The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help Me Buy My New Guitar Rig!
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

Help Me Buy My New Guitar Rig!

I've been looking hard into the 11R (now that the new POD HD500 is out) and at first was going to save up for an AXE FX Ultra. Currently I have the VG-99 in my studio and I know that a lot of VG users are a bit dismayed since Roland didn't come out with any upgrades for the unit and the cabs seem to come up a bit short while their guitar modeling seems to be good. (However, the new Variax MKII maybe be the new one to beat!)

My dilemma is this:

1. Do I invest in the 11R although it won't do dual amps (right?) and doesn't have as many cabs etc., as the Axe FX (correct)?

2. Save the $$$ and get the POD HD500 and have a newer nice piece that I can take with me. Then pick up the Variax MKII and run together.

3. Don't get either... work with what I have (VG-99) in the studio, wait for the NEW Axe FX (down the road for sure), and pick up a small modeling amp like the VOX VT30 or the new VT 40 + coming out soon.

Since I'm not currently playing live but in the middle of producing my songs and such, I REALLY want something stellar for the studio (first). Perhaps throw a mic on the VOX VT amp and cut tracks that way and THEN add the cabs and FX, or use ONLY the guitar models on the VG-99 and then Guitar Rig 4, Amplitube 3, and the like.

As a side note... I would also like to not be confined to playing my electrics in my small home studio only so the idea of something I could jam with like in my living room and then pickup a small PA to run through is another factor in the game!

Any tips or insight would be most appreciated!

SEA
Old 31st October 2010
Gear Addict

I don't suppose a good ol fashioned tube amp is out of the question?
Any particular reason you are set on a modeling amp?
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

I'm biased, but I would go for the Axe-FX. The next generation wont be for a few years and the Axe-FX is a killer rig. It sounds better than 11, to me and as good as any tube amp that I've played.
Old 31st October 2010
Gear Addict

I have all 3, vg99, 11R, Axe Fx Ultra, and about 20 classic amp heads. I could part with all of it except the Axe Fx. Best guitar product, period!
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

The quest for versatility ends with a good all tube amp and a few different guitars...
Old 31st October 2010
Gear Head

I've had the POD HD. Best they've done so far. Seemed a lot better than "11".
My answer: a variax and Axe FX. To quote Steve Vai (about Axe FX) "It's all I need now".
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynugz007 View Post
I don't suppose a good ol fashioned tube amp is out of the question?
Any particular reason you are set on a modeling amp?
THat's "Phase II". I have the Egnater 2X12 cab (gunna load it with some good speakers) and want the MOD stuff. Put it in the other bedroom with 2 great mics and have at it!
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never1 View Post
I'm biased, but I would go for the Axe-FX. The next generation wont be for a few years and the Axe-FX is a killer rig. It sounds better than 11, to me and as good as any tube amp that I've played.
Dang!!!! A Few Years Eh?
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamk View Post
I have all 3, vg99, 11R, Axe Fx Ultra, and about 20 classic amp heads. I could part with all of it except the Axe Fx. Best guitar product, period!
SHEEEEETTTT!!!!! Guess I'll have to "Save My Nickels and Save My Dimes" for my "409!"
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWow View Post
I've had the POD HD. Best they've done so far. Seemed a lot better than "11".
My answer: a variax and Axe FX. To quote Steve Vai (about Axe FX) "It's all I need now".
YA! Might have to get the POD HD500, the new Variax, and then save up fo the Axe FX Ultra.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search