The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digi 003+ or mr816x, which would you choose with this setup??? Audio Interfaces
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Digi 003+ or mr816x, which would you choose with this setup???

so i got a 003+ with PT8 and since PT9 came out im debating on to switch up my setup(as have thousands of others)

Anyway i have a 32ch Ghost and would like to utilize all of my inputs. Right now im not doing really more than 8 tracks of recording at the same time so the 003 is fine. But down the road i hope to expand.

Heres the scenario: with my 003 i can record 16 tracks at once(analog and ADAT), which only uses half of my boards inputs.

With the MR816 i can get the same functionality with i think better pres and convertors BUT i can daisy chain 2 together to get 32ins which then i can use my entire board if needed!

Is their any disadvantages to this that im missing here, or any info i got wrong?
Are the pres and convertors better on the MR816 like everyone says???

Merry Christmas!!!
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Bumpity
Old 15th December 2010
Why do you care about preamps if you want to utilise your board preamps? you'd get more for your cash if you went for a preamp-less converter.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Why do you care about preamps if you want to utilise your board preamps? you'd get more for your cash if you went for a preamp-less converter.
U are correct sir! I guess I'm more after convertors quality. Sorry for the pre question i was writing it really fast and didn't completely think it through. Anyway any suggestions on gear? I'm tryin to utilize all my ins and cost is a factor of course
Old 15th December 2010
MR816 CSX's

Hello.. I run two MR816CSX's here in NY and have had great success with them! There is a small issue with the device.. The analog inputs are all MIC LEVEL.
They have a 20db pad on them to accommodate "line level" signals but if I feed a send from an aux or a keyboard without a DI it blows up the input.

You can however utilize the insert points on anaolg 1 & 2 for "line level inputs"
Your could get 20 line level inputs with 2x MR8's and 2 x 8ch AD converters.
Old 15th December 2010
MR816 CSX's

Oh yeah.. The MR8's will sound light years better then your AVID converters!
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply nyfrequencies!

So Im thinking I might be SOL with the mr816 because all my inputs from the ghost will b line level because it is coming out the direct out. Although I send the amount to PT via the fader so maybe I just won't push the fader up as much and see if I dont blow up the pres (never thought of this so not sure if it will work)

So I don't know now

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search