The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve Portico 5042
Old 12th December 2010
Lives for gear

Neve Portico 5042

thinking about getting the 5042
is there anything that i should maybe consider before the 5042?
Thanks
Old 13th December 2010
Lives for gear

It is the best sounding effect unit in it's price range, and better to my ears than the plug in emulators out there. No it does not sound like tape, but it has some characteristics of what tape sounds like. It is subtle, but I have found it sounds great on everything...except the bass guitar. With the transformers, it adds a little larger than life sound, and adds this subtle smoothness that is really very nice. I use it as the first hardware in my chain after the mic pre, and I have used it on a drum bus, and 2 bus. 15 setting does not cut off the high end as much, but I have found the 7.5 setting useful in certain situations on electric guitar leads that are bright. There are some more expensive units like out there that offer more than the 2 flavors of the 5042, but this is just the right ticket for me. Simple, and sweet.
Old 13th December 2010

Agreed. Adds a 300hz hump which isn't so useful - no tape machine I have has a head bump around there.
Old 13th December 2010
Lives for gear

thanks for the info
with regard to the price is there any reel to reels that could be got for price you think?
most reels ive seen to buy in person have been in bad condition
Old 13th December 2010

If you are in the USA then they seem to come up. I paid £1500 UK for an ATR102 5 years ago. They tend to be double that now. I had 2 x 5042 - sold them last week on Ebay.
Old 14th December 2010
Lives for gear

OP, I was interested in the 5042 a few weeks back so I found a local dealer and set up a demo. The demo was not that impressive - 5042 was so subtle that it was just not one of those dramatic moments that you can sometimes have. It was good - better on a few tracks and not noticeable on others. Still though when it worked it really sounded nice to my ears.

When I thought of just how subtle the "effect" was that it adds, I couldn't justify the $1900 price tag (source: Sweetwater). I came back to GS and checked the Classifieds. "Wow - this thing sells for $1900 new but there are several for sale for $900ish in the Classifieds!"

That was a red flag to me. Good gear doesn't lose 50% of it's value like that without a reason. Another red flag for me was that, even at $900, they were staying for sale for quite a while. So I didn't buy it.

In the end I opted for the UAD-2 card + the Studer A800 plug. Should be in this week otherwise I'd tell you my $0.02.

Side note: I record mostly instrumental, two mic'ed guitar tracks so my demo was mostly around those sources. It's completely likely that my experience and yours/others who are doing full on mixes could be very different.
Old 14th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
If you are in the USA then they seem to come up. I paid £1500 UK for an ATR102 5 years ago. They tend to be double that now. I had 2 x 5042 - sold them last week on Ebay.
how come you sold them if you dont mind me asking?
Do they not cut it with regard to sound?
Old 14th December 2010
Gear Addict

I love mine, use it as part of a long chain on the mix buss
Old 14th December 2010
I bought a 4 track machine last year and I'm very happy that I did. You can get a good one on Craigslist or eBay cheap, and although some Gearslutz people will tell you to be frightened of used or badly calibrated gear, I love mine. It also cost less than half the cost of a Neve unit and it sounds like what you want.
Old 18th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
how come you sold them if you dont mind me asking?
Do they not cut it with regard to sound?
Using the tape machine a lot more. They're a good box - and I really liked what they did with the top end....

Never liked the 300 hz hump though - always fought against it with EQ.

As I say - sold them because I'm use the ATR and 2 inch a lot. Don't get me wrong - the 5042 is a very nice bit of kit, no plug in comes close (no not even the UAD new stuff). But equally the 5042 is not as close to tape as using tape!!
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac
I have a 5042 and love it. It sounds like really good 2" tape - which is a subtle improvement if you just run your mix through it, and turning up the "saturation" too much does hump 300hz and makes your music sound like a 70s vinyl record (sometimes this is a good thing!). However, using the 7.5 ips setting while recording (say kick and snare) is awesome - sounds like you recorded to real tape!

Just passing audio through the RND transformers will give you a bit of mojo too...
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I play my guitar through a 5032, then I split the signal to both sides of my 5042, then to a stereo effects unit, and finally to 2 separate amps. It sounds heavenly for Jazz/fusion.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
Using the tape machine a lot more. They're a good box - and I really liked what they did with the top end....

Never liked the 300 hz hump though - always fought against it with EQ.

As I say - sold them because I'm use the ATR and 2 inch a lot. Don't get me wrong - the 5042 is a very nice bit of kit, no plug in comes close (no not even the UAD new stuff). But equally the 5042 is not as close to tape as using tape!!
Cool man thanks
im thinking about getting Portico or Tape machine...just the ones ive seen on ebay seem in really bad shape..well some of them not all of course
What reel to reel would recommend?
Ive not heard good things about the Akai ones and there seems to be alot on them on ebay
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

When you listen to the 5042 in action, listen to the cymbals, listen to the top of the dynamics of the track. It's not suppose to give you the sound of an tube EQ or compressor. It is a subtle smoothness that makes the signal more pleasing at times. At the 15 setting, you have to work with the input and saturation control, not just the saturation control. Depending how hard the signal is hitting the tape head (or gentle) along with the saturation will control the way it sounds. If you go to youtube.com and check out samples of the UAD Studer, it also is very subtle. However the Portico has transformers that your signal goes through and to my ears it adds more umph to the signal than the UAD Studer.
Old 9th January 2011

The 5042 is indeed a much nicer thing to have than the UAD studer - even though that is a great plugin. What the 5042 does to the high end is in fact fantastic. I only sold mine because I was using the tape machine more.

Unless you can spend proper money on a tape machine I would recommend the 5042. Also - unless you can afford the maintenance - stick with the 5042, A good piece of kit.
Old 23rd December 2011
Gear Head

I just bought a 5042 for 900ish off ebay.Although I like what plug ins try to do I have to use some hardware.Plug ins promise a lot but just miss.
Old 23rd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keena View Post
I just bought a 5042 for 900ish off ebay.Although I like what plug ins try to do I have to use some hardware.Plug ins promise a lot but just miss.
Same here. I got one used last week from Guitar Center. $900

I have the UAD Studer, UAD ATR, and Kramer KMT. I like this a lot more because it hits my signals before they go digital.

Very smooth. I'm loving 7.5 IPS on kick, snare, and cymbals. bass sources get a bit "wooly" if the saturation isn't just right.
Old 23rd December 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrafunk View Post
Same here. I got one used last week from Guitar Center. $900

I have the UAD Studer, UAD ATR, and Kramer KMT. I like this a lot more because it hits my signals before they go digital.

Very smooth. I'm loving 7.5 IPS on kick, snare, and cymbals. bass sources get a bit "wooly" if the saturation isn't just right.
Yeah I wanted the 5042 not just for buss but also for tracking.I was talking to a mastering cat years ago and they said if I wanted analog tape sound it should be in the tracking.It always bounced around in my mind and after all the trial and error I can only conclude it is what I will be doing next.Because from what I have found no amount of analog tape love at the buss is really going to replace 24 tracks of tape tracked tracks.I still use AC1/AC2 and some others UBK-1 has found a place in my mixs.
Old 23rd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keena View Post
Because from what I have found no amount of analog tape love at the buss is really going to replace 24 tracks of tape tracked tracks.I still use AC1/AC2 and some others UBK-1 has found a place in my mixs.
Well put. Running every track through it is sweet. My productions are sequenced on my keyboard. Those sounds need all the analog help they can get.

Now that I have the 5042, I don't have to strap UAD Studers on the tracks. My UAD cards are free so I can use more of their 1176's and Pultecs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search