The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Band Listen
Old 30th October 2010
  #1
Gear Head
 
Blasco's Avatar
 

New Band Listen

This is a new mix I've done of my band, the former members, Jose Manuel (21) and myself David (18).

We would like some feedback on the mix, sound and all you might find that can be done in a better way.
Although I live in spain I rather the CLA type of sound yet it's not that great of course but I try my best to get a good sound In my garage.
Attached Files

BICHO MALO MIX.mp3 (7.30 MB, 1637 views)

Old 30th October 2010
  #2
Gear Head
 
Blasco's Avatar
 

on the way

i will post some more mixes soon but please take a listen
Old 31st October 2010
  #3
Gear Nut
 

I noticed that the lead vocal dominates the mix a little much for me. I would tuck it back and dirty it up a little. It might make the track rock a little harder by giving the music a more prominent role.

Sounds good.
Old 31st October 2010
  #4
Gear Head
 
Blasco's Avatar
 

Vocal

Yeah, that would be done if this mix wasn't for spain.. ¬¬ here the philosophy of mixing is hardly heraing any drums, mostly acoustic guitar and all vocal.
it's not a bad idea of course, there's no correct or incorrect way of mixing, but i'd rather the voice a little bit more in the mix, but this is the way I have to focuse it in spain, and there's more, people in spain who have listened to the mix all want the voice more in front of the mix, they find that the instruments cover the voice haha.
Old 31st October 2010
  #5
Gear Addict
 
David Watts's Avatar
 

The vocal's just a bit too loud in the opening verse, once it all kicks in it's fine.

If it was me, I'd probably crisp up the guitars a bit more and give the toms a bit more punch. The snare sounds a little isolated too - a little too sample-replaced maybe...

Overall though it sounds like a good, clean, solid mix - good work thumbsup

To take up it a notch, I'd maybe think about playing around with the production on the lead vocal... just a few 'ear-candy' elements to keep it fresh.

Oh, and dump to organ slide at the end! just hold the note and let it fade.

Last edited by David Watts; 31st October 2010 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: spellings
Old 31st October 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasco View Post
This is a new mix I've done of my band, the former members, Jose Manuel (21) and myself David (18).

We would like some feedback on the mix, sound and all you might find that can be done in a better way.
Although I live in spain I rather the CLA type of sound yet it's not that great of course but I try my best to get a good sound In my garage.
Hi Blasco,

Thanks for sharing your work!

- Work on the verse melody and chord changes
- Use a less tense drum groove
- Lower the tempo by 20%
- Transpose the song down -1
- Work on the arrangement more, add some vocal harmonies and overdubs, remove the dum-dum-dum on the electric guitar in the verses and just add some guitar textures there, replace the dum-dum-dum with a keyboard/paino/organ that has some long notes as well
- Lower the volume on hi-hat, cymbals
- Lower the volume of electric guitar, remove some distortion, use a telecaster instead
- Add low bass frequencies on bass guitar so that it doesn't clash with the electric guitar
- Increase the volume slightly on accoustic guitar, add body
- Replace the organ sound completely with a more vibrant organ sound that is not this muddy and dry, add a little reverb
- Add body (low and mid frequencies) on vocals and also add some reverb, now it's a bit too dry and sharp overall. Change vocal rhythm, phrasing, dynamics, tone lengths etc. to make the vocals more expressful and sensitive. Open up the mouth more inside (like singing oooohhh ) and add some stomach frequencies as well.
- Tune the instruments more in tune also work on the vocal harmonies to make those more in tune. Also stereo process these.
- Add some r&b rhythm textures to it by working on the bass line and drums

I think the above combination will sort of make the song more emotional and less tense, but with the same underlying song message. It will also make it a bit more in balance so that individual tones in the arrangements are better heard. I think generally the song is sort of uplifting and easy to consume, the band team is tight together, it's just that the mix is not finnished yet. As a producer I would replace the american style of this arrangement with a more "italian production", maybe go for a style like this:



Good luck!
Old 31st October 2010
  #7
Gear Addict
 
David Watts's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm View Post
Hi Blasco,

Thanks for sharing your work!

- Work on the verse melody and chord changes
- Use a less tense drum groove
- Lower the tempo by 20%
- Transpose the song down -1
- Work on the arrangement more, add some vocal harmonies and overdubs, remove the dum-dum-dum on the electric guitar in the verses and just add some guitar textures there, replace the dum-dum-dum with a keyboard/paino/organ that has some long notes as well
- Lower the volume on hi-hat, cymbals
- Lower the volume of electric guitar, remove some distortion, use a telecaster instead
- Add low bass frequencies on bass guitar so that it doesn't clash with the electric guitar
- Increase the volume slightly on accoustic guitar, add body
- Replace the organ sound completely with a more vibrant organ sound that is not this muddy and dry, add a little reverb
- Add body (low and mid frequencies) on vocals and also add some reverb, now it's a bit too dry and sharp overall. Change vocal rhythm, phrasing, dynamics, tone lengths etc. to make the vocals more expressful and sensitive. Open up the mouth more inside (like singing oooohhh ) and add some stomach frequencies as well.
- Tune the instruments more in tune also work on the vocal harmonies to make those more in tune. Also stereo process these.
- Add some r&b rhythm textures to it by working on the bass line and drums

I think the above combination will sort of make the song more emotional and less tense, but with the same underlying song message. It will also make it a bit more in balance so that individual tones in the arrangements are better heard. I think generally the song is sort of uplifting and easy to consume, the band team is tight, it's just that the mix is not finnished yet. As a producer I would replace the american style of this arrangement with a more "italian production", maybe go for a style like this:



Good luck!
erm... it's not 1989 any more you know...!
Old 31st October 2010
  #8
Gear Head
 
TomPD's Avatar
 

Sounds good to me.
Old 31st October 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
mikethedrummer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasco View Post
This is a new mix I've done of my band, the former members, Jose Manuel (21) and myself David (18).

We would like some feedback on the mix, sound and all you might find that can be done in a better way.
Although I live in spain I rather the CLA type of sound yet it's not that great of course but I try my best to get a good sound In my garage.
Less mud more presence on pretty much everything. "CLA" mixes are very bright. VERY bright.
Old 1st November 2010
  #10
Gear Head
 
Blasco's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm View Post
Hi Blasco,

Thanks for sharing your work!

- Work on the verse melody and chord changes
- Use a less tense drum groove
- Lower the tempo by 20%
- Transpose the song down -1
- Work on the arrangement more, add some vocal harmonies and overdubs, remove the dum-dum-dum on the electric guitar in the verses and just add some guitar textures there, replace the dum-dum-dum with a keyboard/paino/organ that has some long notes as well
- Lower the volume on hi-hat, cymbals
- Lower the volume of electric guitar, remove some distortion, use a telecaster instead
- Add low bass frequencies on bass guitar so that it doesn't clash with the electric guitar
- Increase the volume slightly on accoustic guitar, add body
- Replace the organ sound completely with a more vibrant organ sound that is not this muddy and dry, add a little reverb
- Add body (low and mid frequencies) on vocals and also add some reverb, now it's a bit too dry and sharp overall. Change vocal rhythm, phrasing, dynamics, tone lengths etc. to make the vocals more expressful and sensitive. Open up the mouth more inside (like singing oooohhh ) and add some stomach frequencies as well.
- Tune the instruments more in tune also work on the vocal harmonies to make those more in tune. Also stereo process these.
- Add some r&b rhythm textures to it by working on the bass line and drums

I think the above combination will sort of make the song more emotional and less tense, but with the same underlying song message. It will also make it a bit more in balance so that individual tones in the arrangements are better heard. I think generally the song is sort of uplifting and easy to consume, the band team is tight together, it's just that the mix is not finnished yet. As a producer I would replace the american style of this arrangement with a more "italian production", maybe go for a style like this:



Good luck!

thanks for taking the time to answer in such a detailed way. If i had the time then I would definetly use some of this ideas but this is just a "demo" we recorded with a 003 of digidesign jaja maybe when we get into a professional studio we will do it better.
Old 1st November 2010
  #11
Gear Head
 
Blasco's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethedrummer View Post
Less mud more presence on pretty much everything. "CLA" mixes are very bright. VERY bright.
True dude, but I think i'm on the way to it, i just need much more parctice and his ears haha.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump