The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio name difficulties Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 22nd November 2010
Gear Addict

Studio name difficulties

Hey Guys, for whatever reason I'm having the toughest time coming up with a name for my little studio.

I am in a warehouse beside the Grand River in Grand Rapids, MI and have been for 2 years. It is a great view, and many folks like that this specific studio has so much natural lighting ( 7 windows facing the river ). But, I'm unsure if I'll be here forever, so it's difficult to settle on a name having to do with this location. Alot of folks also seem to dig the fairly dim lighting that I use with 5 swag/amber hanging lamps and 3 lava lamps for starters.
It is a smaller studio in the sense that it is about 1100 square feet and about $30,000 invested.

My name is Matt Ten Clay, which could have some play in the name also, but I can't come up with anything witty enough.

Pro Tools is the main gig here- tracking, mixing, and also some mastering. I have some outboard gear, and keep things pretty old schoolish in the sense that I don't really do sound replacing or auto tuning. Most bands I work with are local, with a few out of towners. They tend to be full band indie/rock most of the time, but I don't want to pidgeon-hole myself to that.

Word of mouth has been working wonders for me, so the name hasn't been THAT big of a deal, but it'd be nice to make it more official and at least get a website going.

Also, here are some pictures of my place:
Drum/Live Room Treatment?

Any ideas?
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Sonic clayworks?
Old 22nd November 2010
Gear Addict

i would use "Grand and/or Rapids" somewhere, it would tie you to a significant object

-Rapids Recordings
-GR Recordings
-The Rapids
ect
Old 22nd November 2010
Here for the gear

I have trouble with that too. I can't think of witty names because I always overthink it and then they sound stupid to me.

Naming it after yourself will help create a more consistent brand name and image with your previous clients, and it will be easier to maintain in the future if you move elsewhere.

You can tie it in with your surroundings but I believe there is already a studio in Grand Rapids which does that (River City Studios, I think?).

Either way, good luck and try not to over-think it.
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat335 View Post

Naming it after yourself will help create a more consistent brand name and image with your previous clients, and it will be easier to maintain in the future if you move elsewhere.

You can tie it in with your surroundings but I believe there is already a studio in Grand Rapids which does that (River City Studios, I think?).

Either way, good luck and try not to over-think it.
Ten-Clay on Grand. Hyphen optional. Grand used as hype if you move, as in "Ten_Clay on Grand is now Ten-Clay on Avon (Danube, Hudson, Beale Street, etc.)"
Old 22nd November 2010
Matt's.
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

RiverView Recording
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Grand View Studios.

Done. So what do I win?
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear
Studio name difficulties

Studio Seven
Seven Rivers
Ten Clay
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb View Post
Grand View Studios.

Done. So what do I win?
Ha! I was also going to suggest Grand View. You win the satisfaction of knowing you beat me to the punch.
Old 20th January 2011
Gear Addict

Guys, thanks for your input! Progress is being made with your help

strat335, there is already a River City Studio, and I do the same thing you do- think to hard, then step back and think about the name and it is no longer appealing- it always feels goofy and un-perfect, somehow!

I like Ten Clay on Grand, but as far as a website, I'm not sure what I would do... maybe just TenClay - Home.. {sidenote: scratch that, it's taken- wowza, a whole history on the Ten Clays, never seen this before} Maybe just matttenclay.com? I'm not sure if that's easy enough to remember.

River View and Grand View I have wrestled with over and over, for some reason I just can't settle, because, well- what if I move? I mean, it worked for Abbey Road, but I ain't no Abbey Road!

I'm thinking of the possibility of MTC/Empty Sea Studio/Recordings... this would have no connection to the physical place, while having something to do with my name... I would have to come up with a nice graphic incorporating an empty sea with audio somehow.

What do you guys think?
Old 20th January 2011
Gear Addict

I too had the same quandry years ago - what to name the studio.

Then, one day out of the blue, I turned on the tap water and it smelled REALLY bad. Went to ask a neighbor about it and saw EPA trucks everywhere and channel 7 news trucks everywhere. Seems the landlord where I was living at the time had not paid his water bill and his water was shut off so he went and hooked it up an old abandoned/condemned well and didn't use a chlorinator and people were getting the grizzly ****s from drinking it.

Blackwater Recording Studios was born! Umm...right after I moved!! And yes I entertained the name "Grizzly ****s Recording" for about 2 minutes.
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

River Rat Recording. The logo images are endless.
Old 20th January 2011
Gear Addict

Seven Windows Recording Studio?
Old 20th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaels View Post
Seven Windows Recording Studio?
Windows 7 Recording Studio?

I like Matt's. Sounds cosy.
Old 20th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Matt's.
heh
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Whitewater Grand Studios

Claytone Rapids Recording

Ten on the Grand Studio
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

I wouldn`t worry about it much if you move.

However, I do like River View Studio.

Any name you give your place is not really important. If people know that they get great recordings and service from River View Studios, they are not going to care if you move and your windows are staring at a brick wall.

With that said, if worth of mouth continues to spread, you will most likely be able to dictate your next move if and when it comes.

River View Studios... I like it.

Nice space btw.
Old 20th January 2011
Gear Addict

River View Recording
Grand River Recording
Ten Grand Sound

Just a few off the top of my head...
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitar View Post
RiverView Recording
I'm glad you liked the name I came up with.

Over my years in the business if I've learned anything is that you have to be proud to call it whatever you call it. It's always a drag when you "cringe" when you hear the name. My advice is keep looking until you're happy.
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossman777 View Post
River View Recording
Grand River Recording
Ten Grand Sound

Just a few off the top of my head...
Yeah, from the earlier posts!heh
Old 20th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitar View Post
Yeah, from the earlier posts!heh
Hey, some of mine were slightly different...

Seriously though, I suppose I should read through the whole thread before posting... My bad. heh
Old 22nd January 2011
Gear Addict

michaels- awesome story- I don't think I've had any incident as notable as that, but will have to be more aware of those opportunities. There is an animal hide place across the street that at times forces customers on their way into the building, to put up with a very odd smell, which is also combined by a junkyard right next to it...

Ernest Buckley- I'd like to think that the name has little or nothing to do with getting customers in the door, and thus far that seems to be true- all word of mouth/no real name (well, I've been sort of going by 'Skull Studio'). But it's hard to discern what percentage of customers would/could be turned off by a name, if they didn't know what kind of work was being put out here, and they were weighing out several studios... Basically, I would like an edgy/witty/non-genre pidgeonholing/easy-to-remember/having to do with my last name kind of title...haha.. Think I'm putting enough pressure on myself? What's in a name?

I do like Riverview, Riverside, and River Rat, but those all pertain to this river right here, right now, which may not be forever... Would that be weird if I moved elsewhere smug between several buildings?

Another option is something to do with the lighting I use- 6 70's swag/amber hanging lights. I'm also toying with buying more plant-life and going down that road motif-wise.
Old 22nd January 2011
Gear Guru

Rapid Sound

Recording Studios

or

Rapid Records
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Home Plants as an inspiration for a name? Please don't...

What's in a name? That which we call a ficus...

I don't think it's a bad idea to use the given setting for the name. In conjunction with your own name or part of it, you can just reinvent it the next time you move and still have a familiar element for familiarity.

Maybe Matt's on the Rapids, or Matt's on the Grand of course this immediately places a picture in one's head, but hey it's musical...
Old 22nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Not like 'House Plant Studio', but like..."Welcome to the Jungle, Jungle Recordings"..haha, I don't know- at this point I'm considering all options.
Old 22nd January 2011
Gear Guru

I already gave my friend Unclenny my best one.

Mad Science Audio
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I'd work the river / location angle...

WaterSound

WaterSonic

River Sounds

Grand Sound

Sonic Rivers

Riverwater Studios

Riparian Audio

Floodgate Audio

Floodwater Recording (could be unlucky tho)

Otter Studios

I'm running dry....
Old 22nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Studio name difficulties

Grand Design (studio, sound, ent. , recordings, whichever)

Im not super religious but hear me out.

Your last name is Clay - often God's greater plan for your life and the lives of others (also called his Grand Design, with me so far?) is spoke of in metaphor as "shaping you" on that wheel - i forget the name - you know that thing from the movie ghost? Clay spinning around being shaped? That thing lol.

So the Grand Design thing makes sense 3 ways. Do you like?
Old 22nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Sound of view

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search