you're on Letterman/Leno. the world is going to crap when it comes to music, and until people start making real music again, using real creative minds....not plugins, vocal pitch correction, beat detective, pumpaflective, then it will be what it is. A GIANT SNYTHESIZER, which is why WE keep buying stuff to do the next best. Thats why people cheat on people, they think they gonna get better. When the girl you married, who's gotten a bit FATTER, is STILL he good woman who married your cheating ass. In the meantime, you go for the stripper who's taking your money and playing for me, a REAL G. STOP cheating, Keep the good woman....keep PT9!
heh
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Talk about derailing a thread! Geez...

So, let me get this straight... you're bitching only about Logic's built-in software instruments, and you're basing the entire program's sound quality off presets from the sound library? Man, talk about missing the boat bigtime...

That's almost like saying a movie sucks because you hate the font they used for the titles! Or, maybe, to be more traditional, throwing the baby out with the bathwater...

I've done truly old-school traditional blues records completely ITB in Logic (all live instruments... no sequenced bull****, no autotune, no fancy editing...) and I CONSTANTLY have other engineers asking me what tape machine, outboard, and console I used for the mix. heh If those guys (who are major critics and amazingly capable engineers themselves) are convinced it was cut on analog, it must sound pretty damn good... Imagine the shock when I told them it was all ITB in Logic! (Actually, it made several of them go out and put together Logic systems of their own!) Those albums are sitting on shelves across the USA, by the way...

The point is, I can make great-sounding records totally ITB, hybrid, or completely analog and have done so for many years. A great craftsman can still do amazing things with even marginal tools, when necessary...

Slipperman said it best, though. He deserves much respect...
Bitchin? So YOU'RE saying MAJOR CRITICS and AMAZING CAPABLE ENGINEERS didn't KNOW you were using LOGIC? OK, I'm convinced....................................................THAT YOU ALL WERE DRINKING BOOZE down der!!!! Logic sounds like Garage Band!! Put down the corn, drink some Blanc, and use them Tools....PT9. Tastes better, sounds better, but not like tape, 2" tape.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
SO on some things here we again agree and disagree! For instance most of the things you mentioned in the second paragraph are more workflow related than sound quality related. I will agree there are many workflow things in logic that could be improved. The metering sucks in Logic plain and simple. a good meter gives you alot of information quickly without thinking about it!
However none of those things speak to what the program is capable of producing. Also you are 100% right about the Logic stock sound library. Without processing the sound are a muddy sonic mess. However they can be processed to sound quite good just like modules. If you remove all the processing on the raw samples in your hardware romplers they will sound muddy too! My point is it can be made to sound very good when set up! Also I find with all DAWS protools included most of the 3rd party high end instruments are much better than the stock stuff! I still love modules and keyboards for pianos like you but strings on the new libraries are incredible! As are drums Synths Pads and other things like percussion.

You know man the most amazing thing about music is that some guy seemingly comes out of nowhere every now and then and makes some amazing hit record. That guy uses everything that is considered sub par and makes it work! By the way man alot of stuff is being made in Logic.Fl and Reason these days. ON the radio everyday. I will agree though that 99% of them will be mixed in protools! Is that because it is best or most used for mixing? Is a NEVE better than a SSL? IS TIMBALAND on 2" and NEVE VR better or Protools and SSL better? OR are they just different Pro level experiences? Or are we saying that unless you use MPC, Modules and Protools it won't sound right?

Jazztone
Jazztone, I feel you on the sample libraries.....gotta get that for sure. STRINGs and BASSES are beasts.! Don't know about SSL' NEVE's or 2". But you didn't mention Garage Band....ooops, I mean Logic 8,9,10? Tim's mixing on an Open Labs nowadays......LOL. No...... MPC/Modules and Apogee is MY thing, that's how I do, but it gets triggered and recorded by......PT9 ONLY.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Jazztone, I feel you on the sample libraries.....gotta get that for sure. STRINGs and BASSES are beasts.! Don't know about SSL' NEVE's or 2". But you didn't mention Garage Band....ooops, I mean Logic 8,9,10? Tim's mixing on an Open Labs nowadays......LOL. No...... MPC/Modules and Apogee is MY thing, that's how I do, but it gets triggered and recorded by......PT9 ONLY.
You're all being trolled by a 12 year old.

To the OP: Logic sounds fantastic, get it now.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperx View Post
You're all being trolled by a 12 year old.

To the OP: Logic sounds fantastic, get it now.
Hilarious!!!!! You're brainwashed....logic luver!!! Garageband sounds great!!! Ohhh you work at the apple store I recognize the name....
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

Listen, regardless of whether you use PT or Logic or whatever else, all I know is I made a badass cheesecake this afternoon and it tastes better than any of those programs.

Here's all the individual tracks before processing. Stripped down, it's really no different than producing each one from scratch. Just takes time and patience.

Once all the parts were hammered out, the mix really came together. It's like everything had it's own perfect niche.

The bass sounded a little EGGY so I cut back on it a little, knowing full well that after mastering it would turn out great, despite what I was hearing.

After that I hit it with some parallel compression. I know it's hard to see in the photo, but underneath is the original uncompressed track:

It really started to blend well once I mixed in that compressed signal.

Here it is while it's dithering. I know some people believe that 88.2 translates better to 44.1 (something about algorithms) but I say F THAT. 96/24 all the way baby.

Here's the final mix. I ran into a few rough spots, but a competent mastering engineer will be able to smooth those out no problem. I tend to like some of the inconsistencies of human performance coming through on my product. Besides, my time and budget don't allow me to do everything over, do they?

Mastering was a piece of cheesecake. Those rough spots I was worried about didn't even matter, and nobody sure as **** can hear the difference.

So tell me this:

Did I use a gas oven or an electric oven?

Do you care?
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jMik View Post
Listen, regardless of whether you use PT or Logic or whatever else, all I know is I made a badass cheesecake this afternoon and it tastes better than any of those programs.

Here's all the individual tracks before processing. Stripped down, it's really no different than producing each one from scratch. Just takes time and patience.

Once all the parts were hammered out, the mix really came together. It's like everything had it's own perfect niche.

The bass sounded a little EGGY so I cut back on it a little, knowing full well that after mastering it would turn out great, despite what I was hearing.

After that I hit it with some parallel compression. I know it's hard to see in the photo, but underneath is the original uncompressed track:

Here it is while it's dithering. I know some people believe that 88.2 translates better to 44.1 (something about algorithms) but I say F THAT. 96/24 all the way baby.

Here's the final mix. I ran into a few rough spots, but a competent mastering engineer will be able to smooth those out no problem. I tend to like some of the inconsistencies of human performance coming through on my product. Besides, my time and budget don't allow me to do everything over, do they?

Mastering was a piece of cheesecake. Those rough spots I was worried about didn't even matter, and nobody sure as **** can hear the difference.

So tell me this:

Do you care?
Haha...heh Made me laugh.

Good point.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

Thank you for all of your responses, and making my choices a bit easier

And merry christmas to all of you.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

So tell me this:

Do you care?
You used GAS. the top is a bit slanted, which shows me you applies tooo much heat to start the process, and the topping seemed to have reacted to the heat, which is why the icing is crocked and NOT straight as you intended. I sense gas was used, because it looks like a FART cake, and I won't eat it, won't touch it with 10 ft Pro Tools pole. Looks like a cake for logic luvas.......eat away.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Balls are off...LOL. NARAS is cool, SAG is cool too, some ole Oscar balls...
I wonder if anyone would do a comparison, an ole fashion gunslingga? Can't seem to get that done huh. I would do it BUT because I would bias the test and..... Has there ever been a shootout for DAW quality? People are so afraid to find the DAW/Preamp/Mic/etc they're ussing is inferior, hence the waste of money, now time to buy/trade again. All the mind bending nonsense about plugins.... IF Jordan tell you Nikes helped him dunk, and you really want to dunk...you'll dunk. Shoes aside. Your mind determines what you like, even when you KNOW it's not a good thing. I'm convinced, because" MR BIG SHOT SAYS SO" this plugin sounds like a 1066. ..duuuuh...OK. and how much does he get to endorse that product. Once you by it, you can't return it..you're stuck and the money is in the bank. Now you HAVE to convince yourself it sounds good...DAMM I spent 3G on these plugs!!

LOGIC does NOT sound like TAPE. Your converters or aparatiiii helped I'm sure. Logic sounds like garage band. Thats that. I guess you can use Garage Band to record the next HIT!! Stop It!!! Mannnnnnnnnn!!!

Stop saying workflow. It's the sound. I insist on a shootout/blind shootout. Minimum processing. A lot of FL/Reason Stuff is on the radio.....I KNOW. A good, or BAD song is easy to play nowadays. Exposure on uBuuB and you're on Letterman/Leno. the world is going to crap when it comes to music, and until people start making real music again, using real creative minds....not plugins, vocal pitch correction, beat detective, pumpaflective, then it will be what it is. A GIANT SNYTHESIZER, which is why WE keep buying stuff to do the next best. Thats why people cheat on people, they think they gonna get better. When the girl you married, who's gotten a bit FATTER, is STILL he good woman who married your cheating ass. In the meantime, you go for the stripper who's taking your money and playing for me, a REAL G. STOP cheating, Keep the good woman....keep PT9!
heh

I'm only going to address a few points in this gibberish...

I never said "Logic sounds like tape"... but my mixes in Logic can... or not, depending on what I'm after. (Same with PT, same with DP, same with Garageband, for that matter!) The right mics, the right pre's, great conversion and clocking, a fantastic room, and most important of all... using my friggin' EARS to get the results I'm after. And record top-notch musicians! Playing REAL instruments! The DAW I use is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT when it comes to the end product. If you've been at it for a while and you're a pro, I'd have thought you'd have realized that by now.

You might want to re-read my posts... nowhere in ANY of them did I mention "workflow" or being dependent on plug-ins. My "workflow" consists of nothing more or less than doing what a client's music requires. Plain and simple! If they want to track to my 2" analog deck, it's always ready to go. If they want to do an edgy modern-rock album with all the latest bells and whistles, it's no problem. If they want to track on location at a smoky club, I'm more than happy to accommodate them. They generally don't give a **** what I use, as long as the end product sounds good...
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

So tell me this:

Do you care?
Awesome! Looks good to me! You could have used an easy-bake oven for all I care!
Old 16th December 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Are the talents just so average nowLOL.
YES

What we have now are:
1. Singers that cant hold pitch to save their life
2. Drummers with no rhythm/groove ability(See this ALL THE TIME)
3. Guitar players who cant hold rhythm and just dont play well
4. Bass players who cant groove and hit bad notes
5. Keyboard players who cant comp, play all over everyones parts(Left hand stupidness)

So the tools now are being used primarily to make those without talent appear as though they have some. On a brighter note, its nice to be able to FIX one part of a perfect performance that has a small flaw in it
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm only going to address a few points in this gibberish...

I never said "Logic sounds like tape"... but my mixes in Logic can... or not, depending on what I'm after. (Same with PT, same with DP, same with Garageband, for that matter!) The right mics, the right pre's, great conversion and clocking, a fantastic room, and most important of all... using my friggin' EARS to get the results I'm after. And record top-notch musicians! Playing REAL instruments! The DAW I use is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT when it comes to the end product. If you've been at it for a while and you're a pro, I'd have thought you'd have realized that by now.

You might want to re-read my posts... nowhere in ANY of them did I mention "workflow" or being dependent on plug-ins. My "workflow" consists of nothing more or less than doing what a client's music requires. Plain and simple! If they want to track to my 2" analog deck, it's always ready to go. If they want to do an edgy modern-rock album with all the latest bells and whistles, it's no problem. If they want to track on location at a smoky club, I'm more than happy to accommodate them. They generally don't give a **** what I use, as long as the end product sounds good...
Wasn't gonna do the @this guy @that guy Facebook thing. I replied to everyone at once assuming you've read most of the gibberish. Someone said that someone thought the mix sounded like it went through a 2" tape. LOL....from Logic........LOL. It sounded like muddy Garage Band. You're correct and MY point made for me, If you use BUTTNAKED recording, live instruments in both PTany version, and Logic. ProTools will win for clarity and imaging. Why do YOU mr fast car, di the SHOOTOUT!!!?? Y'all need to stop bawkin "like my women who need more of my time! (envision Family Guy flashback), AND get to uploading some files......DANGIT!!! No more typin, no more cakes.......just files. Get to crackin!!! BLIND shootout PLEASE!!
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
YES

What we have now are:
1. Singers that cant hold pitch to save their life
2. Drummers with no rhythm/groove ability(See this ALL THE TIME)
3. Guitar players who cant hold rhythm and just dont play well
4. Bass players who cant groove and hit bad notes
5. Keyboard players who cant comp, play all over everyones parts(Left hand stupidness)

So the tools now are being used primarily to make those without talent appear as though they have some. On a brighter note, its nice to be able to FIX one part of a perfect performance that has a small flaw in it
Dammm shame, and that's the talent?, that gets the deal. Probably have ghost musicians off stage playing. Or as a group I MD'ed for use to do, record all the backgrounds, horns and arrangement to a MPC, and samples to the Kurweil2500s, Drummer gets the CLICK TRACK FROM THE MPC, and carry on from there. Someone who reads this will KNOW who I'm talkin about. Nevertheless, DAW aside, I take garbage money for recording garbage, BUT there are times I'll turn it down because it's NOT creative enuff. I'll get bored, and it would show in my mixes.

Let's bring REAL music back....PLEASE, and use PT to make sure it sounds better than Garage Logic.heh
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wasn't gonna do the @this guy @that guy Facebook thing. I replied to everyone at once assuming you've read most of the gibberish. Someone said that someone thought the mix sounded like it went through a 2" tape. LOL....from Logic........LOL. It sounded like muddy Garage Band. You're correct and MY point made for me, If you use BUTTNAKED recording, live instruments in both PTany version, and Logic. ProTools will win for clarity and imaging. Why do YOU mr fast car, di the SHOOTOUT!!!?? Y'all need to stop bawkin "like my women who need more of my time! (envision Family Guy flashback), AND get to uploading some files......DANGIT!!! No more typin, no more cakes.......just files. Get to crackin!!! BLIND shootout PLEASE!!
There you go again with the "ProTools will win for clarity and imaging" again... based on what? I've used the same front end on PT, DP, and Logic... (Apogee... for REAL instruments, mind you...) None of them sounds different than any of the others unprocessed, period. I've taken stuff tracked in PT and did a level-matching mix with the same tracks in Logic (without any plug-ins) and they will null. I've done the same in reverse, and they null. Have you actually tried this?

My 2" machine definitely sounds like tape, though. Very familiar with that sound. I can get a similar vibe out of PT, Logic, or DP if I want to. Or, I can make the most edgy, harsh digital mix in any of the three if I want... Whatever the client is after.

Sorry... that's all I have time to say. Gotta go track another talented, paying client...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search