The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Samples for MPC1000 question... Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 31st October 2010
Here for the gear

Samples for MPC1000 question...

So I've been looking into getting an MPC for a variety of percussion ideas I want to record, but I see a lot of people asking about whether to get an MPC OR Kontakt/Reason/some other software.
This kinda confuses me because, realistically, couldn't you get the MPC and then use the samples from any of those programs and transfer them onto the MPC to use? I know this would probably be more expensive, but I can't seem to figure out where I'd get samples otherwise (apart from making my own and I'm not sure how easy that is, or buying those sample kits that you see advertised on MPC-stuff).
I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting the MPC for the interface and using any sounds I can get my hands on, or if it would be more logical to get something more along the lines of the Machinedrum SPS-1 mkII and just use the sounds that are on there.
Any advice greatly appreciated and I apologise for my n00b-ness.
Thanks.
Old 2nd November 2010
Here for the gear

Anyone?
Old 3rd November 2010
Gear Head
Hi. I got an MPC (2500) after many a hardware sequencer failed to exite, and although it took the longest to get my head around, it was soooo worth it.
If you had a 2500 with the optional cd drive, you can take any sound, any length off any cd, or take any sound from it's line in's.
you can get them on ebay for around £500/600, practically unused if you can find one that got bought by someone who never managed to get their head around it.
there's quite a few of them around, i reckon.
if you get one, there's a free JJ operating system that gives you much clearer grid edit, easier naming of things, & lots more besides.
the mpc forums seem to be full of break beaters (for want of a better word) but the mpcs are wide open in terms of how to use them. theres so many possibilities, and they'd be great for any style, i reckon.
really easy once you know how, but it takes a while!
Old 3rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Be sure to check out these samples for your MPC...

MPC Programs | ObiAudio
Old 3rd November 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks for your replies, but, just clarifying, could you buy a program like Kontakt or Reason or etc. and use samples from that on the MPC 1000? The 2500 looks good, but it's out of my price range, and slightly impractical for gigs because of its size. Thanks again.
Old 3rd November 2010
Gear Head
I don't know the 1000, but it is not a midi controller, in that i don't think it can trigger sounds in your DAW, but if it has a smart card, you can mount that on your computer, and load the folders as required, then on the mpc, assign the samples to the pads of a program, & play/record/sequence them on the mpc.
maybe it can sequence the samples on the computer. I'm the wrong person to ask, trying my hardest to avoid a computer in my set up. (except for organising samples & synth sounds.)
there's the akai mpc forums, but beware, they may tell you to read the *%[email protected] manual.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search