The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
KRK or Fostex?
Old 24th November 2010
Here for the gear

KRK or Fostex?

So after a lot of listening, searching and budgeting I have narrowed my search of speakers in my price range to the KRK rockit 5's and the Fostex pm0.5. Does anyone have any advice for this beginner engineer?
Old 24th November 2010
Here for the gear

KRK or Fostex?

I have read reviews on both and I feel they were getting equally good reviews for different reason. I'm just wondering if anyone has used either and has a recommendation.
Old 24th November 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smatthews View Post
I have read reviews on both and I feel they were getting equally good reviews for different reason. I'm just wondering if anyone has used either and has a recommendation.
Check out the VXT series as well... They cost similar, but the VXT is definitely better then the rockit, it day and night. If you use rockit range, why don't you consider the M-audio?

To the point, fostex is better than the rockit, but I suggest you check the VXT series at this price range.

Cheers
Old 24th November 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylai View Post
Check out the VXT series as well... They cost similar, but the VXT is definitely better then the rockit,
Erm...the respective sizes of the VXT to the rokits are almost double the price. Hardly 'similar'.

A friend of mine has the really tiny Fostex's in his setup and they aren't bad...but that's the only experience I've had with Fostex.

As far as the KRK Rokits goes, I've heard the 5s and the 8s in different setups and personally I've never liked them. I use the Yamaha HS50m though, which is a completely different character; since I'm used to the forward sounding midrange of the Yammies, the KRKs almost sound scooped to my ears!

That being said the KRKs are very popular it seems. Depends on how you work and what sound you prefer to work with really.
Old 24th November 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smatthews View Post
So after a lot of listening, searching and budgeting I have narrowed my search of speakers in my price range to the KRK rockit 5's and the Fostex pm0.5. Does anyone have any advice for this beginner engineer?
KRK is quiet good for electronic music. I use VXT4.
Old 24th November 2010
Gear Maniac

Here in hong kong, VXT 4 is around 430USD / pair, while Rockit 5 is around 300USD / pair.

Yes, if you compare them in terms of woofer , they are not quite match, howefer, by spending around 130USD more, you get more than what you paid.

Yamaha HS50/80 is another good alternatives, Fostex is way better than Rockit anyway.
Old 1st December 2010
Here for the gear

KRK or Fostex?

I can get the Fostex for 500 aus, down from 900. Seemed liked a good deal to me.

Thanks guys!
Old 1st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Fostex is way better than Rockit anyway.
+100500
Old 1st December 2010
Here for the gear

Well

I can't say anything about any other speaker company but you will not be disappointed with the KRK Rokit 5's
Old 2nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Fostex sounded better to my ears.
Old 2nd March 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Here in hong kong, VXT 4 is around 430USD / pair, while Rockit 5 is around 300USD / pair.

Yes, if you compare them in terms of woofer , they are not quite match, howefer, by spending around 130USD more, you get more than what you paid.

Yamaha HS50/80 is another good alternatives, Fostex is way better than Rockit anyway.
Hi Ray,

I live in HK and need pair of good monitors. Can you recommend me where i can buy them here? Prefer a place where there are demos to listen to.

Particularly brands such as KRK, Adam, Yamaha, fostex, Behringer, ...

Thanks in advanced!
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

KRK Rokits vs. VXT = night and day difference.

Even if a KRK rep chimed in saying you won't be disappointed, I have to disagree, you will be, perhaps not in the beginning, but give it time.
There are so many things you can cut corners on, especially if you're a beginner on a budget, but monitors, imo, is not one of them.
Not to translate into going way above your budget, just that the Rokits will have you wanting a better pair in no time, they're just so mediocre.
Go to any Guitar Center and listen to those two back to back with your favorite cd, you'll hear it right away.
One will make you frown, the other will make you smile.

VXT or nothing if you go KRK.
Old 2nd March 2013
Here for the gear

Forget Rokits, get VXT6's, wonderful monitors.
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Nut

Can't Go Wrong With KRK's
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

The Fostex PM series is a sleeper,imho.
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

I upgraded the caps and opamps in my fostex pms and now they are surprisingly useful, and sounded just fine before the mod. (The mod did help clear things up a little bit, but not a huge deal) I would spring for the fostex they are good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search