The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording Problems Digital Converters
Old 4th November 2010
Gear Nut

Recording Problems

Every 5 minutes or so during recording I get crackles in the sound. Then, after some time, the crackling disappears and comes back again. The crackling happens only when I record/monitor external gear like synths or effect units. This is really annoying. I am using an Echo Audiofire 12 and my Buffer Size is at 288 Samples running ASIO. My computer is a Dell Studio XPS 8100 with Intel Core i7 and 8GB RAM running Windows 7. My WLAN-Card is not active during recording/playback. I hope you can help me out.
Old 4th November 2010
Gear Nut

I forgot: I am using Ableton Live 7.
Old 4th November 2010
Lives for gear

I'd say your buffer size is too small for your unit. 99% of the problems I've had with crackling and stuff was too small of a buffer size. Increased buffer = increased latency though, so you have to find a happy medium. Lemme know if that helps.
Old 4th November 2010
Gear Nut

Is your master clock set up properly?
Old 4th November 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAVERUNNER View Post
Is your master clock set up properly?
What do you mean exactly with "master clock"?
Old 4th November 2010
Gear Nut

OK so now I tried various things. I increased the buffer size to 400 Samples and the crackes while recording happen less often but they are still there. The only problem now is that the normal playback gets distorted after ca. 20 minutes with the buffer size at 400. Even with higher buffer sizes like 700 the playback crackles after some time. And a buffer size of 700 should be managable for my PC, with Core i7 and 8GB RAM. I am using the version 4.8 driver of Echo, because the version 5.5 is even worse. The version 4.8 is not for Windows 7 though, only for XP and Vista but it "works" on Windows 7 too in my case. All this is just frustrating.
Old 4th November 2010
Lives for gear
This might be a dumb question or two but:

Are you sure this isn't digital distortion? You're not recording/playing back too hot?

Are the crackles on the track? In the waveform? I can't tell from your post whether they are getting recorded or if it's just a playback/monitoring phenomenon.
Old 5th November 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDW View Post
This might be a dumb question or two but:

Are you sure this isn't digital distortion? You're not recording/playing back too hot?

Are the crackles on the track? In the waveform? I can't tell from your post whether they are getting recorded or if it's just a playback/monitoring phenomenon.

Nope I am not recording or playing back too hot. The levels are all in the green. The crackles are in the recording and in the playback/monitoring.
Old 5th November 2010
Gear Addict

Try playing the individual file through Windows Media Player instead of the DAW. See if it still crackles.

I would agree that it definitely sounds like a buffer issue. I mix with my buffer and sample set very high because latency is not an issue for me during mixing. Now that I have direct monitoring in Cubasem tracking is also not an issue with high latency either (I digress).

Keep me posted.
Old 5th November 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguitar View Post
Try playing the individual file through Windows Media Player instead of the DAW. See if it still crackles.

I would agree that it definitely sounds like a buffer issue. I mix with my buffer and sample set very high because latency is not an issue for me during mixing. Now that I have direct monitoring in Cubasem tracking is also not an issue with high latency either (I digress).

Keep me posted.
The normal playback of songs with Windows Media Player and Itunes is perfect. No crackles at all. Audio from the Internet like Youtube etc. is working perfect too.
Maybe it is a Buffer problem, but when I am using a Buffer Size of 288 Samples with a Sample rate of 44.1 while recording, I should not get any crackles with my system. (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM) Or am I wrong?
Old 5th November 2010
Lives for gear

I sometimes get that from Ableton and changing the buffer size gets rid of it
Old 5th November 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds like a sync issue to me. If not could be a hardware problem bad cap or something perhaps.
Old 6th November 2010
Gear Nut

Ok, now I changed the Buffer Size to 1056 Samples and it seems to work without crackles, both, recording and playback. Only the latency now is somehow annoying. xD I'll have to experiment a bit with Ableton Live's Delay Compensation for that. Funny enough now the normal playback of songs in Itunes is crackling, but playing back songs via Windows Media Player works perfect.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search