The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How's the Tonelux console going ? Summing Mixers
Old 14th January 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre tchmil
ok, went to the Vintage king site.
picked the configuration that I have in mind, but where's the info + components for the PT automation?

clear answers please
Prices are on our site.
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemin

it sounds great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind-Over-Midi
Sounds great how? What exactly does it bring to your mixes that you don't have without it? I'm dying for any info that I can get. I'm very intrigued by the Tonelux concept, it seems to be exactly what I need in my studio, but I won't buy until I have a chance to demo it extensively. User feedback is always welcome though!

Bump.

Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

I am so sorry to bother you again , but .....
I went to the Tonelux site and looked for items related to the automation "thing" .
But the closest thing I could find was the motorized fader (on the pricelist)

oh , and by the way, what about scribble strips and such ?
Old 15th January 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre tchmil
I am so sorry to bother you again , but .....
I went to the Tonelux site and looked for items related to the automation "thing" .
But the closest thing I could find was the motorized fader (on the pricelist)

oh , and by the way, what about scribble strips and such ?
You want a whole console, but at the modular price... Contact Sonic Circus or Vintage King, they can do the value added parts.

The motorized fader includes the controller, as stated. That's all there is. It follows the DAW automation, so there is no program from us.
Old 15th January 2006
knobman,

i don't have any eq's so i can't comment on them.

mind over midi,

i'm not big on talking about sound as one man's dark is another man's warm, but i'll try my best. i find that my mixes are very solid sounding when using the tonelux. there is weight to the mixes. the bottom is big and the top end is very clear. i record/mix mostly rock and don't have any desire for anything that's transparent, so the tonelux fits the bill. i'm not a fan of mixing in the box and having a line input console makes mixing so much easier and takes way less time for me. i used to have a harrison console and it's bigger sounding than the harrison. as you can see, i'm not so great at talking about sound. if you're in the LA area and want to hear it, let me know. also, if you have specific questions about, email me your phone number and i'll give you a call. thanks, pete

[email protected]
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneLux
Shame for what? I'm not getting this shame thing. Did I **** on someone's car and get caught?

No you were being a bit harsh when somebody was showing genuine interest in your product. Read Roundbadges post and than yours right after.

I was trying to crack a joke that admittedly wasn`t that funny after I saw that because I couldn`t believe you were dissing somebody that was showing genuine interest in your product.

Your just another businessman like the rest of us around here aren`t you ?
Old 15th January 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc
No you were being a bit harsh when somebody was showing genuine interest in your product. Read Roundbadges post and than yours right after.

I was trying to crack a joke that admittedly wasn`t that funny after I saw that because I couldn`t believe you were dissing somebody that was showing genuine interest in your product.

Your just another businessman like the rest of us around here aren`t you ?
I didn't diss anyone.

See you all at NAMM
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
knobman,

i don't have any eq's so i can't comment on them.

mind over midi,

i'm not big on talking about sound as one man's dark is another man's warm, but i'll try my best. i find that my mixes are very solid sounding when using the tonelux. there is weight to the mixes. the bottom is big and the top end is very clear. i record/mix mostly rock and don't have any desire for anything that's transparent, so the tonelux fits the bill. i'm not a fan of mixing in the box and having a line input console makes mixing so much easier and takes way less time for me. i used to have a harrison console and it's bigger sounding than the harrison. as you can see, i'm not so great at talking about sound. if you're in the LA area and want to hear it, let me know. also, if you have specific questions about, email me your phone number and i'll give you a call. thanks, pete

[email protected]

Pete thanks for taking the time to reply, it is much appreciated. A couple of years ago I would be in LA like twice a month, now I don't know when I'll have the time to come out, so I'll have to take you up on your phone offer instead, thanks for the offer it's quite kind! I miss L.A. though, I really, really miss the Farmers Market in Hollywood on Sundays! Anyone know if thay still have that? Sigh. The only Harrison that I've had the chance to work on was the Series 10, I didn't like the sound of that one very much, I've never worked on any of their analog stuff though.

One more question, have any of the songs on the my music section of your web site been mixed through the Tonelux mixer?

By the way your music is very nice, very nice indeed.

Thanks,

Bill.

Old 15th January 2006
bill,

please don't hesitate to drop an email and i'll give you call. regarding the "my recordings" on my site, none of that was mixed through the tonelux. the tonelux is relatively new.......all that stuff is pretty old (at least 4 or 5 years old) and isn't sonically so great, i just like the music and it reflects my aesthetic. on my site, if you go to the studio tab, and then studio recordings, there are 2 mixes done through the tonelux, longwave and botanica.

i really don't know what you can tell from them, because if i suck as a mixer, it wouldn't tell you anything because i wouldn't be able to make a neve or ssl sound good. would that make an neve or ssl suck?

i really think that it's mostly all in the ears of the mixer rather than the gear. having said that, i have no interest in mixing in the box and love the tonelux as it has made mixing faster, easier, bigger and better. i also admit to being afflicted with GAS (gear aquisition syndrome) and am a true gearslut. please someone intervene so i can have a real life. heh

----------------------------
petemin.com
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
bill,

please don't hesitate to drop an email and i'll give you call. regarding the "my recordings" on my site, none of that was mixed through the tonelux. the tonelux is relatively new.......all that stuff is pretty old (at least 4 or 5 years old) and isn't sonically so great, i just like the music and it reflects my aesthetic. on my site, if you go to the studio tab, and then studio recordings, there are 2 mixes done through the tonelux, longwave and botanica.

i really don't know what you can tell from them, because if i suck as a mixer, it wouldn't tell you anything because i wouldn't be able to make a neve or ssl sound good. would that make an neve or ssl suck?

i really think that it's mostly all in the ears of the mixer rather than the gear. having said that, i have no interest in mixing in the box and love the tonelux as it has made mixing faster, easier, bigger and better. i also admit to being afflicted with GAS (gear aquisition syndrome) and am a true gearslut. please someone intervene so i can have a real life. heh

petemin.com

Pete;

Thanks for the follow up! You are right, I'm not sure what can be gleaned from listening to things in this manner, that thought occurred to me when I posted the question. But these Tonelux threads have been going on for well over a year, and I've been very interested in this concept for all of this time, after a while you get to a point where you'll take what ever small bit of info you can get. It won't take the place of me actually doing some mixing on the Tonelux stuff before I buy, I won't even buy a pair of pants these days without trying them on. (The Pearlman mic I just ordered after hearing only one mp3 being an exception to the rule).

I hear ya on the GAS issue! We all have GAS, that's why we keep coming back to Gearslutz and sifting through all of these annoying threads every day, hoping to discover little pices of gold like the Pearlman, or the Tonelux system which I found out about on G. S. , or how to build your own TubeTraps, that was a really great find indeed.

I agree with you that the key to mixing is not the gear, but the ear, but I'll also add that a overlooked key to great mixing is great songwriting and great playing, you seem to have that ability in spades!

Thanks for your time!

Bill.
Old 18th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I didn't diss anyone.

Sorry Paul.

I posted that after a bad combination of flu, beer, and Patriots losing so my judgement was a little off. (and it`s usually off to begin with.)

Good luck at NAMM.
Old 18th January 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
See you all at NAMM

thumbsup thumbsup
Old 18th January 2006
Lives for gear

Tonelux Choice

A couple of weeks ago I read about the Tonelux and it is the first system that does analog summing, other than a big premium console that makes sense to me. I learned a great deal from David at Sonic Circus, as well as speaking to Paul W. and Pete M. I am looking forward to getting my Tonelux rig.

Stop in for a demo if you are in the neighborhood, Fairbanks Alaska it is 33 below zero right now.

I agree with Pete Min about the role of gear, but also confess that I just like nice tools.
Old 24th January 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc
Sorry Paul.

I posted that after a bad combination of flu, beer, and Patriots losing so my judgement was a little off. (and it`s usually off to begin with.)

Good luck at NAMM.
That's fine. Beer is an unknown known cure for the Flu. Many don't realize that...
Old 24th January 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
bill,

petemin.com
Hi,
Checked out your website and your music.

That is some really, really great stuff!
Your sense of aestethic me like very much.

The Tonelux sounds great too!

You ARE a very good mixer.
Old 1st September 2006
Tonelux COMP/LIM ?

Hi everybody !
I am currently re-designing my studio and thinking about going for the Tonelux solution.
I love the concept sooooo much ...
But I need comps/lims : Paul, any new baby coming soon ?
I read about built-in distressors, too : any news ?

thanx a lot

noize_organizer
Old 2nd September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by noize_organizer View Post
Hi everybody !
I am currently re-designing my studio and thinking about going for the Tonelux solution.
But I need comps/lims : Paul, any new baby coming soon ?
I read about built-in distressors, too : any news ?

thanx a lot

noize_organizer
Everyone needs to call ELI and ask for Dave and ask him when it will be done...

I was going to hold off doing a channel compressor, but I have started working on one.
Old 2nd September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneLux View Post
Everyone needs to call ELI and ask for Dave and ask him when it will be done...

I was going to hold off doing a channel compressor, but I have started working on one.
Wow, that would be cool. Sort of 512ish? I know this is way down the road and I know that you are probably not building to a price point but any ballpark idea of price?
Old 2nd September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
Wow, that would be cool. Sort of 512ish? I know this is way down the road and I know that you are probably not building to a price point but any ballpark idea of price?
The 512 is a mic pre, but the compressor I am working on will have a few new features yet to be found on any compressor made, but I have found them to be very useful. We will all have to wait for Santa....
Old 2nd September 2006
Lives for gear

This all sounds very very exciting Any of Santa's elf's want to elaborate on that?
Old 2nd September 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by noize_organizer View Post
Hi everybody !

Dude..Do yourself a favor,Get a demo ...

LOVE my TLX rig!!!!

Had it alongside an API 3224 for extra inputs/EQ's this week.. f*cking stellarthumbsup
Old 2nd September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Dude..Do yourself a favor,Get a demo ...

LOVE my TLX rig!!!!

Had it alongside an API 3224 for extra inputs/EQ's this week.. f*cking stellarthumbsup
Yeah ... I'll get the double preamp from the Swiss distributor (great guy, in fact) but I am more interested in a Vrack full of EQs ...
I'll probably have to wait a bit.
Old 2nd September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl View Post
This all sounds very very exciting Any of Santa's elf's want to elaborate on that?
Elf's have had their toungues removed. Sorry, but we had to do it to keep the feature set a secret. Don't want any cloners to get the idea.....
Old 2nd September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneLux View Post
The 512 is a mic pre, but the compressor I am working on will have a few new features yet to be found on any compressor made, but I have found them to be very useful. We will all have to wait for Santa....
Typo on my part... 525 (hey, it's only one number off, not bad for a Friday night post).....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search