The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Paypal scam beware
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

Paypal scam beware

I just got a VERY legit looking email that was supposed to be from Paypal but I knew it was fishy and if you check the address its spelled paypall (to letter Ls at the end).

Beware!

Its the typical "click our link" to resolve the issue. Referenced fraudulent credit card activity and a paypal case number but its 100% fake.

Just a heads up to all those who use paypal!

HERE is a copy of the text- And notice they try to scare you that your account will be closed if you do not respond.

(JUST a note- if you use paypal- always log in from the home page. Never use links...)

FAKE EMAIL BELOW-

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.We requested information from you for the following reason:

We recently received a report of unauthorized credit card use associated with this account. As a precaution, we have limited access to your PayPal account in order to protect against future unauthorized transactions.

Case ID Number: PP-154-568-714 In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain limited until the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately, if access to your account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to follow our verification procedure as soon as possible to help avoid this.

Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.

This is a final reminder to log in PayPal as soon as possible.
We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department
PayPal Email ID PP-154-568-714
Old 1st November 2010
Gear Addict

Paypal scam beware

Thanks for the heads up. Awsome post
Old 1st November 2010
Gear Head

White papa gold?

Nice.
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

I got stung with one of these for my bank
I never ever answer emails from pay pal or my bank 99% of the time it's a scam !!!
I've had that one for pay pal twice now ,once bitten twice shy methinks
Old 1st November 2010
Gear Addict

McDingus, you might want to edit out the links in your post.
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

to avoid scam, open a new browser and log into your paypal/bank manually to check that.

also watch out for the newest scam! unauthorized payments on your credit card! they´re up to 29,90 USD, most of them below and that´s the tricky part. i had 4 payments i recognized 2 weeks later...
Old 1st November 2010
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

please forward the email to spoof (at) paypal (dot) com
Old 1st November 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmacko View Post
please forward the email to spoof (at) paypal (dot) com
Yeah do that, I have forwarded many many emails over the years, I seem to get less now than I used to.

The first giveaway with most frauds like this is that they don't address it to you personally. That is not to say if they do use your name that it is legit (especially if your email address includes your name)

matt
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnationsauce View Post
McDingus, you might want to edit out the links in your post.

I just did.

Funny, I didn't before cause I dont care but now theres 2 posts about that so I may as well!

Knowing your log in name means nothing- anybody you do a transaction with knows that info!

The key to preventing any fraud is checking your account regularly.
Old 1st November 2010
The ones that kill me are the ones that address me as 'Sales', which is one of the e-mail accounts for my business. It would never be used for anything remotely to do with banks or PayPal or anything else like that.

In fact, one really easy way to spot those types of e-mails is to have an unused e-mail that you just put out there, to make sure it gets picked up by spam bots. Anything that comes to that e-mail address will be spam or scam. Since they will come at basically the same time, the one to your legitimate address will be generally right there beside the one to your bogus address when sorted by time. So just delete any of those types of messages.

Before too much longer this type of thing is going to have to be dealt with in some more reasonable way. It's really getting out of hand. If you run a server, the amounts of attacks on them is just crazy. I'll see thousands of login attempts at a time, try to get administrative passwords (which they will never do since it's a completely random sequence that I can barely remember.) And of course since there's no way to prove origin addresses, you can't use address filtering on them, because they just change the apparent address every time.

I would seriously like to some people do LONG jail terms over this kind of thing. I mean it's enormous scale fraud really. It should be a huge felony offense, even if it's just so goober in his bedroom. If someone did this kind of stuff through the real mail, they'd be in jail in short order.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search