The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
clean delay pedal to replace memory man
Old 19th January 2006
Lives for gear

clean delay pedal to replace memory man

I have a Deluxe Memory Man. I think it is a great pedal, but will be getting another one to replace the EH. There is just a little too much noise with this thing. I want a cleaner sounding delay. It has a little too much noise (as did other EH pedals I tried out like the Small Clone and Holier Grail). They were all great pedals but just added too much noise to the signal.
I guess I want a clean delay and would like bypass if at all possible since my other pedals are all true bypass and analog. I've heard some say the MM is bypass and some say that it is not.

I do not want this to be a noisy pedal. My thoughts are between the following:
1) Carl Martin Delayla XL--true bypass, digital, and I love my Carl Martin compressor
2) Maxon AD999--true bypass, analog, maybe less versatility than the Delayla XL
3) T-Rex Replica-- more expensive than the others
4) SIB Echodrive--concerned about reliability, do I really want a tube in my delay pedal?

Everything else I have in front of my amp is analog right now. But what's the big deal if the digital delay sounds good? I'm leaning toward the CM, but I'd appreciate your input.
Old 19th January 2006
Gear Addict

I like the Maxon. I have the AD-900 which is pretty much the same thing I guess.

I've had the SIB as well, didn't like it as much.
Old 19th January 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

What do you mean by "noisy"? Is your MM having true bypass like the newer models?
If you mean the noise that comes from the chained bucket-brigades in the
echo repeats, that's pretty mormal for any analog BB delay. The Maxon Ad pedal
hides some of its noise in a slightly darker filter.
But that's not the sound I like the most. MM is the closest to a perfect guitar delay sound I've encountered so far. It blends with the arrangement instead of mudding it all up.
As for me, my MM deluxe is broken, noisy as hell. What to do about it?
I BUY ANOTHER ONE!! (In my country it's cheaper to buy a new one than to fix the old).

ruudman
Old 19th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feyshay
I guess I want a clean delay and would like bypass if at all possible since my other pedals are all true bypass and analog. I've heard some say the MM is bypass and some say that it is not.
The newer Deluxe Memory Men are true-bypass. It's easy to check, the true-bypass version will let sound thru even when the MM is not powered. It also features a seperate wall-wart AC power supply instead of the built-in one of the older units that were prone to annoying noise. AnalogMan has all this info here:
http://analogman.com/eh.htm#dmm

So your problem could be just that. I got a newer Memory Man and absolutely love it. It's only noisy when I put noise into it (i.e noise from compressors, distortion thru single coil PUs, etc) The unit itself is dead quiet and the Gain knob on the pedal is very useful.

I don't know your setup but maybe the noise problem comes from somewhere else? I highly recommend George L cables for all inter-pedal connections. They're awesome and clean/quiet as can be.

My other delay is a Line6 DL4. It's versatile and all but can't hold a candle to the Memory Man sound-wise. I'm thinking about getting the T.Rex Replica, as it features a tap function, something I can't live without anymore. I wonder if the astronomic price tag is justified?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
MM is the closest to a perfect guitar delay sound I've encountered so far. It blends with the arrangement instead of mudding it all up.
So true!

With my DL4 - even when precisely tapping in the tempo and setting the wet portion to a bare minimum- there's something distracting about the sound. It just is too 'seperate' from the dry sound and as you said, the Memory Man sounds so much more musical even when you keep it at a specific delay setting that won't have an easy mathematical relation to the rhythm of the song. This is aided by the modulation of the 'chorus' or 'tremolo', setting it to just a hint of modulation works just great for most situation.

Just listen to Bill Frisell for a free Memory Man master class!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker

Just listen to Bill Frisell for a free Memory Man master class!
pretty sure frisell uses the dl4 tho...hhe
Lives for gear

Memory Man versus Delayla XL--clean?

My deluxe memory man must be true bypass, since I get signal through without it having any power.
My concern is more with the noise. I think it is broken. It sounds different. I had tested it by having it as the only pedal. The main signal is a little muddied (I think that is how it was before), but the delay sounds like it has a sandpaper noise. Definitely changed and very noticeable. This thing is broken, and I only got it in September '05. I'll be sending it back, since it is under warranty.
I do love the pedal, as I said before. I'm disturbed that it broke (and it was not used that much, power was off when not used, not mishandled, etc.).

The other thing that I have a problem with (as I did with the small clone and the holier grail) is that when you engage the switch (even with the blend and level down), you get a "hiss"--not really but definitely the addition of some noise.
I really don't want this because I use bright on high gain on my amp. I'll avoid the Maxon because it might be muddy. That leaves the Carl Martin as my best bet (since it is very clean, I hear)? Anybody use the Carl Martin
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by eligit
Yep, Bill plays a DL-4. He's also got a Digitech PDS8000 in the chain. A far from clean pedal.

Nels Cline on the other hand uses an old EH 16 second delay to great effect.
Lives for gear

My main (guitar) delays are an old Roland SDE-1000 (rack) and a Line6 DL4. I love both, but recently added a Diamond Memory Lane analog delay pedal. I'm still putting it through it's paces, but so far it sounds great. Here's a pic of mine:

http://diamondpedals.com/products/memorylane.html
Lives for gear

BTW, the Memory Lane is analog, has tap tempo, modulation, and is true bypass.
Gear Maniac

My buddy Marc F.(black crows, ben harper) uses the green Line 6 for that sound as well. He truned me on to that peddal and he said he had all the origonal ones. I think I've gone through 3 already... I'm hard on my stuff
sam
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew
BTW, the Memory Lane is analog, has tap tempo, modulation, and is true bypass.
..and theft proof, considering the color
Lives for gear

The Memory Lane looks very nice, although it is nearly as expensive as the T-Rex. May have some advantages over the T-Rex, though.
I'd have to go with something other than pink. That might effect my mojo. Or maybe it would make my guitar solos more delicate.
Old 20th January 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

The other guitarist in my band has a MM, I have a moogerfooger MF-104Z and when recording we always choose the moog over the MM. The extra CV flexibility is nice, but the main driver is that the MM is just a noisier box. As Ruudman says at the beginning of the thread, any bucket brigade based delay is going to have some noise, but the moog has the least of any that I've heard, and overall just an amazing tone. It is a bit pricier than some of the other options mentioned, and the tap tempo option on the Memory Lane sounds awfully tempting..
I think the Moog is a little overpriced. I would go for the blackbox quicksliver if I were you.
Mark Gifford
The DLS Echotap is a really nice box. It's digital, but it sounds great, and has a bunch of cool features like true bypass and stereo I/O.

www.dlseffects.com

MG
Lives for gear

are u kidding the ad-999 is awesome! No pop TBS! You can even find on line Japanese dealers for like HALF the price... nuff said.... goodluck
Lives for gear

Quote:
He sure does live but Frisell is still the best example that comes to mind when I think of what the Memory Man can add to the sound of a great player. And he definitely has used the MM in the past and on recordings.

Don't forget that the DL4 is all about EMULATIONS. I used the 'Memory Man' patch on the DL4 for a long time but it just doesn't hold up when compared to the real MM. Naturally logistics play a role in what a player will use in a live setting. I still got the DL4 in my pedalboard, I'm just in the process of going for quality over quantity again. I don't need 100 delay sounds but rather 2 or 3 that work great and it's also a shame that the DL4 only lets you store 3 presets, this is a total drag.......

The DL4 is a very good sounding box when considered per se but if you line it up (pun intended) against the originals that the clones are based on, well , then the emulations will just take second place (at least in the case of the 'analog' ones) There's a difference between 'o.k' and 'great' and my earlier point was that due to the 'blending' quality of the real MM, the tap-tempo function of the DL4 becomes obsolete.

I still want a tap-able delay pedal for other applications so that's why I'm interested in the T.Rex. But it better be WAY better sounding than the DL4 and this I'm not so sure about. I guess I will mail-order one eventually and give it back if it's not killing.

The patch I like best on the DL4 is one that isn't an emulation. The 'Sweep Delay' is really great so no offense against this box.
Lives for gear

Quote:
He sure does live but Frisell is still the best example that comes to mind when I think of what the Memory Man can add to the sound of a great player. And he definitely has used the MM in the past and on recordings.

Don't forget that the DL4 is all about EMULATIONS. I used the 'Memory Man' patch on the DL4 for a long time but it just doesn't hold up when compared to the real MM. Naturally logistics play a role in what a player will use in a live setting. I still got the DL4 in my pedalboard, I'm just in the process of going for quality over quantity again. I don't need 100 delay sounds but rather 2 or 3 that work great and it's also a shame that the DL4 only lets you store 3 presets, this is a total drag.......

The DL4 is a very good sounding box when considered per se but if you line it up (pun intended) against the originals that the clones are based on, well , then the emulations will just take second place (at least in the case of the 'analog' ones) There's a difference between 'o.k' and 'great' and my earlier point was that due to the 'blending' quality of the real MM, the tap-tempo function of the DL4 becomes obsolete.

I still want a tap-able delay pedal for other applications so that's why I'm interested in the T.Rex. But it better be WAY better sounding than the DL4 and this I'm not so sure about. I guess I will mail-order one eventually and give it back if it's not killing.

The patch I like best on the DL4 is one that isn't an emulation. The 'Sweep Delay' is really great so no offense against this box.
ironically although i think fris is the very best i don't like the dl 4. the quality of the sound was just not super appealing to me when i tried it myself. and that great expression pedal is so flimsy....

but if you hear the last live frisell record, there's nothing wrong with THAT sound quality....heh

and also, like you said it's not like the sound quality of any of these types of long delay/loopers type boxes is flawless...so

and by the way, the BETTER of these live releases was the online download ONLY version, called "further west, futher east". you can hear him going totally nuts with these delay pedals, loops etc. all in real time.
Lives for gear

Quote:
and by the way, the BETTER of these live releases was the online download ONLY version, called "further west, futher east".
It's still available here: http://www.billfrisell.com/index-discs.htm I'll get it as soon as I'm on OSX, which should be soon!

The 'regular' East/West CD leaves nothing to be desired though, it's just amazing. I love Frisell's 'wild' stuff but his music has only gotten deeper and more rooted over the years.

Another great CD of his is 'Ghost Town', it's all solo and features plenty of looping. The booklet actually mentions his gear 'He used an Electro-Harmonix 16-second delay, a Fender Princeton amp, Mesa Boogie Mark II and D'Addarion strings'.

So no Memory Man on 'Ghost Town' and thinking about it, the 'modulation' of his chordal playing seems to come primarily from bending the neck, an integral part of his style. I guess the delays act as 'enhancement' for that so in the end, it's about the player and technique and not the equipment.

(My memory slowly coming back now)....I saw Frisell play solo about 3 years ago (in a double bill will Marc Ribot who just killed with, among other great stuff, an incredible 'reconstruction' of Django Reinhardt's 'Nuages'.)

Frisell was great but he definitely used a DL4 (as looper) and sometimes the loops sounded a bit 'artifical' to me. Remember that this was a solo performance where you really hear every note. I would have liked him to use a Boomerang, which is just amazing for this stuff.
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's still available here: http://www.billfrisell.com/index-discs.htm I'll get it as soon as I'm on OSX, which should be soon!

The 'regular' East/West CD leaves nothing to be desired though, it's just amazing. I love Frisell's 'wild' stuff but his music has only gotten deeper and more rooted over the years.

Another great CD of his is 'Ghost Town', it's all solo and features plenty of looping. The booklet actually mentions his gear 'He used an Electro-Harmonix 16-second delay, a Fender Princeton amp, Mesa Boogie Mark II and D'Addarion strings'.
all i can tell you is...DOWNLOAD THAT THING. it is available as a LOSSLESS version as well. takes longer to d/l but so what. get that version. i think it is FLAC?

anyway the playing simply kicks more ass than the CD release. you will NOT be dissapointed. he really goes to town. not sure why they picked which tracks for which release....whatever...

ghost town is basically the album that made me want to start recording my guitar playing. either the worst or best thing ever....hahaha. it is the ref i use when recording guitar stuff. he get some of that signature vibe from bending the neck while the delays play out. sounds sort of like an organic chorusing effect or something.

i also use a priceton for this purpose. just a great small amp.
Lives for gear

Quote:
all i can tell you is...DOWNLOAD THAT THING. it is available as a LOSSLESS version as well. takes longer to d/l but so what. get that version. i think it is FLAC?
Yes sir, I will! I mistakenly thought it was an iTunes thing (which would need OSX)

Does this FLAC stuff (whatever that is) work under OS9?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew
My main (guitar) delays are an old Roland SDE-1000 (rack) and a Line6 DL4. I love both, but recently added a Diamond Memory Lane analog delay pedal. I'm still putting it through it's paces, but so far it sounds great. Here's a pic of mine:

http://diamondpedals.com/products/memorylane.html

I'm very jealous of your pink memory lane.

I love my memory lane. I think of it as what I'd always hoped the DMM would be. I also use a dd-20 live, but in the studio it's just the memory lane and my space echo.
Lives for gear

THe T-REx replica is an awesome pedal... It's probably the best delay I've heard in a pedal, especially if you're looking for a clean delay sound.
Lives for gear

i think the line 6 is great -- use it all the time -- fine for clean, but especially good for modulated and reverse delays! and, it has a few slots for storing programs...
Lives for gear

Thanks everybody for the recommendations. I've sent my Memory Man Deluxe in for repair (after having it for 4 months). I really like that pedal. I decided to try out the Boss DD-20 after reading scores of good reviews on harmony central. It's cheaper than the Line 6 and seems to be more reliable.
I was very close to getting the Diamond Memory Lane, but no one said anything negative about the MM. My problem is only when I want bright on my amp. I got the Boss since it seems to have a lot of versatility, and when I want the shorter delays and analog sound I'll have the MM Deluxe.
I'll post further if changes.
Lives for gear

Once you try the Line 6 Echo Park, you'll be scarred for life.

Old 21st January 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I got the Boss DD-20. It has a lot of versatility. Pretty cool pedal. Didn't like the digital sound and didn't like the noticeable difference in sound without true bypass.

Sounded too digital (and I'm not an analog freak like some of you are).

I'm returning it. I'll sell the Memory Man Deluxe when I get it back from the repair.
I ordered a Diamond Memory Lane. Hopefully my obsessive delay woes will be over.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feyshay
I ordered a Diamond Memory Lane. Hopefully my obsessive delay woes will be over.
Welcome to the family.
Here for the gear

The new TC guitar pedal delay is pretty nice and creamy.....
๐Ÿ“ Reply