The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
help me blow a grand on guitar pedals
Old 1st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx
I just want to say, kurt cobain did everything Nirvana with a DS-1, DS-2....
It should be noted those DS/SD's that Kurt used were older Japanese builds and the new ones are built in tiawan and are close cousins but not the same tone.
Old 1st December 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Poon View Post
On that note fulltone makes great pedals, but they are not all built equally.

Stay AWAY from digital dirt boxes, unless you want digital clipping as an effect.

If wanting a dirt box on a budget a digitech bad monkey and a danalectro cool cat overdrive are excellent OD boxes that you can get for like $30.
I can vouch for that... the fulltone GT-500 is just WEIRD, not in a good way

digital dirt boxes. I've heard praise for the Boss Fender FBM-1? that's about the only one I can think of

$30 budget dirt: (all used) I would also highly recommend the Deltalab Rock Distortion, the MXR Classic Overdrive or Classic Distortion, and the Boss SD-1 and DS-2 (probably not the DS-1 unless you modify it, which is fun and easy). can't think of a good $30 fuzz, maybe the dano mini octave fuzz one
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearOnTheGo View Post
It should be noted those DS/SD's that Kurt used were older Japanese builds and the new ones are built in tiawan and are close cousins but not the same tone.
you are right, the newer issue DS-1s are harsher, I have both. ended up modding the newer ones using Brian Wampler's article as a guide. the older one sounds cool as is
Thanks for the input Dr. Poon, I've heard the cathedral in action and it is indeed excellent. I didn't know it did reverse reverb. That means...

delay: EHX memory boy
comp: EHX white finger
reverb: EHX cathedral
tremolo: EHX pulsar
fuzz: EHX little big muff
chorus: EHX small clone

holy ****, I've become an EHX fanboy
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
can't think of a good $30 fuzz, maybe the dano mini octave fuzz one
danalectro french toast
Lives for gear

a rack mount comp w/ a noise gate would eliminate a pedal and probably give you better compression than a pedal. you'd also have a comp to use in the studio. it depends where you want the comp in the chain.

the ibanez tube screamer has always sounded really good to me when you need some more crunch and whail.

just some suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perform/record View Post
a rack mount comp w/ a noise gate would eliminate a pedal and probably give you better compression than a pedal. you'd also have a comp to use in the studio. it depends where you want the comp in the chain.

the ibanez tube screamer has always sounded really good to me when you need some more crunch and whail.

just some suggestions.
Cheers. For studio compressors I'm fine with plugins, and I would like to experiment with stuff like putting the compressor after the reverb... Tubescreamer is great and crunchy, been looking at some videos. sounds very similar to that MXR overdrive recommended above, and I'll be getting it if the muff doesn't satisfy. Thanks!
Gear Guru

here's a quote I found about the Fuzz Factory, from Nels Cline's post on the website below "it's not, as some will tell you, "out of control". It is wild. it's on everything I've done since I got the thing. Marvelous. Sick. Classic."

NELS CLINE - Tech Talk

it's cool that he tells you why he uses each one. His music is great too, I've just discovered. been listening to the Nels Cline Singers double album "Initiate"

guy's a total shredder, in the best of ways, and great with effects
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
most of the pedals you have listed are crap.. stay away from digital pedals.. analog pedals of good quality are what you want.. just a few nice analog pedals beats the **** out of a bunch of digital garbage..
LOL. I didn't want to say it, but that was my reaction when I first saw the list. Get the best pedals you can. Nothing will drag your tone into mud like a s**ty effects pedal.

I like my Zendrive2 a lot. The Zendrive is also great for putting just a little edge on your tone. I have an Area 51 wah I like, but it's little over-the-top in terms of price. JangleBox makes good compressors. Get the Moog MF-103, and you'll never look at another phaser. For delays, I use both the MXR Carbon Copy and the Way Huge Aqua Puss reissue. Both are distinct and useful. I like the Q-Tron+ a lot. Actually, I like it more than my original MuTron III. It's very controllable, although at the cost of some character.

I'm interested in the EHX HOG and POG2, although I haven't played them. They look like a lot of fun, though. I'm also curious about the AdrenaLinn and some of the Pigtronix stuff.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geissler View Post
Thanks for the input Dr. Poon, I've heard the cathedral in action and it is indeed excellent. I didn't know it did reverse reverb. That means...

delay: EHX memory boy
comp: EHX white finger
reverb: EHX cathedral
tremolo: EHX pulsar
fuzz: EHX little big muff
chorus: EHX small clone

holy ****, I've become an EHX fanboy
I would rethink the tremolo choice! nah, that would be so cool to see you with all those pedals all on one board. I guess I'm overdoing it now, but you're still missing overdrive and distortion. you could get the Germanium big muff for that, or the Double Muff which I think is really cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I would rethink the tremolo choice! nah, that would be so cool to see you with all those pedals all on one board. I guess I'm overdoing it now, but you're still missing overdrive and distortion. you could get the Germanium big muff for that, or the Double Muff which I think is really cool
haha, damn you! What with case and expression pedals I'm already past 800 so I'll bide my time before grabbing another signal-crusher. Nels Cline is great, discovered the guy watching beck's record club videos, later realising I'd heard him before with wilco. Excellent guitarist!
Old 1st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Tubescreamer
Tube tremolo
Clean boost like mxr micro amp
Ross compressor or dynacomp

Akai headrush has great echoes like simulated tape tap tempo and hi eq rolloff

Line6 echo farm I'd cool
Gear Head

Menatone KarKrash

Get the Menatone KarKrash.....hell of a Pedal! It gives you two modes, the KarKrash, wich is a little bit "darker/mellow" and the TrainWreck, sounding a little more "open/focused". awsome for two rythmtracks in a song: left guitar KK, right guitar TW and there is a nice stereo image without changing Amps, guitars, etc....On top of that it comes with an EQ, + high cut.

Watch the clip on "pro-guitarshop.com". That's my "go to" anyways....tons of clips of all kinds of gear in the best quality I ever seen.

Not cheap, though.....around 350$.

Lives for gear

You want a voodoo labs power unit, it has isolated outs, less hum.

Compression - Nothing comes close to the Barber Tone Press. Parallel compression, you`ll keep your attack raise the rest, beautiful.

Distortions - Buy a good overdrive pedal and a Fuzz. You`ll get your overdrive tone, a Fuzz for rustier parts and both together will scream.

An Ibanez tube screamer or a Vox valvetone are great options for OD.

Fuzz, yeah I like how wicked the zvex is, but if you take one knob out of position during a show by mistake, you may kill half the audience when you step on it next.

An EH Big Muff is a thing of beauty.

There`s a great tremolo that doesn`t cost an arm and a leg and sounds like a million bucks: The Carl Martin Surf Tremolo. I can`t stop playing with mine and I`ve had lots of tremolo pedals.

Small Stone is wicked.

For delays, the MXR Carbon Copy kicks ass. When playing live, I use mine for slapbacks and short delays and love it everytime.

for longer delays, find something that sounds good and has tap tempo. Have you tried Boss pedal version of the Space Echo? It has a very usable spring reverb emulation and some very cool delay possibilities all in one WITH tap tempo. Really, try one.

For noise issues the EH thingie works great with clean guitars, but craps up on distortion. A best gate then the boss one is the ISP Decimator.

Hope this helps.
BTW, there's a long thread in the instruments section of people showing their pedal boards, if you want to get a bit of a survey of what people are using:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/instr...edalboard.html
Gear Guru

nice post, Johnny F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hai-fish View Post
Get the Menatone KarKrash.....hell of a Pedal! It gives you two modes, the KarKrash, wich is a little bit "darker/mellow" and the TrainWreck, sounding a little more "open/focused". awsome for two rythmtracks in a song: left guitar KK, right guitar TW and there is a nice stereo image without changing Amps, guitars, etc....On top of that it comes with an EQ, + high cut.

Watch the clip on "pro-guitarshop.com". That's my "go to" anyways....tons of clips of all kinds of gear in the best quality I ever seen.

Not cheap, though.....around 350$.

man, that's pretty sweet, just watched the video. Hmm, I'd be tempted to look at the Tonebone Trimode for similar functionality and tweakability for less money. the KarKrash seems to have a bit more bite or edge on tap, though, real zeppeliny, seems a little better. That has to be one of the most expensive dirt pedals I've ever seen. Has anyone looked at Klons on ebay lately? they're going for $800-900!!! I'm going to try to figure out a way to build one myself

pedal I'm extremely excited about right now: Boss LS-2 Line Selector. isn't that funny? it has two loops, and a level for each one!
Gear Head

get the pedal power by voodoo lab

don't get the DC brick- it doesn't have isolated outputs!
Old 1st December 2010
Quote:
... all I have right now is a dunlop wah ... I play in a surf/rockabilly band and produce mellow folktronic stuff on the side. ...
Boss NS2 (noise gate - I'm using single coils)...
Expression pedal
Some serious advice that you won't appreciate, but i'm going to give you anyway ...

A noisegate is NOT the answer to a noise problem. Certainly not with surf or folk stuff at least - which is typically fairly clean guitar where you want to hear the guitar notes and note tails ... (I will accept that some high-gain metalers will need noise gates - the gated sound is all part of it).

Do yourself a HUGE favour and buy yourself some noiseless pickups. You can still get the single coil flavour - but something like EMGs or Kinmans with Alnico in them - stuff that the big name artists actually use.

I have a bunch of quality analog pedals, and they are all good and all equally useless, depending on the particular sound you need at the time. It's really hard to know what to buy - the only safe bet is to buy everything (thanks Slipperman).

Seriously now - I see a lot of misinformed digital bashing going on here, but frankly at this stage I would buy a Line6 floor unit. I have the X3, but there is a new one that I expect I will buy when available.

Why? Because it gives you practically everything you are asking for, in a convenient package - and if you know what you are doing, it sounds bloody excellent. It will allow you to experiment and then, in time, you may find that YOUR sound uses specific pedals that you could then buy the real thing for a possible improvement. Having so many options means that you obviously can screw up majorly and then blame the unit for your incompetence.

The thing about analog pedals is that they are noisy and prone to power hum problems. Good digital is very quiet - and once your signal is in the digital realm, there is no loss or noise by connecting as many gadgets as you need. Plus, the advantage of perfect recall and programability are worth it.

You don't need to use everything or anything you don't want to. So if you don't want to use the amp & cab emulation, just don't. It's still the cheapest way to get everything you want.

I own quality analog stomp boxes and tubes amps and i've compared the Pod models against the originals, and generally I think that Line6 have done an extremely good job of emulating them. For live use, I wouldn't bother taking the real things. I keep the analog stuff for serious recording - they have a slight edge that makes the extra noise worth it. And for recording I keep the chain as short as I can. Making massive pedal boards to cover all options really is asking for noise and problems.

I find the spring reverb emulations in the Line6 stuff to be excellent - ideal for surf. The delays are good. The tuner is good. The wahs and volume control pedal are good. The modulation effects are good. The compressors are good. The pitch bender is a useless POS - get a Digitech if you need whammy FX, but if you are into surf you probably use a real whammy bar anyway.

I've A/B'd the Tubescreamer and Big Muff and other models against the real thing - and they are perfectly useable and quite faithfull. Nobody would really know what you were using in a live gig.

It will take some time to learn how to set things up - I think probably more intelligence is required than what some guitarists naturally have, which is a shame. Line6 have some dumbed down pedal options for those guys too - whatever makes you happy.

Just a suggestion.
Gear Nut

Since you have been watching clips I am sure you have came across this place, but if you haven't check it out.

YouTube - ProGuitarShopDemos's Channel

So many pedals, good recordings, and good playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Seriously now - I see a lot of misinformed digital bashing going on here, but frankly at this stage I would buy a Line6 floor unit. I have the X3, but there is a new one that I expect I will buy when available.
This is something that was in the back of my mind. The thing that bothers me about the all-in-one option is that it's just buying time. I could spend 500 on the pod 500HD, but I already have a bunch of amp sims and digital effects on my laptop, so a behringer footcontroller would be cheaper and achieve the same result. The pod is just a way of discovering what I really want/need. But I'm not buying any special or weird pedals - what I want is to take the basic building blocks of sound (reverb, delay, fuzz, comp, tremolo) and get the controls at my fingertips and visual routing (can't get more visual than swapping a cable around), all while sounding really ****ing great.

Someone on the previous page recommended that I focus on a few really good pedals, and I've realised this is the best philosophy to take - I've spent a long time with the computer and having 500 effects at your disposal with 25 tweakable paramaters each is NOT a setup which is conducive to creativity, no matter how good the effects are (sometimes amazing... I've recently discovered a plugin called EchoBoy which does the same thing as El Capistan).

Thanks for the tip on noiseless pickups. I'm playing a little danelectro reissue which I've come to love - can anything single-coil-sized be shoved in that lipstick tube?
Lives for gear

List the crappy pedals!

Can you guys name some crappy pedals that are popular and people fall in their popularity?

thanks!
Lives for gear

... the only thing to be aware of is that ehx pedals seem to have very different power supply requirements and connectors, which may not all be catered for by power plant/brick/whichever!
another suggestion if I may... pedals are like guitars, and finding the right fit for you on your quest for tone is important as one size does not fit all.

I'd suggest buying ONE pedal at a time, or going to a music store where you can try various pedals of each effect to see what really appeals to you. For example, I LOVE the Red Witch Empress Chorus pedal for it's super clean Andy Summers vibe - other's like a gritty less subtle chorus.

When it comes to distortion and fuzz don't assume you'll get the vibe you are looking for by buying a pedal randomly. I've gone through a lot of distortion and fuzz pedals before landing on the TS808 reissue (sometimes you just can't be the classics) and the Fulltone OCD (and sometimes you can), I also have a Keeley Modded BD-2... all three of those pedals have a different vibe for different applications - and, some sound better paired with different amps.

I prefer the TS808 re-issue on the vintage fender twin, I prefer the Keeley Modded BD-1 on the Egnater Rebel 20/Orange 1x12, and I prefer the Fulltone OCD on my Fender Pro Jr.

Rather than being impulsive you may be much more satisfied in the long run by finding your first 2-3 pedals that are exactly what you want - because if you buy pedals that suck your tone and are not your vibe, you are not going to be inspired to play.

Personally the Big Muff Pi doesn't do it for me... I have a Zvex Fuzzfactory which lives up to it's name in versatility (it can be crazy over the top, but it can also be very tame and cool). I also have a dark peppermint fuzz and a Maleko B:Assmaster - just like the distortion/overdrive pedals, each fuzz pedal has an ideal amp pairing.

As far as delays go, I feel the best digital delays ever made for guitar were in the 80s, SDD3000, PCM42, SDE1000, etc. 1up rack digital delays from the 80s have a grit and vibe that is just more musical than any of the new pedals, but that's just one man's opinion, YMMV.

In the end, this is your quest for tone, choose wisely.
Thanks for the advice, LFS. I may be not be playing the pedals myself, but my choices are anything but impulsive. If anything it takes me TOO long to make up my mind! I do agree with your advice to take things slow, and I've actually spent a while this morning trimming that list of pedals and refining the choices, based on listening to many youtube demos. Ditched the compressor, noise surpressor and chorus, at least for now. Current list:

delay: ehx memory boy (plus an expression pedal for those beautiful effects)
tremolo: ehx pulsar (nearly switched it out for a danelectro but the pulsar has many more tweaking options for just a bit more cost)
fuzz: big muff germanium (much prefer the sound of this one to the standard big muff... seems like it can do cleaner, crunchy tones as well as wild self-osscilating freakouts in the style of the zvex)
reverb: digiverb (yeah, it's back in. I'd love a cathedral but apparently the sound is very similar. This thing gets rave reviews and it's less than half the cost and half the size. Only thing I'll miss from the cathedral is that infinite sustain button...)
Gear Guru

this thread has got me thinking... how much have I spent on these things, now? it might be scary to do the computation
personally id go for fewer, but higher quality pedals..

for classic analog delay/slapback.. since the budget doesnt allow for real RE-201, i'd suggest probably the next best thing in existance: strymon ยป El Capistan dTape Echo. Rolands digital recreations are crap compared to this.

for analog delay BBD-style, with modulation.. Malekko 616 or Memory Boy. if modulation isnt mandatory then vintage MemoryMan Deluxe.

tremolo: im using stereo pulsar, modded for speed control via exp pedal, and its tweakable/adequate/transparent. it costs more to have that signature vintage tone, like effectrode tube tremolo (same with their tube vibrato, probably best ive heard but its over the top). another option is getting a Speakeasy Suitcase Tremolo pedal, which is an accurate recreation of Fender Rhodes tremolo, with LDRs and all.. i liked it a lot, and it'll probably replace my pulsar one day. havent tried the dunlop.

chorus: Diamond Pedals Halo is probably best ive heard of the recent designs. high end analog. of the classics Boss CE-2 with some little hifi mods is still fantastic.

phasers: here the list is long, and very dependant on personal taste. ones i own or have played with, and liked the best: moogerfooger 6/12-stage phaser, vintage small stone, custom shop mxr phase45 (something btwn a phaser and uni-vibe), mutron phasor I and II etc

i LOVE zvex wolly mammoth, but that probably aint aplicable for your style. (i use it on bass synths and beatboxes to destroy).
Old 2nd December 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Digitech Space Station.

Coolest pedal ever.

Worth the $300 used price any day.

The reverberator from the same series is awesome too, I just wish it was a wee bit quieter.
Lives for gear
I'm still going to say that, for a basic delay, the Memory Boy is a toy compared to a higher quality analog delay. Seriously, I've got nearly 20 years and literally 100s of different delays under my belt and the MXR Carbon Copy blows it away if you're talking about delay. Heck, the digital Line 6 Echo Park blows it away. It has lots of features but just not a good basic sound.

If you go Line 6, digital distortion and amp emulation isn't great and isn't what you need. Shoegaze guys love their DL4s but the M9/M13 are even better, give you tap tempo, the reverse delays you want, killer warbly effects, great reverbs. The drive pedals get lost in the mix, and don't get me started on how hard it is to make a POD stand out live, leave the "amp emulation" to real amps. I've gigged quite successfully with the M13 or the Boss SE50. I'd actually be perfectly happy with:

Hermida Zendrive
Big Muff
M13 or M9 with expression pedals (or Boss SE50, works the same with better drives)
Maybe an Analogman Comprosser

Total $500-800 (the M13 goest for $325 used, the M9 is hard to find used, the SE50 about $150).
Old 2nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, yeah. I'll be getting my hands on some money soon and as all I have right now is a dunlop wah; I want expand on that a little. I play in a surf/rockabilly band and produce mellow folktronic stuff on the side.
Based on all that, here's my vote:
Dunlop Tremolo
MXR Phase 90
Boss DD-5
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe
Digitech Turbo Flanger or Boss AW-3
Gear Guru

hmm, I just want to throw in an opinion on the Carbon Copy. it was very smooth and lush, sort of glossy even. I found it a bit too dark and smooth for general delay textures and ended up selling it. it was good for wash of sound type stuff, but I didn't care too much for it for shorter delays, which is what I'd usually be going for. just depends on your taste and what you're looking for, I guess. It was very "polite" and I wanted something more "rude." I felt the same way about the MXR phaser (vintage phase 90) I used to own. love some of the other MXR stuff, though, the micro amp is an all time favorite of mine. who knows I might end up biting my tongue and getting a carbon copy again. chances are I'll try a Malekko or AD9 or memory boy first
๐Ÿ“ Reply