The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Great News for Indie Artists (re: Itunes store)
Old 19th July 2003
Lives for gear

Great News for Indie Artists (re: Itunes store)

http://www.macminute.com/2003/07/18/oasiscd

what do you guys think?
Old 19th July 2003
Lives for gear

Well, if you aren't on one of the indie labels that have deals with the Apple Store, this seems to be the only way for you to get your stuff on there.
Old 20th July 2003
CD Baby is offering something similar.
http://cdbaby.net/dd

They have a deal with the Itunes store, and so you can go through them.

I'm sure many other companies will jump on this soon as well. Charge a little setup fee (where they really make the money from), and then take a small cut of your sales as well.

Steve
Old 20th July 2003
Motown legend

EVERYBODY wants their small cut of your sales!

This is my problem with the Internet. It's like the worst features of the Yellow Pages combined with the worst features of being a store in a Mall. You don't have great visibility unless you spend a fortune yet you're stuck with a landlord who is ready to shut you down if you can't pay anything they ask.

My rule is to ALWAYS beware of large corporations bearing gifts, especially those who never pay their stockholders dividends!
Old 21st July 2003
Here for the gear

I have a hunch that at some point, any indie artist will be able to get their stuff on iTunes, uh, independently...

I had settled on Oasis to duplicate my upcoming CD. And no small part of my decision was the extras and affiliations that supposedly "come with" the duplication package: bar code, Amazon, CD Baby, CD Street, etc.

However, after I did a little research, I found that absolutely every single one of the companies that Oasis made a big deal of "providing" an afffiliation with, had some kind of way for anyone to sign up for.

Of course, most of these had some kind of fees associated with them. But all Oasis was really doing was collecting those fees up front and signing you up for them with the fees rolled in to your duplication costs.

For example, the duplication package I wanted would've been well over $2000 at Oasis. The place I wound up going with charged less than $1000 for the exact same printing & packaging. The only difference was the one I used doesn't sign you up for, or charge for, Amazon and all that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search