The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A really good SM57 counterfeit
Old 1st November 2010
Here for the gear

A really good SM57 counterfeit

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I've been watching this forum for quite some time. Great stuff here!

I know this has been discussed many times in many places but I recently set out to grab a couple extra SM57 mics for our guitarists (the PL-9's were pretty harsh imo) and when they came in I almost thought they were real. Good for me places like this had already made cautious so I looked closer. They're fakes with the correct color wires (mostly) so I did a write up of my findings that some people might find useful. I wanted to do the write up to educate the seller about the problem as he had no clue (and is currently chasing down the band that sold him the mics). Anyway I also compiled several other examples and within 4 PDFs I think I have tons of great info for people to use to help identify fake SM57s.

The mics I received recently are written up in "A_Really_Good_Fake_SM57.pdf". The other pdfs I came up with are based on info I've seen here and other places.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A_Really_Good_Fake_SM57.pdf (3.99 MB, 2540 views) File Type: pdf Another_Fake_SM57.pdf (1.25 MB, 517 views) File Type: pdf One_More_Fake_SM57.pdf (632.0 KB, 241 views) File Type: pdf Yet_Another_Fake_SM57.pdf (154.3 KB, 370 views)

Last edited by Ralf Walter; 1st November 2010 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: Attaching PDFs
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

Just use the manage attachments down below and attach them to your post.
Old 1st November 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
Just use the manage attachments down below and attach them to your post.
Thanks for the tip! All uploaded and ready to view.
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

As a note for the future - the best thing you can do to avoid buying fakes is simply buy from an approved Shure dealer.

The fact is, any shop who isn't an approved Shure dealer cannot buy from the distributer, and can ONLY buy from other Shure dealers. Buying from a Dealer then selling on couldn't be done at a profit, and still be cheaper than the dealer, could it?
Old 1st November 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
As a note for the future - the best thing you can do to avoid buying fakes is simply buy from an approved Shure dealer.

The fact is, any shop who isn't an approved Shure dealer cannot buy from the distributer, and can ONLY buy from other Shure dealers. Buying from a Dealer then selling on couldn't be done at a profit, and still be cheaper than the dealer, could it?
Totally agreed. Fortunately my 2 DMK57-52 kits were from Shure dealers but these other 2 mics I simply got sloppy and placed a bid before heading out to band practice. To my horror - I won the auction for around $127 for both which raised a huge red flag.
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf Walter View Post
Totally agreed. Fortunately my 2 DMK57-52 kits were from Shure dealers but these other 2 mics I simply got sloppy and placed a bid before heading out to band practice. To my horror - I won the auction for around $127 for both which raised a huge red flag.
Auctions can be more dangerous. Advertising them as '2 old SM57s we found lying around the warehouse' could be completely true.

The bigger problem I've found is people swapping. I've worked in major London studios and identified counterfeit mics. Can only be assumed that a client came in with a (knowingly) counterfeit SM57 and whilst the engineer's eyes were elsewhere, swapped it with a real one (in the big studios there are plastic tubs just full of loose 57s, it'd never be seen).
Old 1st November 2010
Gear Maniac

I just helped a man who bought a counterfeit Neumann TLM 103. Different capsule and electronics. Horrible, HORRIBLE design. He said he thought it was real, because it sounded good, but he got a weird feeling when he opened it. He asked me to take a look at it and I was like DANG, that’s not a Neumann capsule! haha. It was just awful. But he went to chase down the guy who sold him the mic and reported the serial number to Neumann. He bought the mic on craigslist! tsk tsk tsk... You should only buy from certified dealers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search