The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
My first actual recording project...
Old 31st October 2010
Gear Head

My first actual recording project...

Ive recorded bands and friends all the time back in high school ( being that only a year ago). But recently an old band of mine wants to step up their game and record a decent sounding demo.

Since they are all my best friends I decided to record them for free. But that is not the problem at all, the problem is that I have absolutely no place to record them.

I want to know of any homemade techniques of getting a decent sound in a not so decent room. I have good mics and I am in the process of getting new ones for the upcoming project( which is in December by the way). But I feel that no matter how good the microphone is if the room isn't good then why bother ?..

Thats just my problem any tips would be welcome thanks
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

If the room doesn't sound good, try to make it sound dead and then add a bit of reverb when mixing. If you have a little money to spend, the best way is to make absorption panels for bass traps etc out of rockwool insulation or similar. But if you have no money and want to make the most of what you have, mattresses, couches, cushions, heavy curtains are helpful in absorbing sound reflections. If you can, put heavy absorption in the corners of the room to absorb bass frequencies since these cause more problems. But if you close-mic everything, room acoustics is a bit less critical.
Old 31st October 2010
Gear Head

I'll give you some advice considering I did the same thing a year ago for a friend's band. Long story short, it ended up wrecking our friendship.

If there is an artistical leader in the band, you'll want to establish if you are the producer or the recording engineer ON AN EARLY STAGE. Listen very carefully to this; if you do not do this, you will probably end up with this artistical leader-guy all locked up and nervous since he feels threatened from your advices on how the songs could end up better. Find out if they want your advice.

I might sound very harsh, it's just that I went through this dilemma. On the other hand, I hadn't learnt the "At All Times, Remain Cool As A Rock"-rule.

Aaaaaaaaaand... They DID play progressive-rock-metal-fusion-drum 'n bass.... It's a crisis intefering with artists.

Anyway, don't be discouraged. Play fast, die young.
Old 31st October 2010
Gear Maniac

The stuff you can hear over at No No No Señor was all recorded in a really small space (don't know the exact size but it's so tiny that a power-trio can just barely stand in it and play) with a pretty crappy array of microphones (AKG C1000) and Preamps (Phonic Helix) and I dare say it still is pretty decent demo material.

Overhead in XY, everything else was pretty much close miked. No room microphones unless you count a cheap condenser a few feet in front of the guitar cabinet. No samples or DI was used. Point being: you can do it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search