The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
iPods!
Old 30th October 2010
Deleted User
iPods!

Hi guys,

I can't find anything on the rough SPL that iPods ommit. Being an iPod user, I don't want to think that I'm slowly allowing myself to go dead at all, so what SPL are iPods at full wack? I listen through a pair of Sennheisser 201's

Thanks!

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 30th October 2010
Gear Addict

There's probably a lot of math involved, given that different speakers will react differently based on their size and mass. Suffice it to say those things pack enough of a punch to do serious damage.

Sorry I can't help with an exact number. I am curious what kind of range iPods are capable of.
Old 30th October 2010
As the Captain said, it depends a lot on the headphones you're using so I'd recommend checking out the specs for the HD201s. As far as I remember they're pretty powerful though. I used to use them a few years ago. I have a pair of HD205s for my iPod now and with the iPod on half volume I'm usually comfortable, sometimes that's too loud. I have, on occassion, used the 205s as speakers so that says something about the kind of SPLs you can get out of them. If I'd have put them on my head with that kind of volume I'd have damaged something heh
Old 30th October 2010
Lives for gear

Hi, here's a non scientific way to make sure you don't go deaf. I always set on my volume limiter on my iPod touch. However I will only set it playing back one of my mixes that has the same loudness as commercial singles. And I set in first thing in the morning when I just wake up. This is when your wars are most sensitive. You'll find that in the middle of the day your volume feels lower, resist the temptation to increase the volume limit level.

Josef horhay
Mixing engineer
Www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 31st October 2010
Deleted User
iPods!

So if I lock them on half level, I should be okay to listen all the time?

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

Well, take half level as a rough guide, but as others have said, it comes down do your headphone spec more than the ipods, (and also the kind of music you're listening to). But yeah, those are pretty powerful phones you've got, so be careful. The setting your volume first thing in the morning thing is a great idea, def give it a go. And just be aware of how your ears are feeling after an hour or so of listening --- if they're feeling tired, then you're hitting them with too much volume.

At least you're proper headphones --- they're a little less dangerous than earbuds for hearing damage ---- for the same volume setting on your ipod, earbuds will be somewhere around 6-9db louder!
Old 31st October 2010
dsl
Gear Nut

Set the Volume a little lower than you "want it" - within a minute it will sound
as loud as you "wanted it" (if that makes any sense).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search