Memory Lane doesn't have a dedicated vibrato section, which is the MM deluxe's
mojo IMO.

I love EH pedals, got myself the new Flanger Hoax. Beautiful

ruudman
Old 22nd January 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtrumpet
The new TC guitar pedal delay is pretty nice and creamy.....
I've heard people say that the new TC delay pedal is the same pedal as the T Rex delay pedal.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
I love EH pedals
Ditto here! Ever since going wild with my very first guitar amp, an EH 'Mike Matthews Dirt Road Special' with built-in Small Stone phaser, I've been in love with EH pedals. You still gotta play but there's something inspiring in the EH sounds that I haven't really found in any other pedal besides maybe my Vox Wah.

Electric Mistress, Small Stone, Big Muff, Memory Man, Pulsar.....so many great sounding pedals. It's a blessing that all this stuff is available again. I was around when these pedals were still available in the early 80ies but nobody cared too much then. Probably in the same way that folks didn't care about U67s or 47s or something.....
Lives for gear

Well. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have 2 delay pedals. I could always keep the MM Deluxe.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feyshay
Well. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have 2 delay pedals. I could always keep the MM Deluxe.
thumbsup

Just what the doc ordered

ruudman
Old 23rd January 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

The Edge uses 2 delay units.....

........one as a short slapback delay for thickening, one for longer delays.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper
The Edge uses 2 delays units........one as a short slapback delay for thickening, one for longer delays.
Are you sure? heh

http://www.pappysmusic.com/images/ed..._rack_gear.jpg
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
Memory Lane doesn't have a dedicated vibrato section, which is the MM deluxe's
mojo IMO.

I love EH pedals, got myself the new Flanger Hoax. Beautiful

ruudman
You'd be surprised how bent you get the memory lane to sound. Little clip I made

I mean, maybe it's not a fair comparison -- it's a heck of lot pricier than a DMM.
Lives for gear

I know you can get fast modulation on it, I tested my friends ML .

Still, the vibrato section of MM is a bit more "seasick", if you know what I mean.
I'm a Norse, so I like bad weather

ruudman
Gear Maniac

Got a black MemLane here, but I have to say that the DMM does something the ML won`t and vice versa.

The DMM (with a little modulation on the repeats) is more ethereal and spacey sounding (and closer to a surf, Chris Isaak, Edge vibe) than the ML that`s more earthy.

The DMM is brighter and more tapelike, the ML quite a bit darker sounding.
Btw the ML is darker than my AD900 and Echoczar. The EQ knob on the ML is no easy fix for this; turning the EQ knob for brighter repeats each repeat will get progressively brighter and may result in a quite nasty kind of self-oscillation.
To get repeats that don`t have a `filtering` effect (neither getting progressively brighter or darker) but are just natural decaying, the EQ knob on mine needs to be set around 11 O`clock. In this position the ML is more midrangy than my other delays, lacking the shimmer of the DMM and the highs and lows of the AD900.

The ML is by no means a DMM replacement to my ears. The ML plays better with overdrives and fuzz than the DMM. But for some types of vibey clean sounds nothing beats my two trusty DMMs.
Lives for gear

You're all feeding my sluttiness. First, I was thinking replace. Now I'm sure I'm just going to be adding a delay pedal. I'll have a DMM and a DML.
Old 24th January 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Nice one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker
You may be interested in this page here. There's a quote from Edge that lends some credence to the author's claims..... it seems well researched but who knows???
Old 10th April 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear
not one person mentioned the delayla XL. any comments? i'm thinking of getting one.
Gear Head

i'm a stereo memory man guy.
only three knobs, and you can turn them with your toes.

the blackbox quick silver looks like a good addition to my rig, but its expensive.
http://www.blackboxmusicfx.com/qs.html
Lives for gear

If you love your Memory Man, but hate the noise, just buy a little true bypass looper and put the MM in that. Your MM is now true bypass.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
I've heard people say that the new TC delay pedal is the same pedal as the T Rex delay pedal.
The whole TC vintage line is indeed T Rex pedals in a different housing.

The new TC delay is quite another beast:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/NovaDelay

Diamond and DLS are great delays

Why is everybody so big on true bypass? http://www.petecornish.co.uk/case_ag...ue_bypass.html

/megl
Lives for gear

Check out the Jacques Prisoner: http://ts808.com/

Unfortuneately it doesnt have that crazy distorted endless repeat thing that the DMM does. Very nice, warm and clean though

And whilst you're at it, make a cup of tea and read through all of Threm's suggestions on thus thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/74240-guitarists-whats-your-pitch-wobbler-pedal.html (post #19)
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by megl View Post

Why is everybody so big on true bypass?
Some pedals are just way too noisy to have them constantly 'online'. My Adrenalinn pedal is like that - I love the sound fx that it's capable of, but it just messes with my sound too much to have it constantly in my chain. I have a 4 loop true bypass looper pedal made by Loooper (I don't know if he's still making them due to health issues).

www.loooper.com
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
Some pedals are just way too noisy to have them constantly 'online'. My Adrenalinn pedal is like that - I love the sound fx that it's capable of, but it just messes with my sound too much to have it constantly in my chain.
Yeah - well, that's just because it's a poorly made pedal ;-)

It seems like many thinks "true bypass" is a plus, when it pops up in the specifications for a pedal ... well it might not be - read the link to Cornish' statement

A switching/loop system is another deal - it's great to cut the pedal out completely, but most of those systems aren't true bypass - they have buffers built in ... and that's a good thing!

/megl
Lives for gear

Another Memory Lane junkie here. I think it's a wonderful unit. Perhaps a bit "darker" than the DMM, as someone else noted, though I'd dispute that its modulation functions are not versatile. One does, however, have to take it out of tap mode to get the deepest kind of warbles.

It's also bullet-proof. I like some of the EH pedals, too (I mean, they're kinda "classic," right)?, but the build-quality is as shoddy as any pedal maker I can think of.

I've owned a LOT of delay pedals over the years, and this one I think lives up to the hype—and the hefty price tag. I had the DLS most recently, before the ML, and the sound wasn't even close. The DLS also didn't behave nicely with other pedals. (If I put it near the end of the chain, after most other pedals, including OD, it would often distort. And not nicely.) The ML loves my FDII and Hot Cake and plays nicely with the SHO that comes last in the chain.

The Replica is nice, but I didn't think it sounds as good as the ML. Its MIDI functions are enticing, but I don't really need them.

IMHO the ML really shines when you've got an expression pedal for controlling delay repeats. You can get everything from Wilco-like oscillation to spacey dub effects, and it will work with an inexpensive EBJr or Moogerfogger pedal. Diamond can also mod the thing (and it's pretty inexpensive) in several ways—installing a switch to make taps dotted eighths instead of quarter notes (Edge, anyone?), or adding more expression pedal options for delay time or dry/wet mix.

I used to have a DMM, like everyone else, and it does some stuff my ML won't, but I'm sticking with the ML.

My .02. Best of luck!
Old 11th April 2007
Lives for gear

I love my DL-4!
Old 11th April 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Maybe I'm the only one, but I think there's something special about the sound of a broken MM- I dig it! Had a broken one around for a while before it bit the dust all the way... so cool...
Lives for gear

Good to see this thread pop back up. I still have both the Memory Lane and Memory Man Deluxe in my chain. They'll never leave. I've come to appreciate the MM more and more. Nothing beats the slap back of the DL and options for tap tempo. The MM can get crazier. Great pedal.
Lives for gear

thumbsup

ruudman
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledoodler View Post
I think the Moog is a little overpriced. I would go for the blackbox quicksliver if I were you.

I just tried that Moog delay pedal, and wasn't that impressed with it. Not that it sounds bad, but if you already have a tape echo device like an Echoplex you don't need it.
📝 Reply