The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JDK Audio R24 vs Square State Solid State EQ-B
Old 5th November 2010
Lives for gear

I'm wondering which of these two EQ will give me a better results in mix-bus operation (mastering and so on). Two SSSS EQ Model B and one stereo JDK is basicaly the same price. What about sound quality and which one is more musical?
Old 5th November 2010
Lives for gear

sent you a PM with my thoughts
Old 5th November 2010
Lives for gear

Disclosure: I haven't used the r24. However I'm very familiar with the APSI eqs they were based on as well as the SSSS eq. They're tools that are in a similar vein but come from different directions.

The Ssss eq is a swinging inputs inductive coil design. That puts it more in the sphere/auditronics world of things, or even more roughly the pultec. But it's designed to be far more surgical than those eqs in order to land somewhere in the middle.

The APSIs are defendants of the parametric eq, which would be used more for carving than shaping if I had to use rough terms. However it was designed to be a bit more broad and colorful, also placing it somewhere in-between these two sounds.

I know from experience that the model B is extremely well built by a small company of fantastic people who offer great technical support. I haven't used the r24 yet but I haven't hear stories of them dying either, and having quite a bit of experience with API products I can vouch for how robust they are.

In short: they're both fantastic tools that do somewhat similar things. You wouldn't be missing out with either of them. To be more specific you'd have to try them both out yourself, but I think you'll be happy either way.
Old 6th November 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the comparision!

I saw that Black Lion Audio AM/CHA1 EQ has also a stereo EQ in that price range. What about this one?
Old 6th November 2010
Lives for gear

no clue!
Old 6th November 2010
Gear Guru

I just had the SSST Eq here as part of the Tape Op board EQ tour. I can say this. That is a super freaking cool piece of gear. I used it on about 4 mixes before I (sadly) sent it on it's merry way. It's a seriously good sounding unit on a lot of sources.
Old 10th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Any more comments on these 3 EQs?

SSSS
JDK
and Black Lion ???

Are the unstepped controls on the JDK really such a big turnoff on the mixbus?
I read lots of guys also use other unstepped units for this application... and never complain about this.
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Rockter View Post
Any more comments on these 3 EQs?

SSSS
JDK
and Black Lion ???

Are the unstepped controls on the JDK really such a big turnoff on the mixbus?
I read lots of guys also use other unstepped units for this application... and never complain about this.
Bumping for this. I'm looking at how to spend about $1k on an outboard stereo EQ.
Old 30th January 2014
Can't speak for the others, but I literally brought home the JDK R24 last night! First impressions were fantastic. Nice smooth open top end, pretty robust lows that don't overpower, and a sweet midrange. Added nice punch to a drum buss, brought a vocal track to life, and spiced up a rather anemic bass track. I love it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search