The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Compound problem
Old 1st November 2010
Gear Head
Compound problem

Hi there, gear slutz.

I've been trying to try out sidechaining, and got it working on a focusrite penta, but not on the compounder, where i want it.

so, the part of the set up in question:

kik from a sampler goes straight into ch 1 of the compounder, then back out into a balanced line in on the mixer.

Korg MS-10 goes into ch 2 of the compounder, then out into another mixer channel.

direct out (post fader) comes from the kik channel of the mixer to the [key in] of ch2 of the compounder.

i was expecting the kik to duck the ms-10 when the kik kicks, but instead, it opens the gate, resulting in the ms 10 gating IN when the kik kicks, instead of ducking out, and it doesn't appear to affect the compression.

back to front, no?

have i got my wires crossed somewhere?
there's a stereo jack input on the 'key input', but is that send/return, or balanced in?

Unfortunately, the usual superbness of focusrite manuals appears to have missed any decent sidechain info, and any google searches tend to lead me to software based systems.

in a minor brainwave moment, I tried stereo linking the compounder, so the kik compression would affect the ch 2, but channel 2's bass still affects the compression too, just using the knob settings of ch 1.

any help much appreciated.

Ta.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search